National Park Service and "Fake News"

pstm13

Auribus Teneo Lupum
This story from the New York Times made me laugh. It is about the Tweet that got Trump all worked up. I figured it was fair game because it involved the NPS. Apparently, the NPS Tweeted a picture of the crowd size. Trump freaked out and blocked employees from further posts to the NPS Twitter page for some time.

FYI: you may see a redirect warning pop up. Just click on the web address if you see it.

Link to NYT
IMG_1013.jpg

White House press secretary attacks media for accurately reporting inauguration crowds
http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/21/media/sean-spicer-press-secretary-statement/index.html

Last edited:
Personally I just hope that BackcountryPost does not change into a Political Forum! I have met many many who are on both sides of the political fence who love the deep backcountry wildes. In the Yellowstone's Thorofare, have met with many a conservative horsepacker who deeply loved the wilderness as much as any liberal hiker. I have seen wayyy too many other forums destroyed by politics and the deep partisan bickering resulting from such. If it is going to turn into a political forum, then start a new place where all posts dealing with politics can be posted, so that we who want to avoid them can so do. First thing there might be one or two posts, then suddenly political posts all over the place instead of people's trip reports. But do think it would be great it this could be a forum where politics would not intrude.

In my personal opinion.

Thanks Nick that it will never become heavily political. Just have become tired of too many outdoor sites that I in the past frequented and then half destroyed themselves from all the political bickering that resulted. Good that it all must be kept civil and friendly.

Wishing You the Best!

Thanks Nick that it will never become heavily political. Just have become tired of too many outdoor sites that I in the past frequented and then half destroyed themselves from all the political bickering that resulted. Good that it all must be kept civil and friendly.

Wishing You the Best!

My intent was to focus on the National Park Service and related policies. Intelligent people often disagree. I for example live in Idaho Falls agree with your comments on people in the Yellowstone area. My point in this post is that politicians should be somewhat removed from the National Parks Service day to day operations. Let them hug the trees and salmon and Tweet about. Who cares if we all agree with climate change. Let them do there job.

Also, thanks for your input. You were very respectful. I tried to limit my comments to appropriate subjects. This will be my last politically related comment for a while.

Last edited:
I agree on limited political discussion. These days I am searching for more online places to get AWAY from the politics. We all need to be informed and aware and do our part based on our beliefs (respectfully of course), but it should never be everywhere. I came here to get ideas and advice on where to go and the best way to stay outdoors... so I appreciate that the intent here will be to keep it that way.

The best way to stay outdoors is to keep wild land protected from development, so some times politics is relevant. Have fun out there.

Completely agree...
I think if people want to comment and want to voice grievances, it is important to take a stand and proactively get involved.

The best way to stay outdoors is to keep wild land protected from development, so some times politics is relevant. Have fun out there.
Yep ... completely agreed, especially these days.

I've participated in a couple of outdoor forums over the years that ended up getting dominated by one or two very strong personalities with very strong political views, and that was really unfortunate ... it just ended up driving many of the non-rabid people away, and ruining the forum experience. It's encouraging that here, topics like this can be brought up without things immediately descending into volleys of juvenile snark.

Besides, that's what Facebook is for, right? :)

Reactions: Ben
I am curious about how the hiring freeze will effect services in National Parks.

Reactions: Ben
I am curious about how the hiring freeze will effect services in National Parks.

If the last few day's are any indication, the agencies that disagree with his agenda are threatened with defunding. Consequently oversight may be impacted.

It will never become heavily political as long as I am running the site. There will never be a politics section.

Outdoors related political posts are welcome but must be kept civil and friendly. This thread fits that criteria well.

I appreciate Nicks perspective on this issue. Very healthy to allow discourse.

The environment has always been political. It's just the way it is. In my own backyard in Colorado, the gas leases that were canceled under Obama, are being "re-evaluated" due to increased pressure by the natural gas industry. Obama increased the use of fracking. We have always tried to "fight the man". Trump denies global warming is caused by humans. President Reagan had interior secretary James Watt, and in my youth we fought him in our own way. My wife protested with Green Peace at the San Onofre nuclear power plant north of San Diego in 1980, learning how to protest nonviolently. It does not matter who is in charge in Washington, we must be vigilant.