Multimodal Transport on Wham Ridge

the picture is from the nps description of the goat trail. let me know when you're thinking of going, i am very interested. i'm aware of the logistical issues, i've read into it.

all trip reports are slowly coming. there are too many pictures to select between, on account of a bad habit of taking 100-200/day. that's the chief hold up.

I would highly recommend the backpack up that drainage. AND combine it with the 4WD and choochoo piece too. In fact, I have a loop designed just for that reason with significant off-piste travel. Tempted?

Being a local I'll bet you have been over the Imogene pass before, right?

While I have yet to take the train ride (just never seem to get around to it), I have traveled most of the 4x4 roads in the area, including Imogene.

Still playing catchup on all the recent trip reports and WOW was this one a gem! Truly motivates you to want to push the boundaries of adventure. I love how it was an epic journey just to get to the climb... And those views are breathtaking. Thanks for this massive dose of inspiration Art!!

Last edited:
The San Juans were the location of the last grizzly bear killed in the lower 48 until we came to our senses and started helping them back to their environment. I may have that memory wrong. It may be the location of the last bear in Colorado and not the last in all of the 48 - I will have to go look it up.
Grizzlies had been thought extinct from Colorado for some 30 years or so, until a guide killed a grizzly (after being mauled) in 1979 in the San Juans. Since then there has been speculation that grizzlies do still exist there. The grizzly killed was an older female, and could have had cubs. Which would have also meant a male was there to mate. But no other grizzlies where ever found.

There are 2 good books about grizzlies in the San Juans. One is called Ghost Grizzlies by David Petersen. The other is The Lost Grizzlies by Rick Bass. In that book, Bass and Doug Peacock go out looking for the bears. They found some interesting things. I have both books if your interested in reading them.

Those stories have definitely peaked my interest in the San Juan Mountains. I hope to start exploring that area in the next couple of years. I know @scatman has hiked out to where that mauling and last grizzly incident took place. He may know some more about it.

Grizzlies had been thought extinct from Colorado for some 30 years or so, until a guide killed a grizzly (after being mauled) in 1979 in the San Juans. Since then there has been speculation that grizzlies do still exist there. The grizzly killed was an older female, and could have had cubs. Which would have also meant a male was there to mate. But no other grizzlies where ever found.

There are 2 good books about grizzlies in the San Juans. One is called Ghost Grizzlies by David Petersen. The other is The Lost Grizzlies by Rick Bass. In that book, Bass and Doug Peacock go out looking for the bears. They found some interesting things. I have both books if your interested in reading them.

Those stories have definitely peaked my interest in the San Juan Mountains. I hope to start exploring that area in the next couple of years. I know @scatman has hiked out to where that mauling and last grizzly incident took place. He may know some more about it.
Great info! I would like to read the one Peacock was involved with. I''ll trade you my Wind Rivers bible.

Last edited:
Makes the palms sweaty but do not want to climb it. A long winger with injuries took care of that years ago. Standing at the base of Wham will do. Have a route and planned to go this year but partners wussed out. Following is a route I put together from various sources. I can't vouch for the validity but it is pretty well established. I'm going to do it from Molas Lake to give myself some semblance of respect for not climbing the ridge. Saves some $$ also. The train stop is marked at Elk Park.

All of this I am sure is well known by members of this forum but if not, there it is...

Click here to view on CalTopo

Unlikely there are any more grizzlies in the San Juan's. If there were any they would likely be in and around the Terra Amarilla Land Grant. It is remote, large, private, and untravelled by those seeking recreation. The CDT was diverted from there because the owners would not allow access through it. Quite tantalizing all around when one considers the twin anxieties of Griz and the penalties of trespassing combined. Alas there is little likelihood considering the sheer size of territory that a breeding population would need. But what if....

Open up the map. The yellow part is Terra Amarilla.

Makes the palms sweaty but do not want to climb it. A long winger with injuries took care of that years ago. Standing at the base of Wham will do. Have a route and planned to go this year but partners wussed out. Following is a route I put together from various sources. I can't vouch for the validity but it is pretty well established. I'm going to do it from Molas Lake to give myself some semblance of respect for not climbing the ridge. Saves some $$ also. The train stop is marked at Elk Park.

All of this I am sure is well known by members of this forum but if not, there it is...

I have some other routes in work for that area. Going over the pass to the east and bending north to intersect the Colorado trail, starting at the next train stop further south and heading up the next drainage to the south then past the Needles, up Vallecito Creek and on to the Colorado trail, climbing Arrow Peak or Electric Peak instead which are "walk-ups", etc.....

Friend @lostlandscapes did the big loop I spoke about some years ago. We even scouted the pass to the east that wends its way down to Trinity Lake. Definitely walkable. Can share any of that with you if you want or maybe these teasers are enough. Send a PM or start another planning thread if you want more bad advice ;)

Last edited:
I have some other routes in work for that area. Going over the pass to the northeast and further north to intersect the Colorado trail, starting at the next train stop further south and heading up the next drainage to the south then to the Colorado trail, climbing Arrow Peak or Electric Peak instead which are "walk-ups", etc..... Friend @lostlandscapes did the big loop I spoke about some years ago. Can share any of that with you if you want or maybe these teasers are enough. Send a PM or start another planning thread if you need more bad advice ;)

Thanks may take you up on it after the sloth season is over...:twothumbs:

That has to be one of my favorite ranges in the entire country. We did the extra CT distance coming down from Molas Pass. I think that's what it is called. 10 years ago now. I scrambled your descent route, after Arrow, because my partner was sleeping on the rope back in camp with a fever and flu. The top of Wham Ridge looked intimidating anyway, so I didn't mind missing it. Though, it sure looks classic indeed. He felt good enough to do the traverse of the Trinity Peaks the next day. 5 of my favorite mountains ever with that upward tilted quartzite. Gorgeous mountains everywhere accessible from that one high camp.

Congratulations on conquering your nemesis!
It looked beautiful and frightening, but of course, a worthwhile adventure. Seems very fun to me that you got to take a train. :) Thanks for the share!

Oh...Wow you posted this years ago. Hah. My bad, I didn't pay attention. My comments still apply though, just a LATE congratulations...

That has to be one of my favorite ranges in the entire country. We did the extra CT distance coming down from Molas Pass. I think that's what it is called. 10 years ago now. I scrambled your descent route, after Arrow, because my partner was sleeping on the rope back in camp with a fever and flu. The top of Wham Ridge looked intimidating anyway, so I didn't mind missing it. Though, it sure looks classic indeed. He felt good enough to do the traverse of the Trinity Peaks the next day. 5 of my favorite mountains ever with that upward tilted quartzite. Gorgeous mountains everywhere accessible from that one high camp.
Sure would like to hear your account of the Trinity traverse or a few pics!

Oh...Wow you posted this years ago. Hah. My bad, I didn't pay attention. My comments still apply though, just a LATE congratulations...
Thanks Miya! I did post it a while back but the first attempt was many years ago. Still felt like an old but cantankerous friend.