Need some trip advice

Rockskipper

No ETA
I'm all packed up and leaving in the morning (Thurs. June 15). I'll be car camping. I kind of got booted out of my house for a few weeks (long story, a certain family member has priority since they own it and I had plenty of warning, but I procrastinated). I have no idea where to go. I'm in W. Colorado. It's too hot over in the desert.

I need to point my truck some direction tomorrow and I truly have no idea where to go, other than probably north. Any thoughts on a good place or two or three to car camp with three dogs? Preferably within a few hundred miles and away from crowds. You all have any fav places you'd like to share? I'll be checking back when I can.

Last edited:
Boulder Mountain or somewhere in the Uintas would be nice and not terribly far from you.

I'm in Pinedale, WY and will try to get up into the Winds, but man, there's a LOT of snow up there still.

I drove by the Great Outdoors Shop this morning. What a great resource that website is. I was going to go up to Green River Lakes today, but they say the road's washed out. Thanks - you saved me the trip. Will keep checking back.

Come have a a beer with me on Granite Creek tonight a bit more than halfway from Pinedale to Jackson. I think I'm gonna hike the SE end of the Granite Hi-Line Sunday morning. The southern approaches of the Gros Ventre open up faster than anything in the Winds but Whiskey Mt. Pretty easy hike, 5 miles out and back. I am limping. Excellent forecast for tomorrow.

Granite Hi Line To Palmer And Potosi.jpg

Granite Hi-Line to Antoinette Plus.jpg

Granite Hi-Line Wyoming Range And hoback Peaks.jpg

Hey, thanks for the invite. It's starting to clear out, rained here in Pinedale a bunch last night. Would love to join you, but am going back to Boulder (WY) for dinner with a cousin who I had no idea lived there. Those photos are fantastic and your hike sounds pretty nice. (I like your username - I was in the Absarokas a bunch last summer, as well as the Beartooths.) Have fun, though a 10 mile hike while limping sounds kind of sketchy. Do you expect to be able to walk afterwards? Ha.

Well, I left Pinedale a long time ago, headed to Driggs, ID for awhile, then over to the Bitterroots, then to Philipsburg (MT) for the earthquake, then a few days in Palouse country taking photos, then to the Wallowas (OR), and now City of Rocks (ID). It's been a month and I decided I'm not going home ever. Next will be the Uintas. Hope it's cooler over there. Anybody need photos or anything of anyplace or have any ideas on how to make a living while hiking/camping?

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Need advice for a overnight trip Trip Planning 9
D Need suggestions for a backpacking trip with a base camp Trip Planning 10
TrektheWorld Need help with Uintas trip - camping Trip Planning 8
Aldaron Need Trip Ideas Trip Planning 2
D Need suggestions -Beaverhead-Deerlodge National forrest, and Phillipsburg, MT Trip Planning 5
regehr didn't need it anyway General Discussion 21
TractorDoc Any other Katadyn Pocket Microfilter Users out there? Need a new Element? Gear 0
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
A Need hiking gear suggestion Hiking & Camping 9
J Yikes, I need help deciding.... Trip Planning 5
Perry Need Some Last Minute Suggestions. Trip Planning 13
D Tetons Crest Trail Aug./Sept. 2020 need a new partner/partners Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2
Rockskipper I need a tripod! Photography 5
DrNed Need Help With Mosquitoes? General Discussion 2
TractorDoc Anybody Need Some New Pants? Read more if you are a 32 waist. . . Gear 2
Yvonne New to Mountain Biking and need to get started General Discussion 16
G Grand Canyon hiking - need a ride Trip Planning 0
G Grand Canyon backpacking - need ride Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer Need new airpad Gear 21
TrektheWorld Need a new video camera Gear 4
Ben Does @Scatman need to go? General Discussion 55
TrektheWorld I need a new point and shoot camera Photography 1
Rockskipper You know you need to go camping when... General Discussion 3
Noun Sequitur Photography for kids (need advice) Photography 11
kimbur96 Need ideas...3 days, Nov 17-20, with dog?? Trip Planning 10
Perry Cuberant Basin On Sunday - Need Some Advice and a Plan B Trip Planning 6
Perry Late Season Uintas Trips - What Do I Need to Know? General Discussion 15
C Need some schooling! Trip Planning 1
P Need suggestions for an alternate to the Bighorns Trip Planning 5
TrektheWorld Need to find one great Uintas hike Trip Planning 1
Hurakan Need some Winds Advice. Trip Planning 14
N Do I need a tent General Discussion 7
Vegan.Hiker Flight cancelled, need last minute info Trip Planning 15
T Need Transport to Yellowstone... Trip Planning 1
seekinglost Need a ride to the Uintas on August 13th? Trip Planning 0
Bigred72 Headed to Zion-Need waterproof options Photography 3
BackcountryBilbo Trailheads that need a 4x4 Trip Planning 12
rich67 Need help gearing up for multi-day paddle..1st time out. Gear 12
DudefromOhio Tell me what degree bag I need!! Gear 23
hatchcanyon Need help with a plant General Discussion 3
A Visiting GSENM - need advice on itinerary Trip Planning 18
outnabout Solo Wind Rivers - Need some advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
S Need recommendations for Uintas this weekend Trip Planning 2
DAA Bear cannister, need to buy one... Gear 37
F New to camping and need advice on a backpacking tent General Discussion 24
Blake Merrell HELP! Need ideas for 50 mile routes in the Uintas Trip Planning 14
Eric Christensen I need pack advice Gear 6
Tyler Need some Death Hollow tips Trip Planning 8
Laura Need suggestions for Grand Canyon Photography Photography 9