Murdock Basin, Uinta Mountains 7.28.2018

jar155

I initially planned on spending a night and two full days on this trip, but plans got changed up on me and I only had Saturday to work with, so the Murdock Basin turned into a good option. I headed out real early Saturday morning with my dog, Ridley, and we followed the Murdock Basin Road up to Pyramid Lake. There were a ton of campers along the road, and both Echo and Pyramid Lakes had a good number of campers as well. I was a little dismayed by how much trash these groups were leaving, but I did my part to pack out what I could.

I chose this area because I could see several things on a short day trip, and I also wanted to catch a Golden Trout, the last trout variety in Utah that I haven't caught on a fly. We spent a little time at Pyramid, but the number of campers made me want to keep moving, so after Ridley swam around for a bit, we hopped over to Echo. People were just starting to get active on Echo, so I rigged up my fly rod and cast out. Right on the first cast I got that Golden Trout I was after. I caught a few more before heading to the north side of the lake and exploring the area up there. We found some ponds, a small stream, and rock hopped a bit.

dW99K2f.jpg

yo7GnMh.jpg

ASAtVEk.jpg

After a little exploration right around Echo, we just went straight up and over the ridge to get to Joan Lake, opting not to find the trail. That climb was brutal...and I I took a rough fall at one point. I wouldn't advise taking a dog on this route, but Ridley eventually found his way through. I did have to lift him up and over a couple of cliffs that were 4-5 feet in height. We did get some spectacular views on this route that would be obscured by trees on the trail, however. Pic of my leg is showing the lump that formed on my shin after one slip.

pLPQImk.jpg

45Pq0sy.jpg

k5jyxRM.jpg

44u178l.jpg

At Joan, it was totally quiet and we didn't see signs of anybody else being there. I caught a handful of brook trout up there, but mostly spent time walking around the edges of the lake as Ridley cooled off in the water. After sharing my lunch with Ridley, we were ready to hop over another set of boulders and make our way up to Blizzard Lake. Unfortunately I don't have pics from Blizzard as a storm moved in and I stuffed my camera into the dry bag before heading back down to Pyramid. Pic is looking back over Joan as we were leaving to Blizzard Lake. The wind was picking up at this point and a small storm was rolling in.

zRH1QBP.jpg

On the way out I fished the Upper Provo and had a great time with the brookies. Ridley was pretty gassed out, but quite content. All in all, it was a great day trip up to the Uintas. We covered a lot of ground, climbed a good amount of elevation, and returned feeling great. I need to take advantage of these perfect weather weekends and get more of these day trips in.

This site has made me realize I love seeing photos of fish! Haha
Thanks for sharing. Too bad you couldn't get some bag nights, but sounds like you made the most of a beautiful day trip. :twothumbs:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Perry Early Winter Day Hike to Packard Lake Plus Murdock Fire Recon Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Murdock fire ... Uintad Trip Planning 2
Dave The Murdock Fire General Discussion 13
DrNed Murdock Canal Trail Hiking & Camping 0
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
S Titcomb Basin week itinerary options? Trip Planning 11
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
P Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstonne 2022, 2nd half Backpacking 4
P Shoshone Geyser Basin, Yellowstone, 2022 Backpacking 6
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 6 - Titcomb Basin to Beaver Park Backpacking 9
M Kannah Creek Basin loop, Grand Junction CO Backpacking 6
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 5 - Camp Lake to Titcomb Basin Backpacking 15
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
Perry Henry's Fork Basin - Camp Site Suggestions Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
OldBill Short Bear Basin exploration, Wind Rivers Trip Planning 7
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
Jeremy C Early season run to Horseshoe Basin Hiking & Camping 7
WasatchWill Naturalist Basin to Middle Basin? Almost... Backpacking 6
Tim Valentine Shoshone Geyser Basin Paddle Trip 2010 On The Water 10
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Cait Hell's Kitchen Basin - Old Pack Trail post Box Fire Trip Reports 3
WoodyBR549 Wild Basin Trip Planning 2
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
Mike K Kings Peak Via Garfield Basin Backpacking 18
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
Jackson Naturalist Basin - September 2019 Backpacking 14
Yvonne Backpacking the Winds: From Elkhart TH to Titcomb Basin, July 2018 Backpacking 20
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the John Muir Wilderness : Humphreys Basin Backpacking 3
chandlerwest Monument Basin - Canyonlands NP - Not enough hours in a day. Hiking & Camping 6
Stephanie B First Foray into Beef Basin Hiking & Camping 3
chandlerwest Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak Hiking & Camping 13
McKee80 TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19 Backpacking 14
balzaccom Sabrina Basin exploration Backpacking 1
bdunn02 Stough Creek Basin via Twin Lakes Backpacking 7
Parma Idaho's White Cloud Mountains - Boulder Chain Lakes - Chamberlain Basin Backpacking 8
NorthwestWanderer Dayhike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass Hiking & Camping 1
Perry Exploring above Cataract Basin - One of the Best Seats in the House Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Booth Lake Basin - Gore Range, Colorado Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer Yellow Aster Butte & Tomyhoi Lakes Basin, WA Hiking & Camping 11
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6