National Park/Monument Staffing

Last edited:
Im just venting now.... Not a surprise, because it was very clearly written on their website, but Im just confirming : We just passed White Sands National Monument a few hours ago, on our way from Tucson back to the Northeast (2500miles) and indeed, it was fully closed. Its been on our list for a while, but too far out of the way to drive to previously. Today we actually had to pass it and it was closed.:mad:
Dramatic weather with rainbows, storms and clouds, photos would have been spectacular- if you could only get in there! Many desperate ones stopped along the road to snap some pictures from the edge. Oh well.... another day.
FYI: All roads were open in the Saguaro NP (west and east) around Tucson, but the visitor center (and toilets) were closed.

Titans, this is soooo unfortunate! I feel for you. Several times in my life have visited White Sands N.M. and it is indeed a very interesting park with all the white gypsum sand. Hope one day that you get to see the area. In my opinion it is too bad that they hold the Park System hostage in these Gov't Shutdowns.

Head over to CA folks!
Probably won't last, but currently, every park I have been looking at for a trip in two weeks is still open, Yosemite, Point Reyes, Death Valley, Sequoia.
Point Reyes warns people that their reserved campground may or may not be available, because they won't be asking people to leave unless 'safety is at risk'. I have a feeling there won't be rangers around since all the campgrounds are 'hike in'.

Head over to CA folks!
Probably won't last, but currently, every park I have been looking at for a trip in two weeks is still open, Yosemite, Point Reyes, Death Valley, Sequoia.
Point Reyes warns people that their reserved campground may or may not be available, because they won't be asking people to leave unless 'safety is at risk'. I have a feeling there won't be rangers around since all the campgrounds are 'hike in'.

I hope you will be able to do your trip @Miya ! One day we will get to some of the CA parks. I was thinking about the Joshua park after reading your report, but we would try to visit during a non-holiday season. Let us know how your trip goes!

The Parks should not be closed to begin with. We pay our tax dollars for these parks so they should remain open while only 17% of the govt is off.
If they want to close them off, stop taking my tax dollars.

The Parks should not be closed to begin with. We pay our tax dollars for these parks so they should remain open while only 17% of the govt is off.

Totally agree. I'm not suggesting it should be locked, I'm just saying cutting a lock at a federal facility maybe isn't the smartest thing to do.

It's the roads that are closed and locked because there's no one to plow the roads. it's for the safety of the public to close the roads so people don't get stuck...

It's the roads that are closed and locked because there's no one to plow the roads. it's for the safety of the public to close the roads so people don't get stuck...

I say let ‘em take their chances and pay for a tow bill. Isn’t that what we do in the back country anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say let ‘em take their chances and pay for a tow bill. Isn’t that what we do in the back country anyway?

I agree, except for the possibility of damage when they get stuck and then drive off the road or something and tear things up.

It's easy to say because most of us are prepared out there. The vast majority of people that would likely get stuck on a snowy road however probably aren't, and spending a night out there could kill them.

It's unfortunate that many of us need protection from ourselves. Image the potential legal battles when someone dies because they're stuck on an unplowed road in a National Park with no cell service.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ross Invite Rare opportunity in Outlaw Park, DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT Meet Up (Members Only) 8
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
canadug Hiker death in Zion National park :( Hiking & Camping 32
F Frontenac National Park, Quebec, Canada Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
Absarokanaut Flooding in Yellowstone National Park and Adjacent Areas of Montana Today June 13, 2022 General Discussion 82
Rockskipper pay-for-bot-scanning services for National Park campsites - interesting comments General Discussion 1
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 7
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
S Mentasta Mountains, Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve- family backpack Backpacking 1
scatman Grizzly Lake - Yellowstone National Park - September - 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 149
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
P A short hike on the AT in Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
scatman Gneiss Creek Part 2 - Yellowstone National Park - September 18, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden & Femundsmarka National Park, Norway Pt2 Backpacking 2
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8
scatman Gneiss Creek - Yellowstone National Park - September 8, 2021 Backpacking 20
scatman Snake River Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - August 8, 2021 Backpacking 45
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - June 2021 Hiking & Camping 8
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Cumberland Gap National Historical Park Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
scatman Cache Creek, Yellowstone National Park - September 10, 2020 Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Sequoia National Park just before the Creek Fire Backpacking 6
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
NorthwestWanderer The Bailey Range Traverse | An 8 Day Olympic National Park Epic Backpacking 15
scatman Pebble Creek, Yellowstone National Park - August 14, 2020 Backpacking 42
Janice Isle Royale National Park Backpacking 4
norwegianxplorer Sequoia National Park, Backpacking Mt Silliman area, June 2020 Backpacking 8
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
Tim Valentine Pinnacles National Park Winter Hiking & Camping 10
E Glacier National Park in Mid July Trip Planning 0