Need 4-day backpacking ideas and quick

Nick

-
I was supposed to go on an epic technical backpacking loop through the Grand Canyon next weekend, but my knee isn't cooperating and I had to cancel it. But I'm not totally giving up. I still have 4-days to spend backpacking and I need some ideas. Here's the criteria:

- Lots of water would be ideal

- Dry camps are okay but only if they aren't TOO dry. Meaning I can't hike 12 miles to a dry camp but 2-4 would be okay.

- Being able to see where I put my feet is a must. Sounds stupid, but hiking in brown water is super difficult for me right now (Black Hole, Black Box, etc.)

- Minimal down climbing

- Incredible scenery (duh)

So any ideas? We leave Wednesday night and I have no idea where we're going! Help!

I could help out if you wanted to go to Grand Gulch, some pretty cool loop hikes. John's canyon is very cool, you can drive quite a ways up it and park, a very different kind of canyon than Slickhorn or Grand Gulch. Down Point Lookout and up Slickhorn comes to mind (not good for your knee maybe), or down Government trail and up some side canyons and across back to the car, lot's of possibilities in 3 or 4 days. All of these have pretty easy access except pt. lookout.

Trans-Zion... Go see Kolob Arch this time. I don't think I have seen any trip reports of yours on the high point look outs on the east rim (observation point, cable mountain, Deertrap mountain).

I'd say Dark Canyon via Sundance -- though that descent could be hard on the knee.

- Jamal

How would you spend 4-days in there? I was thinking about that one. I figured a day in, a day exploring down and a day out, but that's only 3 days. Would a day exploring up be worthwhile? Or up into one of the other canyons?

How would you spend 4-days in there? I was thinking about that one. I figured a day in, a day exploring down and a day out, but that's only 3 days. Would a day exploring up be worthwhile? Or up into one of the other canyons?

Do the Dark Canyon through hike I told you about. Down at Woodenshoe out at Sundance. You even saw the photolog.

Absolutely easy to spend a day down Dark and a Day up canyon and a day in Woodenshoe. That leaves you a basecamp. Or move camp up stream. I know people that have spent 10 days and 100+ miles in there.

Ahh shucks. That's out then. Unless anyone wants to join us. So far I think it's just me and Jen as the rest of our GC crew decided to do something else.

I could help out if you wanted to go to Grand Gulch, some pretty cool loop hikes. John's canyon is very cool, you can drive quite a ways up it and park, a very different kind of canyon than Slickhorn or Grand Gulch. Down Point Lookout and up Slickhorn comes to mind (not good for your knee maybe), or down Government trail and up some side canyons and across back to the car, lot's of possibilities in 3 or 4 days. All of these have pretty easy access except pt. lookout.

Been looking at Cedar Mesa possibilities and my big question mark is permits. I posted in the GG permits thread. Any insight?

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/grand-gulch-permits.1967/#post-23185

I should also mention two other routes we're considering.

1. Silver Falls-Choprock loop with a side trip up lower Harris Wash to better fill the time.

2. Fifty Mile Creek & Davis Gulch combo. Only downer on this is that there doesn't seem to be any exits out of Fifty Mile heading towards Davis that don't involve serious exposure and moki steps so we'd practically walk back to the road between the two.

Yeah -- definitely go up to at least to Young's Canyon. You could also do a day-loop with Young's and Lean To -- but this could be rough and definitely needs detailed route info.

I think you could fill four days there. Judging from your past exploits I have a feeling you would need to allot extra "water" time on this hike! :)

Another idea would be to still head to the Grand and do Kanab Creek and/or Jumpup/Indian/Kwagunt drainages in various different ways. Thunder Springs and Deer Creek would also be great -- but I bet getting the permit for this would be tough.

- Jamal

I should also mention two other routes we're considering.

1. Silver Falls-Choprock loop with a side trip up lower Harris Wash to better fill the time.

That was actually my very first thought, but I didn't list it as I know you'd been in that area a few times recently. I was going to add that instead of Silver Falls -- you could go down the Escalante and come back up Moody.

- JG

No permits are needed in Point Lookout or Johns Canyon. Point Lookout is an excuisite little place, easy access (if memory serves me) and solitude. Johns Canyon has lot's of water, big pools and water falls, super easy access as you can drive right into it. Johns is the ticket I think, if you want ruins and pools.
An old B&W scan of one the larger pools in Johns Canyon

I0000jY2yOIHJsrM.jpg

That was actually my very first thought, but I didn't list it as I know you'd been in that area a few times recently. I was going to add that instead of Silver Falls -- you could go down the Escalante and come back up Moody.

- JG

That is an intriguing thought! I wonder how doable it would be with spring runoff though. I remember what a pain in the ass it was to travel from 25 Mile Wash to Neon in October... Hmmmm...

That is an intriguing thought! I wonder how doable it would be with spring runoff though. I remember what a pain in the ass it was to travel from 25 Mile Wash to Neon in October... Hmmmm...

Yeah -- it could be. There are definitely quite a few river crossings along that section. There's also no established trail along there so fighting the brush as you enter/exit the river can be a pain if the water is high. Also... the water might be opaque that far down during the spring run-off.

BTW -- if you do go Silver Falls, there's not likely to be any water in there except for Emigrant Spring which is actually higher up in the side drainage than it shows on the map.

- JG