Naturalist or Middle Basin?

Thank you so much for your timely observations and photos @WasatchWill . They have certainly have given us some food for thought. Mmmm - I am not sure Four Lakes Basin would be a better option as it is at a similar elevation and has a fork of the Duchesne to cross as I don't think it has a bridge. I don't mind getting a bit wet but knee or waist high snow run off doesn't sound appealing. We might end up doing a similar trip to you @WasatchWill or try for somewhere a little lower. Watch this space ...

Although the creek wasn't as high when I was there last August, needless to say, I still think if you're careful you can cross the creek at the Jordan Lake fork without getting wet. You do need to have good balance to stay on the row of rocks, though--or trekking poles to help keep you from falling.

We just returned this afternoon from our hike and I will try and post a more detailed trip report in the next few days but here is a quick update. @WasatchWill and others - thanks so much for your advice. We went with our original plan and headed to Naturalist Basin and it was an excellent decision. We hit the sweet spot of excellent weather, still some snow around to make photos interesting, some nice wildflowers popping out, very few bugs (the breeze might have helped that) and also very few people. Things are melting very quickly up there - here are few photos taken at similar spots to @WasatchWill's above two days later (Friday 6/19).

When I got back and checked this post I noticed that we had unintentionally camped in the same location as @WasatchWill did. No ice on the lake now.
150620 Naturalist Basin Hike 003 (1280x960).jpg

As we walked up to the shelf, this is the view back to the Morat Lakes - both ice free.

150619 Naturalist Basin Hike 050 (1280x960).jpg
We took his advice and climbed up to the divide between Naturalist and Middle Basin for 360 degree panoramic views. Many of the lakes on the shelf have lost or are not far from losing their ice too. This photo taken on the way up is looking down to WalcottLake, Blue Lake to the right just out of view is still mostly ice but with a ring of water at the edge. It is similar for Le Conte, Faxon and Shaler Lakes. The snow is disappearing fast too and we didn't have to posthole much at all.

150619 Naturalist Basin Hike 060 (1280x960).jpg

We also explored around the shelf past Le Conte Lake to overlook Jordan Lake which is now almost 100% ice free.

150619 Naturalist Basin Hike 080 (1280x960).jpg

Another thing to mention - when we were hiking in we met a couple coming out and they had camped at Evermann Lake below Jordan Lake. They said the stream crossing to go this direction was just below their knees. I would imagine that it would be best to cross in the morning like they did. With the snow melting in this warm weather the waterfall above Morat Lakes had much greater flow in the afternoon than the morning.

Last edited:
We just returned this afternoon from our hike and I will try and post a more detailed trip report in the next few days but here is a quick update. @WasatchWill and others - thanks so much for your advice. We went with our original plan and headed to Naturalist Basin and it was an excellent decision. We hit the sweet spot of excellent weather, still some snow around to make photos interesting, some nice wildflowers popping out, very few bugs (the breeze might have helped that) and also very few people. Things are melting very quickly up there - here are few photos taken at similar spots to @WasatchWill's above two days later (Friday 6/19).

When I got back and checked this post I noticed that we had unintentionally camped in the same location as @WasatchWill did. No ice on the lake now.
View attachment 31244

As we walked up to the shelf, this is the view back to the Morat Lakes - both ice free.

View attachment 31245
We took his advice and climbed up to the divide between Naturalist and Middle Basin for 360 degree panoramic views. Many of the lakes on the shelf have lost or are not far from losing their ice too. This photo taken on the way up is looking down to WalcottLake, Blue Lake to the right just out of view is still mostly ice but with a ring of water at the edge. It is similar for Le Conte, Faxon and Shaler Lakes. The snow is disappearing fast too and we didn't have to posthole much at all.

View attachment 31246

We also explored around the shelf past Le Conte Lake to overlook Jordan Lake which is now almost 100% ice free.

View attachment 31247

Another thing to mention - when we were hiking in we met a couple coming out and they had camped at Evermann Lake below Jordan Lake. They said the stream crossing to go this direction was just below their knees. I would imagine that it would be best to cross in the morning like they did. With the snow melting in this warm weather the waterfall above Morat Lakes had much greater flow in the afternoon than the morning.

Wow! Those lakes did melt fast! I'm going to have to post my TR now. Was holding off until I finished my video, but I can't let you beat me to it. :p

How'd it go? I've hiked to both Naturalist and MIddle Basins -- it's hard to go wrong up there. We did the Middle Basin hike this year in mid-July. No snow, nothing frozen, but man ... the mosquitos were horrendous! Oh well, still worth it. :)

Ryder Lake