National Park Service and "Fake News"

I can get a little verbose and off topic, old guy talking about back in the day, kind of annoying I know.
However, back to the concept of fake news. President Trump did not invent it, but he has perfected it. For those who have not read 1984, you might want to. The concept of Doublespeak and Fake News, are frighteningly familiar.

Last edited:
I can get a little verbose and off topic, old guy talking about back in the day, kind of annoying I know.
However, back to the concept of fake news. President Trump did not invent it, but he has perfected it. For those who have not read 1984, you might want to. The concept of Doublespeak and Fake News, are frighteningly familiar.

I try to voice my opinions about that elsewear unless it has to do with a Backcounty topic. (Can you hear the chain rattle as I backpeddle on this thread?) I'm hoping there will not be a major impact to the "sport" So to speak.

Reactions: Ben
Personally I just hope that BackcountryPost does not change into a Political Forum! I have met many many who are on both sides of the political fence who love the deep backcountry wildes. In the Yellowstone's Thorofare, have met with many a conservative horsepacker who deeply loved the wilderness as much as any liberal hiker. I have seen wayyy too many other forums destroyed by politics and the deep partisan bickering resulting from such. If it is going to turn into a political forum, then start a new place where all posts dealing with politics can be posted, so that we who want to avoid them can so do. First thing there might be one or two posts, then suddenly political posts all over the place instead of people's trip reports. But do think it would be great it this could be a forum where politics would not intrude.

In my personal opinion.
IMO, @Nick has done an excellent job of extinguishing any political fires before they've blown up. The politics on Bogley were a big reason many of the backpackers left that site for BCP!

Interesting, I just found out that Craters of the Moon may be Idaho's first Nationsl Park. Locals and Feds are all happy about which surprises me.

I love that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, I just found out that Craters of the Moon may be Idaho's first Nationsl Park. Locals and Feds are all happy about which surprises me.

Cool. That's a neat spot. Do you have a link for that?

Defunding National Parks would be less than smart to put it kindly. Americans love the parks, and the Centennial heightened that appreciation. Remember all the Republicans in Utah, etc., that cried when Boehner and Ted Cruz shut down the governemnt and with it park facilities, services, etc.?

Remember all the Republicans in Utah, etc., that cried when Boehner and Ted Cruz shut down the governemnt and with it park facilities, services, etc.?

Utah Republicans used that as fodder to say the state could better manage the parks themselves. Any time a member of congress complains about the performance of an executive agency (NPS, BLM, USFS et al), remember that they have power of the purse strings. The legislative branch could easily allocate the funding to adequately staff those agencies.

Reactions: Ben
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
IntrepidXJ BLM, National Park Service close public lands due to trespassing cattle dispute General Discussion 4
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 16
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
canadug Hiker death in Zion National park :( Hiking & Camping 32
F Frontenac National Park, Quebec, Canada Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
Absarokanaut Flooding in Yellowstone National Park and Adjacent Areas of Montana Today June 13, 2022 General Discussion 82
Rockskipper pay-for-bot-scanning services for National Park campsites - interesting comments General Discussion 1
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 7
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
S Mentasta Mountains, Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve- family backpack Backpacking 1
scatman Grizzly Lake - Yellowstone National Park - September - 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 149
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
P A short hike on the AT in Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
scatman Gneiss Creek Part 2 - Yellowstone National Park - September 18, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden & Femundsmarka National Park, Norway Pt2 Backpacking 2
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8
scatman Gneiss Creek - Yellowstone National Park - September 8, 2021 Backpacking 20
scatman Snake River Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - August 8, 2021 Backpacking 45
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - June 2021 Hiking & Camping 8
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Cumberland Gap National Historical Park Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
scatman Cache Creek, Yellowstone National Park - September 10, 2020 Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Sequoia National Park just before the Creek Fire Backpacking 6
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
NorthwestWanderer The Bailey Range Traverse | An 8 Day Olympic National Park Epic Backpacking 15
scatman Pebble Creek, Yellowstone National Park - August 14, 2020 Backpacking 42
Janice Isle Royale National Park Backpacking 4
norwegianxplorer Sequoia National Park, Backpacking Mt Silliman area, June 2020 Backpacking 8
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
Tim Valentine Pinnacles National Park Winter Hiking & Camping 10
E Glacier National Park in Mid July Trip Planning 0