NapaNoob

napatony13

I'm a late starter. Made my first trip to the Grand Canyon in 2015 at age 57, and have made it back to Arizona/Utah an additional 10 times since then. I love that country...the canyons, the colors, the ruins and rock art. I had never backpacked in my life, but some of the places I wanted to see were too far to day-hike. So far I've only spent 5 nights out in the dirt and have not yet even carried my tent with me. TBH I prefer the comfort of my popup camper and spend most of my nights there, but I'm starting to get more comfortable living out of my pack. I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures and learning from your experiences.

I'm a late starter. Made my first trip to the Grand Canyon in 2015 at age 57, and have made it back to Arizona/Utah an additional 10 times since then. I love that country...the canyons, the colors, the ruins and rock art. I had never backpacked in my life, but some of the places I wanted to see were too far to day-hike. So far I've only spent 5 nights out in the dirt and have not yet even carried my tent with me. TBH I prefer the comfort of my popup camper and spend most of my nights there, but I'm starting to get more comfortable living out of my pack. I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures and learning from your experiences.
There are very few things more admirable and inspiring than an "old dog" learning new tricks - though, especially these days, 57 is hardly your twilight years. Looking forward to your future trip reports as you gain skills and confidence. Bravo, and welcome to BCP!

There are very few things more admirable and inspiring than an "old dog" learning new tricks - though, especially these days, 57 is hardly your twilight years. Looking forward to your future trip reports as you gain skills and confidence. Bravo, and welcome to BCP!
Thanks for the welcome. I have to admit there was some trepidation heading out on my first trip. I'd never carried a full pack, never filtered water, never cooked using a Jetboil, never slept away from my vehicle. It was only for 1 night which made it easier, but a tough hike to a remote spot at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Fortunately all went well and completing it was a great feeling.

Before you tackle your own big trip, I would give you a single piece of advice: Try out every single piece of equipment in your backyard. Stove, tent, water filter, dehydrated meals, sleeping bag, pad, etc. That's where to find out that it doesn't work, or you don't know how to use it. Not six or eight miles out on the trail!

Before you tackle your own big trip, I would give you a single piece of advice: Try out every single piece of equipment in your backyard. Stove, tent, water filter, dehydrated meals, sleeping bag, pad, etc. That's where to find out that it doesn't work, or you don't know how to use it. Not six or eight miles out on the trail!
Yes great advice! I learned my lesson on my last trip. My water filter (that had only previously filtered a couple gallons of clean, clear water) was completely plugged. Fortunately I had tablets for backup, but as they say...that experience left a bad taste in my mouth!

Thanks for the welcome. I have to admit there was some trepidation heading out on my first trip. I'd never carried a full pack, never filtered water, never cooked using a Jetboil, never slept away from my vehicle. It was only for 1 night which made it easier, but a tough hike to a remote spot at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Fortunately all went well and completing it was a great feeling.
Well you're a smarter man than I. On my first backpacking trip, I brought nothing but peanuts, marshmallows, and chocolate chips to eat for three days. On the plus side, it's been all uphill since then!

I'd encourage you to basically do what you're already doing - a whole pile of short, relatively straight-forward trips if you can. Short trips are great for experimenting with different gear and ways of doing things - in short, finding a style that works for you.

Well you're a smarter man than I. On my first backpacking trip, I brought nothing but peanuts, marshmallows, and chocolate chips to eat for three days. On the plus side, it's been all uphill since then!

I'd encourage you to basically do what you're already doing - a whole pile of short, relatively straight-forward trips if you can. Short trips are great for experimenting with different gear and ways of doing things - in short, finding a style that works for you.
Hahaha, when you're young who needs more than salt and sugar anyways! Yes that's good advice, there's no substitute for experience and I'm learning something new each time out. On my last trip I was amazed at how much room I still had in my pack...initially I thought it might have been too small!

Back