Need Some Last Minute Suggestions.

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
Since Christmas this year is going to be unlike any other I have experienced I've decided to try something a bit less traditional. Rather than being the dark cloud in the corner with my daughter and her family I have to decided to take an impromptu day trip somewhere here in Utah with the hope of relieving my emotional burden, even if just for a few hours.

Many of you know the Uintas are my usual go to area but of course not available at this date. I'm hoping you all could maybe suggest something southward where I could see some new country, perhaps even taking a shortish hike to see something amazing to brighten my spirits. I was thinking perhaps the Swell might be an option. That's about 4 hours away from my house. I'm not planning on staying over night but that is not necessarily out of the question.

Can anyone make some suggestions in that area or even somewhere else where elevation wouldn't complicate things due to snow? Pretty much the only place south I have ever explored is Capitol Reef but that might be too far and I would love to see something new.

Ideas?

What about a dayhike to the Confluence Overlook in the Needles? I've always found it to be a very peaceful place - very powerful. Dunno if that's too long a trip for you but definitely something to consider.

What about a dayhike to the Confluence Overlook in the Needles? I've always found it to be a very peaceful place - very powerful. Dunno if that's too long a trip for you but definitely something to consider.
Shoot that looks really amazing!. I'm afraid it might be a bit much in a single day but I'm definitely going to think about it. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Perry, I forgot where you live but if it's reasonably near SLC, Nine Mile Canyon makes a wonderful day trip. Some of the rock art is marked by signs and pullouts and a bunch more of it is not at all far from the road, and you can see a lot in a day. I'd be happy to share what little I know. The Road Trip Ryan page lists a lot of stuff. Of course @Udink knows of a zillion sites. I've done this in winter and as long as it's sunny and the road is clear this is an excellent, stress free way to spend a day.

Perry, I forgot where you live but if it's reasonably near SLC, Nine Mile Canyon makes a wonderful day trip. Some of the rock art is marked by signs and pullouts and a bunch more of it is not at all far from the road, and you can see a lot in a day. I'd be happy to share what little I know. The Road Trip Ryan page lists a lot of stuff. Of course @Udink knows of a zillion sites. I've done this in winter and as long as it's sunny and the road is clear this is an excellent, stress free way to spend a day.
I'm in Morgan so that's not too far. Are you referring to the canyon kind of between Price and Duchesne? Not the highway but the road more to the east?

Perry, Moab's almost empty right now and the weather's beautiful. Get an overnight rental and come to the redrock. No snow, either. Best time of the year to come, but too far unless you get an overnighter. But there's almost nobody here!

I spend every Christmas at Arches National Park and it's probably one of the least busiest day of the year there, so if you ever had a desire to go there, it might be a good time.

Perry, Moab's almost empty right now and the weather's beautiful. Get an overnight rental and come to the redrock. No snow, either. Best time of the year to come, but too far unless you get an overnighter. But there's almost nobody here!
So if I decided to make it an over nighter what would you recommend I see?

I would go hiking in the Sand Flats Recreation Area. You could also go to Arches, but there will be a few people there. You could also drive up to the Island in the Sky. For me, I would spend the whole time in the Sand Flats, beautiful place and you can get to some beautiful, wild and restorative spots. I can give you more details if you decide to do it. Also, lots of rooms available now, though still not cheap. Your kitties would be OK overnight. The photography here right now is fantastic, just enough snow.

ETA: I said no snow, but there's still some on the north facing slopes but not enough to make for tricky hiking. In general, it's dry.

Last edited:
I'm in Morgan so that's not too far. Are you referring to the canyon kind of between Price and Duchesne? Not the highway but the road more to the east?
Yep, exactly, you turn north off of highway 6 just a bit east of Wellington, right where that big Chevron is. There's lots of info here and I think there's probably more if you log in: https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/other/odds-and-ends-area/nine-mile-canyon
Of course all the other ideas here sound great too, but this one is a bit closer to home if you don't want to stay over. There's also a way into Nine Mile from the Duchesne side but I don't know exactly where it is.

I would go hiking in the Sand Flats Recreation Area. You could also go to Arches, but there will be a few people there. You could also drive up to the Island in the Sky. For me, I would spend the whole time in the Sand Flats, beautiful place and you can get to some beautiful, wild and restorative spots. I can give you more details if you decide to do it. Also, lots of rooms available now, though still not cheap. Your kitties would be OK overnight. The photography here right now is fantastic, just enough snow.

ETA: I said no snow, but there's still some on the north facing slopes but not enough to make for tricky hiking. In general, it's dry.
Dang you’re tempting me . I think I’ll just play it by ear in the morning. So far mornings have been my worst for some reason. Very strange times for me right now.

@Perry , did you end up seeing something new?
Well not exactly. I really wanted to maybe head south but I was concerned about the long drive, even if I got a room for the night. Strangely I'm not feeling all that strong (not sure that's the right word to describe it) but I was worried about making that long drive. I did end up going the long way around the Great Salt Lake, up to Snowville, through Park Valley then on into Nevada. I was hoping to get away from the inversion gunk along the Wasatch Front but sadly it was even around all the way to Nevada. I was hoping snapping some nice pictures would be a little therapeutic. I hopped on I-80 and headed back west past Pilot Peak and decided to get a room and a meal in Wendover then drive back the next day. So... nothing much new to see but I had quite a bit solitude to myself on that back route through Nevada.

DSC01520-2.jpg

DSC01515-Pano.jpg

At lease the sunrise was kind of nice...

DSC01529.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01520.jpg
    DSC01520.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 6
Solitude works wonders sometimes... Giving you the time to reflect on the important things in life....