mountaineering course?

I don't have experience with either group, but I have a good friend who has done multiple climbs (Baker, Rainier x2, and others) with RMI and has nothing but great things to say about them. From a reputation standpoint, I think RMI, IMG, and AAI are held in similar esteem - so it might come down to the specifics of the trip you choose and what you want to practice. I've also seen some posts over on summitpost.org comparing more specific offerings that might help you decide.

Last edited:
I have no knowledge of the folks you are talking about, but several years ago a friend and I were out of our depth on Mt Baker (actually it was just me that was out of my depth -- my friend was a mountaineer since the 70s and had climbed an 8000 meter peak) and so we arranged a custom trip with AAI and it was absolutely first class and if Jason Martin is still involved there please seek him out, just a really nice and incredibly knowledgeable guide. A few details and pics are available here: https://blog.regehr.org/archives/156

I don't have experience with either group, but I have a good friend who has done multiple climbs (Baker, Rainier x2, and others) with RMI and has nothing but great things to say about them. From a reputation standpoint, I think RMI, IMG, and AAI are held in similar esteem - so it might come down to the specifics of the trip you choose and what you want to practice. I've also seen some posts over on summitpost.org comparing more specific offerings that might help you decide.
Thanks @TheMountainRabbit, I'll take a look over at summitpost. I think mostly I wanted to know they are reputable and will help me develop more skills. I think part of it now is I probably don't know all the skills that comes with mountaineering or what I should work more on so probably all will be good.

By the way, what was the snow/avalanche rescue day courses you mentioned last year that really helped you in getting to know the different types of ice and snow better?

I have no knowledge of the folks you are talking about, but several years ago a friend and I were out of our depth on Mt Baker (actually it was just me that was out of my depth -- my friend was a mountaineer since the 70s and had climbed an 8000 meter peak) and so we arranged a custom trip with AAI and it was absolutely first class and if Jason Martin is still involved there please seek him out, just a really nice and incredibly knowledgeable guide. A few details and pics are available here: https://blog.regehr.org/archives/156
Thanks, your trip report is very informative and helps to know what the course is about. It makes me feel much better about ponying up for the course.

AAI is definitely a reputable company. I only know them by reputation as I shy away from technical climbing but they're held in high esteem, as are RMI and IMG as TheMountainRabbit says.

From your post it sounds like you aren't local to the Seattle area. If you were there are a number of mountaineering clubs that offer courses as well that would probably shake out cheaper than a course from one of the guiding companies, but the courses are often offered on a series of weekends which might not work if you're from out of town (and registration for the 2022 classes are probably closed at this point). The biggest and most well-known is the Mountaineers.

If you made a post on NWHikers.net asking about the different local climbing courses they'd be able to provide a lot more information than me.

AAI is definitely a reputable company. I only know them by reputation as I shy away from technical climbing but they're held in high esteem, as are RMI and IMG as TheMountainRabbit says.

From your post it sounds like you aren't local to the Seattle area. If you were there are a number of mountaineering clubs that offer courses as well that would probably shake out cheaper than a course from one of the guiding companies, but the courses are often offered on a series of weekends which might not work if you're from out of town (and registration for the 2022 classes are probably closed at this point). The biggest and most well-known is the Mountaineers.

If you made a post on NWHikers.net asking about the different local climbing courses they'd be able to provide a lot more information than me.
Thanks for the info. Yea, unfortunately I'm based out of DC. But these are good resources for the future if I get a chance to move back out west.