Neo-Air vs Prolite 4

baltocharlie

Hey folks: just came back from a 4 day 260 mile, solo self-supported bike tour of New York's Finger Lakes region. Very enjoyable but damn hilly. Most campsites had beautiful grassy tent pads, a rarity these days. My prolite 4 pad was great on the grass...not so great on the 1 site that had cement like crusher rock pad. So is the Neo-Air that much better? The small(short??) one is @ campsavers @ $90.00 plus another 20% of and free shipping. Kinda pricey but a good nights sleep may be worth it. I think it is a short model. My Prolite 4 is short and works. BUT I wonder about the Neo, being thicker, might the short be problematic for dangling feet. I don't need my feet to be on a pad but hanging off a 2.5" drop might be a pain.

I've used both and the extra thickness of the neoair is worth it to me. Hanging off a big drop sucks though. I use the XL neoair so I can spread out on it.

I'm not sure about the Neo-air. I use Big Agnes. 2.5" to 3" of sleeping bliss. I used to use a prolite until I came to my senses. I wish I would have used a thicker pad for the first 15 years I was backpacking. The thicker the better I say, but if you have space/weight limits compare the specs. I went with the Big Agnes because it packed smaller, was the same weight, gave thermal protection from the ground, and was a chushier feel because of the thickness. I don't thick I'll ever use anything else, especially when I go places that are rocky. You don't want to put to much pressure directly on the rocks but at least the hard ground is further away from my pressure points. (My wife and I will even sleep on them at home because the memory foam cover we have for the pad is more comfortable than our mattress.)

As far a a shorty goes, why not? A full pad for me is a "luxury" item when I go ultralight. But I have used a shorty and just put my feet on my pack to keep them from dangling, and off the ground.

I've had great luck with mine on rocky/prickly surfaces. I always have a ground cloth and clear major debris away from the site. Each pad comes with a trail repair kit just in case. I've only seen one get a hole, and my buddy isn't what I would call "motivated" about preping his camp. :)

If the Neo-air is similar to the Big Agnes...DO IT!!! you'll be glad you did (and more rested).

Salud, Amigo!

I kinda thought hanging off the 2.5" drop would feel weird. The xl is pricey. One thing I notice about the Prolite 4 is warmth. I didn't use my sleeping bag this week. Only used my bivy and silk liner on top of the Prolite. The bag made a wonderful pillow though.

This is aimed @ Nick

The Big Agnes is rated to 15 degrees if that helps.

@Tanner: Good point about putting a bag under feet. Usually when I set up camp there ain't much left in my bag. Cook set and a few clothes but they are often my pillow. I'll look into Big A. It is just that I saw a sale @ campsaver w/ a coupon for Neo. 2.5" does sound nice especially after pushing all day. Thanks for he input. I thought I was done buying stuff.

The neoair is crazy warm too. I've gotten by only using an unzipped 32 degree bag for 99% of my camping since I went to it. I also picked up a neoair all season. Even warmer and fully rectangular so even easier to spread out on. Another benefit is the size they pack down to.

@Tanner: what BA model? Q-core?
Insulated air core. They've updated and advanced since I purchased mine 4 years ago. The Q core looks amazing, but it's heavier, bigger and more expensive, albeit small disadvantages. The Neo looks great though. Buy either and you'll be happy.

And when are we ever done buying gear?

Salud

Perhaps never done buying, I do appreciate the occasional hiatus:)

Look what I found on the net seeking more info on the Neo. A wonderful review right below my nose. I should have sought it out first:facepalm: Would have saved Nick a few key strokes. But I did get some good info on BA
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/thermarest-neoair-xlite.834/

Another pad: At lunch I went to REI to touch and feel what you guys were talking about. They are very small and light. REI had a sale on their own REI Flash pad. Only $75. Numbers are close to the Neo and BA. Any thoughts on this beast?

The Neo Air was the best backpacking purchase I have made. The first pad I have ever slept on that I could comfortably lay my side and my stomach. I have also used it in the winter and have had no issues withthe cold. I bought the 1st generatin Neo Air when it first came out and was a little worried about durability, but 5 years with the pad I haven't had one rip or tear (knock on wood)

Spending thrifty just leaves room for more gear ;). REI has made some really great stuff. I don't think you'll go wrong.

Thumbs way up on the NeoAir, whether shorty or regular. As a side sleeper, I used to suffer, but I'm now able to sleep very comfortably. My old Prolites sit up on the top shelf gathering dust--I won't willingly go back.

One reason that people didn't use air mattresses much in years past was not just durability but also because they were friggin' cold! The big air chambers created convective loops inside the mattress. Big Agnes attempts to solve this with insulation. Kinda works, but the result is a bit bulky and heavy. NeoAir takes a different approach by sandwiching a radiant barrier in the middle. Not only does this reflect heat back, it also reduces the height of the air space and the temperature difference from the top to bottom of each air space which should and apparently does reduce convection as well. I've slept on this in the low teens and felt no cold from the ground (now, I was only is a 35-degree WM bag, so even with a few layers of clothing I felt the cold from the top side!).

For the combination of size, weight, comfort, and thermal protection, the NeoAir is a great choice.

Decided not to buy the REI Flash because I want to understand the insulation better. Mike thanks, helps to understand them better.

Now, does the Neoair get too hot in summer? I was having a little trouble w/ my combo of Eva and prolite this last week. Now remember I live in the east and our nights do not get cold. Last week I had to sleep in my bivy due to skeeters so I got rather toasty. I didn't use my sleeping bag except as a pillow and was still too warm.

I live in Vermont. When its 75 degrees and 90% RH at night, you're going to be warm. I'd rather be on my neoair than the hard ground, even when it's warm out. The bigger discomfort is from whatever you're coving yourself to keep the mosquitos away--ironically I don't sleep under the stars out East until it gets colder!

Agreed - being too warm on the neoair is not a problem. I've had many a night when I just slept with nothing over me, but the pad didn't seem to make it worse. The last few trips I've been using a Neoair All Season. It's a bit heavier than the x-lite but comes in a fully rectangular size that I love. It's a winter rated pad and I sleep super hot and it's been great. Probably going to be my go-to pad for a while.

Thanks for the Info Mike. I think I'll convert to Neo-air when my BA gives out

This tread is helpful to me.
I plan to lower the weight of my backpacking gear.
During the last days of our vacation I had hands on a NeoAir All-Seasons at REI Henderson and was surprised about weight, thickness and pack size of that pad.
I'm a side sleeper w/ a lot of moves during the night - sometimes.
Does the pad makes noises?
Ok, there is no soaking during the hot nights in Utah and no freeze in spring and autumn - right?
Would you recommend a NeoAir pump-sack, or inflating only by mouth?
Thanks for recommendations/advices.