Need help with Uintas trip - camping

So my family is going to be coming through on the way to Park City with 2 nights to be able to camp and explore the Uintas on highway 150 from Evanston to Kamas. I'd like to camp right in the heart of the highway (middle) and explore from a base camp. I'm guessing I can look into the possibility of campgrounds still having spaces. It will be a Thurs and Fri night. I was wondering if dispersed camping was easy to find in this area, we certainly don't mind this style of camping. Another thing we could do is treat ourselves to some sort of cabin/airbnb and explore from there (it is going to be our last trip of the summer before school), but everything I'm finding is in Kamas or just outside, already booked, and probably a lot of back and forth driving if exploring the Uintas by day. Any help or advice you can give me would be really appreciated. How are the bugs in the beginning of August?

Bugs in early August are usually not terrible if you don't linger around marshes or lake edges. Dispersed camping is allowed, though the best spots are popular and you will likely have company. I would still take that over an AirB&B in Kamas. Do you know specifically where you'd like to hike? That might help in narrowing down some camping options.

On the weekends anywhere within 5 miles of the road will be busy but don't let that stop you. Most of the road side lakes with campgrounds have first come first serve spots, just get there early. I'd find a map and do some scouting. Bugs were terrible mid July but hopefully will start to taper off soon. I'm taking my family up for a similar trip soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bugs in early August are usually not terrible if you don't linger around marshes or lake edges. Dispersed camping is allowed, though the best spots are popular and you will likely have company. I would still take that over an AirB&B in Kamas. Do you know specifically where you'd like to hike? That might help in narrowing down some camping options.

I'm not sure where to hike. Last time my wife went up with me and we got away from the kids and did an excellent loop near Mirror Lake on the north side of the highway that took us past 5 or 6 stunning lakes in a relatively short distance. The kids (5&7) would have fun just about anywhere. So I would say near Mirror Lake or when I look at a map, maybe Lost Lake area.

Whereabouts are easy dispersed sites to get to?

Whereabouts are easy dispersed sites to get to?

There are a bunch right below and around the Provo River Falls area on the Kamas side... zoom in on Google Maps imagery and you should see them. They're mostly highway-adjacent. Depending on your vehicle you could drive back on the Whitney Reservoir road on the Evanston side. Or there's a bunch of dispersed camping space up along East Fork Bear River below the scout camp. Those are just a few options.

As for hikes, are you talking about the Clyde Lake Loop? That's a high bang-for-buck hike. Ruth Lake is a go-to for families, as is the Lofty Lake loop.

Butterfly Lake is a good option for first-come-first-serve. It is a few miles to the Evanston side of Mirror Lake. It has only about 20 sites and they are all small so you don't get the big motor homes or trailers. Mostly just tents and campers. I recently found a spot there on a Thursday afternoon and it was on a weekend near a Utah state holiday. It did fill up by Thursday night. Our site was right on the lake and bugs were tolerable.

One option I have considered, but not attempted yet would be to hike right from camp at Butterfly, across 150 to the Highline Trail and then go down to Scudder, Wyman, Wilder, and Packard. One thing to consider is the trail is mostly downhill going in and uphill coming out. If you have interest in this option, let me know and I'll fill you in on a little trick for hiking directly from Butterfly to access the Highline trail.

2nd Ruth Lake being good for families. I just took my kids (4 and 7). I'll try to post a TR of our camping at Butterfly and then hiking Ruth shortly. I have also found Fehr Lake trail to be a good option with my kids.

I wouldn't try camping right in the middle of the highway. I did that the other day (on a dirt road I thought was abandoned) and woke up to headlights bearing down on me at 2am. It's like the most terrifying sleep paralysis ever, except it's real life.

I wouldn't try camping right in the middle of the highway. I did that the other day (on a dirt road I thought was abandoned) and woke up to headlights bearing down on me at 2am. It's like the most terrifying sleep paralysis ever, except it's real life.
Wow, that sounds pretty interesting. I camped on a road I thought was abandoned, but stayed on the side, and some rancher drove by and waved at me while I was sitting in my pj's in my camp chair. He wasn't more than 10 feet away, but it was daylight and no danger. Did the guy stop or simply swerve and keep going?

Yes, good advice not to camp in the heart of the highway, for sure. LOL

"I'd like to camp right in the heart of the highway (middle) and explore from a base camp."

Last edited: