MSR MicroRocket

Nick

-
Well this looks kind of cool. MSR appears to have finally made a follow up to the extremely popular Pocket Rocket stove. This was introduced at the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market. I'm a big fan of the Pocket Rocket so this sounds like a logical upgrade. Crazy light at 2.6 oz but I don't really get the Piezo Ignitor. Why not just carry a lighter?

From MSR's website:

The new MicroRocket stove is not just our smallest and lightest, it also delivers the best mix of weight, size, performance and price of any stove in its class. It fits easily inside an MSR® Insulated Mug, weighs a mere 2.6 oz. (75 g) and features outstanding stability. We also engineered the MicroRocket to maintain top-notch efficiency and power so the hard-earned weight savings wasn't lost carrying extra fuel. If you're on mission to reduce your load to the absolute minimum, this is your rocket. Carry case and handheld piezo igniter included.
  • Compact: Folding legs pack exceptionally small, fitting into an MSR® Insulated Mug.
  • Light: Weighs just 75 g (2.6oz.)
  • Strong: Pot supports located close to burner head for excellent stability.
  • Wind-Resistant: Concave burner head with WindClip™ protection pushes a persistent, solid flame.
  • Fast: Boils 1 liter of water in just 3.5 minutes.
  • Piezo Ignition: Tubular design offers excellent durability and captures gas for reliable ignition.
Side by side with the Pocket Rocket courtesy of REI's Facebook Page:
rockets.jpg

Wow. 2.6 oz is light. I actually just purchased one of these ultralight canister stoves. I still haven't received it but I'll be sure to but up a review when I do. It's not a name brand stove but I figured for under $9 shipped it was worth a test. Website says it weighs 4.09 oz so a little heavier than this stove here.

dang...i want...even though I'm happy with my pocket rocket..