Needles loop

Kullaberg63

Sunday's hike with wife and kid was in the Needles district.

by kullaberg631, on Flickr
We started at the end of the road by the Confluence trailhead. After a few minuutes we veered off the trail right into Big Spring Canyon. Crisp morning air and abundant water made for pleasant hiking, with the odd minor obstacle thrown in now and then.

This slimy little descent on polished wet limestone was tricky. No anchors above, but also without huge consequences if one slipped (which some of us did), except getting soaked as the landing was a deep pothole.

A little downstream of the confluence between Big Spring and Salt Creek was the only halfway serious hinderance to reaching the Colorado River: a 40' pour off. Here Sonja is rigging the anchor, a couple of rusty 1/4" bolts, with a backup piece of fresh webbing.

The serene pool below the rap.

Lower Salt is deep and scoured clean by the huge floods coming down this long drainage. Here we are less than a mile from the river.

Getting to water's edge was simple with no impenetrable tamarisk thickets or expansive mudflats. Rigging our packrafts at this sunny open beach was a joy compared to the typical fare.

The float in the frigid runoff was about 4 miles and featured the Slide, probably the only ripple between Moab and Spanish Bottom. Not pictured, but it was pretty exciting.

At a spot just upstream of the confluence between the Green and the Colorado we scoped out a break in the canyon walls the we hoped would lead to the top. We landed here, packed up and started scrambling up.

The route was steep and scenic. It lead up talus, exposed ramps and little walls. Here Sonja is grappling with one of the little problems.

This was a pretty good view of the Confluence. Bjorn posing.

Up higher we encountered hard to follow cairns leading us on a circuitous route around a multitude of buttresses and benches before getting us safely deposited on the maintained Confluence trail, which in turn took us back to the start.

Near the finish.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Those look like Alpaca packrafts,yes? I'm looking to get one this spring. Do you find the splash skirt valuable in flat waters? Are you pleased with the rafts? Looks like a great trip!

Is it possible to reach the confluence just hiking from UT-211 ?

Is it possible to reach the confluence just hiking from UT-211 ?

Yes and no. Depends on what your definition of hiking is. Leaving the Confluence Overlook trail at Cyclone Canyon and following the very faint trail down (basically doing the reverse direction of our scramble out of the river corridor) is far more involved than the typical National Park trail, but not technical and not requiring any special equipment. With some outdoor awareness and surefooted travel on steep loose terrain one should be able to make it.

Both Kelsey and David Day describe this route in their guides. Kelsey does remark that over the last 25 years it has seen a large decrease in traffic and as such is nearly completely gone in places.

I have a GPX file with the route, if anyone is interested.

Those look like Alpaca packrafts,yes? I'm looking to get one this spring. Do you find the splash skirt valuable in flat waters? Are you pleased with the rafts? Looks like a great trip!

Yes, Alpacka rafts.

The stock spray decks are expensive, add weight and, so far, are not designed really well. For class 3 and above, however, they are a necessity. In less technical water their only advantages are that you stay warmer and drier in bad water, and the constant drip from the paddle doesn't get you wet.

We have only had these for a season, so limited experience so far.
They are a little heavier than what would be ideal on long trips involving only short stretches of water. Ours average 5 lbs plus paddle and a few accessories. But these are the highly capable whitewater hulls. For calm conditions Alpacka does make a 3.5 lbs boat, but it's quite a bit smaller.

I was surprised how well these track and maintain speed under paddle power. It wouldn't be a chore to cross even a large body of water under ideal wind conditions.

Looks like an awesome trip!

Yes and no. Depends on what your definition of hiking is. Leaving the Confluence Overlook trail at Cyclone Canyon and following the very faint trail down (basically doing the reverse direction of our scramble out of the river corridor) is far more involved than the typical National Park trail, but not technical and not requiring any special equipment. With some outdoor awareness and surefooted travel on steep loose terrain one should be able to make it.

Both Kelsey and David Day describe this route in their guides. Kelsey does remark that over the last 25 years it has seen a large decrease in traffic and as such is nearly completely gone in places.

I have a GPX file with the route, if anyone is interested.

Sweet route and great that it was a family adventure! I would like the GPX route file pretty please. You can PM me if you wish.

I sooooo wish I had a pack raft!
Ditto, I'd love it. Just a little pricey to outfit the family in them.

Great trip report. How old is your son? He looks likes he's a pretty capable adventure partner!

How old is your son? He looks likes he's a pretty capable adventure partner!

He's fifteen. We've been dragging him out on trips since early on. Still willing, even as his surly teenage friends get other interests. In fact the whole packraft thing was his idea (but my money..ouch!).

He's fifteen. We've been dragging him out on trips since early on. Still willing, even as his surly teenage friends get other interests. In fact the whole packraft thing was his idea (but my money..ouch!).
That's pretty cool. We have a 15 year old too, and though he's still up for adventures, the lure of friends is getting stronger. Hope we can stick with it a little longer!