Muddy Creek and Kane/Bullet

futurafree

I'm considering Allen's Muddy Creek or the Kane/Bullet Grand Gulch loop for a possible extra adventure during my April in Utah.
If high temperatures are in the mid-60's to mid-70's, will walking the Chute for all those hours be painfully cold or even hypothermia-inducing? Is it usually only ankle deep in mid/late April, or calf-high or worse?
I see Kane/Bullet is permitted, which often means heavy use. How crowded and how many groups did you see if you've been in high season?
Thank you for your help.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
It's not that crowded - because it requires permits, and they're limited. You'll see a few groups. But it should still be reasonably quiet.

Bob

Trailmaster
Try bullet to government trail. Other options other than Kane which gets a lot.

futurafree

Try bullet to government trail. Other options other than Kane which gets a lot.
Government would also be a more peaceful dirt road walk back to my car vs the narrow paved highway to the ranger station. How do the ruins compare if I chose this alternate?

gnwatts

There are quite a few great loop hikes in this area. A variation on @Bob suggestion would be to exit Grand Gulch (just before the Government Trail) by going up Poly's Canyon all the way, bypassing the Government Trail.

Reactions: Bob

Bob

Trailmaster
futurafree....... sent you a PM.

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
It's not that crowded - because it requires permits, and they're limited. You'll see a few groups. But it should still be reasonably quiet.
Just got back from Kane - Bullet and I beg to differ! I was surprised at just how many people we saw on the loop! I did it about 5 years ago and saw no one the whole time, but it seemed crazy busy to me this time. I won't be doing the loop again.

LarryBoy

Hiker Trash
Just got back from Kane - Bullet and I beg to differ! I was surprised at just how many people we saw on the loop! I did it about 5 years ago and saw no one the whole time, but it seemed crazy busy to me this time. I won't be doing the loop again.
Thanks for the update! Is it mostly folks day-hiking from the top of each canyon? Or did they up the number of available permits?

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Thanks for the update! Is it mostly folks day-hiking from the top of each canyon? Or did they up the number of available permits?
Lots of day hikers down Kane to Turkey Pen Ruin, Todie Canyon, Sheiks Canyon and Bullet Canyon, especially on the weekend. They haven't increased the amount of overnight permits (20 per day from each trailhead), but it sure seems like more people are using them now, which was not the case just a few years ago.

RyanP

Formerly bob32
Lots of day hikers down Kane to Turkey Pen Ruin, Todie Canyon, Sheiks Canyon and Bullet Canyon, especially on the weekend. They haven't increased the amount of overnight permits (20 per day from each trailhead), but it sure seems like more people are using them now, which was not the case just a few years ago.
Uggh, that's so sad to hear. Another magical place getting ruined. Thanks for the update

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
norwegianxplorer Muddy Creek 6 day backpacking loop with My Own Frontier Backpacking 5
Dave Bumping down Muddy Creek On The Water 1
George_Washington_Hayduke Packrafting and Bikepacking from the San Rafael River to Muddy Creek On The Water 0
swmalone Muddy Wheeler Creek Trail Run Everything Else 5
kansas Trail along Muddy Creek Trip Planning 11
fiber Invite Muddy Creek 6 day loop or other trips in May? Meet Up (Members Only) 6
BJett Kayaking the Chute of Muddy Creek On The Water 8
kerkphil Chute of Muddy Creek Hiking & Camping 6
Go-deep San Rafael Swell and the Chute of Muddy Creek Trip Planning 3
Desertrat The Grand Gorge of Muddy Creek Hiking & Camping 8
Titans Slick muddy recovery in Southern Utah General Discussion 8
Dave Maybe Muddy? General Discussion 2
Deadeye008 Running High and Muddy On The Water 9
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 7
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 26
regehr Millers Creek General Discussion 0
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
Lowro Tourist Creek, WRR Trip Planning 12
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Hiking & Camping 2
Miya Beach Backpacking and Creek Bed Sleeping Backpacking 29
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
scatman Cache Creek, Yellowstone National Park - September 10, 2020 Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Sequoia National Park just before the Creek Fire Backpacking 6
P Salt Creek water Backpacking 2
Arizona Jones Wet Beaver Creek Arizona, Backpack Trip Backpacking 8
B Thorofare loop (almost) Cabin Creek, Hawk's Rest, Ishawooa Creek 8/11-19 Backpacking 52
scatman Pebble Creek, Yellowstone National Park - August 14, 2020 Backpacking 42
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone part 2, from the Headwaters of Yellowstone River, through the Thorofare, Overlook Mountain, Rampart Creek Backpacking 9
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
andyjaggy Deep Creek Lakes and Windriver Peak Trip Planning 6
B Thorofare loop from Deer Creek Trip Planning 20
regehr "Sulphur Creek is flashing" Canyoneering 0
ramblinman Boulder Creek Day Hike, Escalante National Monument Hiking & Camping 5
S Hansen Creek Rio Grande NF Conejos River Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer 3 days in Idaho/Oregon's Hells Canyon: Pittsburgh Landing to Willow Creek Backpacking 2
I Water in Frisky Creek south of Highway 12 in the Grand Staircase? Trip Planning 0
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Stevens Canyon Trip Planning 28
Blake Merrell Fossil Creek Backpacking 10
ram A Christmas Pine Creek/Keyhole Canyoneering 1
Kullaberg63 Pack Creek to Castle Valley - below the rim. Backpacking 0
westy Fishhawk Creek, Washakie Wilderness Area Trip Planning 4
Blake Merrell Clear Creek Reservoir On The Water 6
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
Tim Valentine Big Pine Creek Eastern Sierra Backpacking 10
scatman Whetstone Creek, Teton Wilderness - October 11-14, 2019 Backpacking 19
scatman Grebe Lake, Headwaters of Lava Creek and Observation Peak, Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2019 Backpacking 7
TrektheWorld Salt Creek or other Utah Backpack Meet Up (Members Only) 2
McKee80 TR: Bear Lakes Basin Pine Creek TH 09-05/11-19 Backpacking 14
TrektheWorld Salt Creek - Needles or other options in the Utah desert Trip Planning 4