Muddy Creek and Kane/Bullet

futurafree

I'm considering Allen's Muddy Creek or the Kane/Bullet Grand Gulch loop for a possible extra adventure during my April in Utah.
If high temperatures are in the mid-60's to mid-70's, will walking the Chute for all those hours be painfully cold or even hypothermia-inducing? Is it usually only ankle deep in mid/late April, or calf-high or worse?
I see Kane/Bullet is permitted, which often means heavy use. How crowded and how many groups did you see if you've been in high season?
Thank you for your help.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
It's not that crowded - because it requires permits, and they're limited. You'll see a few groups. But it should still be reasonably quiet.

Bob

Trailmaster
Try bullet to government trail. Other options other than Kane which gets a lot.

futurafree

Try bullet to government trail. Other options other than Kane which gets a lot.
Government would also be a more peaceful dirt road walk back to my car vs the narrow paved highway to the ranger station. How do the ruins compare if I chose this alternate?

gnwatts

There are quite a few great loop hikes in this area. A variation on @Bob suggestion would be to exit Grand Gulch (just before the Government Trail) by going up Poly's Canyon all the way, bypassing the Government Trail.

Reactions: Bob

Bob

Trailmaster
futurafree....... sent you a PM.

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
It's not that crowded - because it requires permits, and they're limited. You'll see a few groups. But it should still be reasonably quiet.
Just got back from Kane - Bullet and I beg to differ! I was surprised at just how many people we saw on the loop! I did it about 5 years ago and saw no one the whole time, but it seemed crazy busy to me this time. I won't be doing the loop again.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Just got back from Kane - Bullet and I beg to differ! I was surprised at just how many people we saw on the loop! I did it about 5 years ago and saw no one the whole time, but it seemed crazy busy to me this time. I won't be doing the loop again.
Thanks for the update! Is it mostly folks day-hiking from the top of each canyon? Or did they up the number of available permits?

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Thanks for the update! Is it mostly folks day-hiking from the top of each canyon? Or did they up the number of available permits?
Lots of day hikers down Kane to Turkey Pen Ruin, Todie Canyon, Sheiks Canyon and Bullet Canyon, especially on the weekend. They haven't increased the amount of overnight permits (20 per day from each trailhead), but it sure seems like more people are using them now, which was not the case just a few years ago.

RyanP

Formerly bob32
Lots of day hikers down Kane to Turkey Pen Ruin, Todie Canyon, Sheiks Canyon and Bullet Canyon, especially on the weekend. They haven't increased the amount of overnight permits (20 per day from each trailhead), but it sure seems like more people are using them now, which was not the case just a few years ago.
Uggh, that's so sad to hear. Another magical place getting ruined. Thanks for the update

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
norwegianxplorer Muddy Creek 6 day backpacking loop with My Own Frontier Backpacking 5
Dave Bumping down Muddy Creek On The Water 1
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting and Bikepacking from the San Rafael River to Muddy Creek On The Water 0
swmalone Muddy Wheeler Creek Trail Run Everything Else 5
kansas Trail along Muddy Creek Trip Planning 11
fiber Invite Muddy Creek 6 day loop or other trips in May? Meet Up (Members Only) 6
BJett Kayaking the Chute of Muddy Creek On The Water 8
kerkphil Chute of Muddy Creek Hiking & Camping 6
Go-deep San Rafael Swell and the Chute of Muddy Creek Trip Planning 3
Desertrat The Grand Gorge of Muddy Creek Hiking & Camping 8
Titans Slick muddy recovery in Southern Utah General Discussion 8
Dave Maybe Muddy? General Discussion 2
Deadeye008 Running High and Muddy On The Water 9
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake, Ouzel Creek, and Three Rivers Junction -- September 13-16 2021 Backpacking 58
G Trachyte Creek conditions/water Trip Planning 0
scatman Gneiss Creek Part 2 - Yellowstone National Park - September 18, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 4
wsp_scott Honey Creek (Big South Fork) Backpacking 5
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 31
TractorDoc Off Trail to Yellowstone's Aster Lake and Upper Witch Creek -- September 13, 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
scatman Gneiss Creek - Yellowstone National Park - September 8, 2021 Backpacking 17
Bob Sand Creek Fire - Wind Rivers General Discussion 0
WasatchWill Halls Creek: Version 2.0 Backpacking 9
seaview53 Sawtooth trip planning. Iron Creek to Tin Cup Trip Planning 4
regehr Fox Creek, Teton Range Hiking & Camping 19
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
Udink Salt Creek and the Birdcage Panel Hiking & Camping 7
napatony13 SEEKING KANAB CREEK ADVICE Trip Planning 3
Bob Slough Creek Views Trip Reports 14
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
regehr Millers Creek General Discussion 0
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
Lowro Tourist Creek, WRR Trip Planning 12
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Trip Planning 2
Miya Beach Backpacking and Creek Bed Sleeping Backpacking 29
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
scatman Cache Creek, Yellowstone National Park - September 10, 2020 Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Sequoia National Park just before the Creek Fire Backpacking 6
P Salt Creek water Backpacking 2
Arizona Jones Wet Beaver Creek Arizona, Backpack Trip Backpacking 8
B Thorofare loop (almost) Cabin Creek, Hawk's Rest, Ishawooa Creek 8/11-19 Backpacking 55
scatman Pebble Creek, Yellowstone National Park - August 14, 2020 Backpacking 42
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone part 2, from the Headwaters of Yellowstone River, through the Thorofare, Overlook Mountain, Rampart Creek Backpacking 9
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
andyjaggy Deep Creek Lakes and Windriver Peak Trip Planning 6