Needles Dist 2022 BC Zone Map

John Morrow

This is disappointing, this map makes it appear that the entire Horse Canyon system is off limits to backpack camping except for a few slivers of east side sidecanyon heads. I don't seem to remember it being that limited. It used to be a certain distance beyond the jeep trail. Anyone else aware of this or ask the NPS what the exact boundary line is. I always hated how useless this scale non-topo map was for determining legality. Camping in any side drainage wash is about as LNT as one can be. I've never seen a person in a Horse Canyon side drainage in my three backpacks in there.

Screenshot 2022-12-21 092828.png

Also, there is a link to this map when one is in reservations for Needles Overnigjht in Rec.gov but it is a Dead Link. I had to go back to the CANY website to locate it.

Last edited:
John, I think the official guidance for Needles is that camps in at-large zones must be at least 1 mile from a 'road'.

Of course that brings up the thorny issue of what constitutes a road in Utah ! Over the years, I think there has been some legal issues regarding the roads in the park.

In the years that I have been visiting the park, vehicle access to Salt and Horse has changed (either officially or unofficially) on at least a couple of occasions. I distinctly remember a period a few years back, where there was no vehicular access at all to these canyons. However, that appears to have changed again, and I understand that 4WDs can now drive in Horse, and as far as Peekaboo in Salt.

So, you are probably correct, that at some point in the past, the permitted camping zone in Horse wasn't as restrictive, when there wasn't officially a 'road' there (although there was always a road :) ).

As an aside, I had always thought that the 1-mile rule was designed to keep backpackers away from more popular parts of the park, but I believe the reason is actually to prevent 4WD vehicles parking up and camping for the night, anywhere along a park road, if they have an overnight permit. Unfortunately, backpackers have to adhere to the same 1-mile rule, with the knock-on effect that we can't camp in several attractive and quiet areas such as Horse Canyon, which is rather annoying.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Canyonlands Needles Dist.: Crosscanyon Backpack Traverse April 10-15, 2016 Backpacking 1
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
SeanIsADesertRat Interesting/mysterious patterns Needles District, Canyonlands General Discussion 19
TrailScot Needles Exploring - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 6
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
H Horse Canyon needles district Utah Off Road 0
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
JBPHXAZ Crossing Spanish Bottom from Needles to the Maze (and back) Trip Planning 13
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
J Canyonlands Needles District simple backpack with a close friend April 1-3, 2021 Backpacking 2
E Water in the Needles early-May 2021 Trip Planning 3
OwenM Backup plan for Needles in December? Trip Planning 2
JackBurns Needles back-country Trip Planning 0
TrektheWorld Salt Creek - Needles or other options in the Utah desert Trip Planning 4
JBPHXAZ Canyonlands Needles Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 8
J Needles District campground availability in November Trip Planning 2
JBPHXAZ Needles District Car Camping Suggestions Trip Planning 3
RyanP Water in Needles District in early April this year? Trip Planning 9
chandlerwest Needles Loop/Druid Arch, Moab Area Hiking & Camping 11
AKay09 Canyonlands NP: Needles District 4/24-4/27 Backpacking 11
K Hiking the Needles Canyonlands Trip Planning 9
J Canyonlands Natl Park Needles District Circumnavigation April 9 to 15, 2018 Backpacking 1
Outdoors24 3 Days in the Needles District Backpacking 6
JDWalters Canyonlands/ Needles District question Trip Planning 5
Mike Schasch Canyonlands/Needles hiking along river Trip Planning 7
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
Dave Needles reservations General Discussion 0
Craiger Overnight parking in Needles backcountry Trip Planning 1
IntrepidXJ Needles Campground Reservations Trip Planning 0
tomcat32 Backpacking the Needles District in Winter Trip Planning 2
C day hikes in Canyonlands Needles in late November Trip Planning 19
Craiger Water in the Needles Trip Planning 4
Devin Ashby Needles District Loop - Multi Day Trip Trip Planning 2
Ross The Needles, Behind the Rocks and Goblin Valley area Hiking & Camping 5
IntrepidXJ A Needles Tour Hiking & Camping 11
Ross Invite Halls Creek Narrows.....(& perhaps Needles/Behind The Rocks) Meet Up (Members Only) 12
Sarah Canyonlands: Hiking the Needles and Island in the Sky Hiking & Camping 6
Kullaberg63 Horse Canyon, Needles Hiking & Camping 7
IntrepidXJ Bear-proof gear will be required at Needles District of Canyonlands General Discussion 36
Kullaberg63 Needles loop Hiking & Camping 16
Curt Circuit of the Needles District Backpacking 7
Melissa Suggestions for shuttle hike in the Needles district of Canyonlands Trip Planning 17
Cody Winter Trip to Needles Backpacking 21
Dave Needles waste disposal changes General Discussion 26
baltocharlie free backpacking permit, April 9th for Needles General Discussion 0
NateGeesaman Needles and Fiery Furnace Dec. 2012 Hiking & Camping 11
baltocharlie Trip planning: 'tween North Wash and The Needles Trip Planning 3
Dave Needles "Two Scoops", November 24-27 2012 Backpacking 13