Mountain biking St George

Tyler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm heading down to St George for work this week and want to bring my bike along. Can anyone suggest any moderate rides that take 4-5 hours? I'll be hitting this solo, so nothing that is going to possibly injure me, but I'd like some nice dips and drops and maybe a few jumps here and there. I'm bringing my 45 lbs downhill bike, so not a lot of steep climbs either (although it hasn't stopped me in the past). Leaving Monday night so would appreciate any advice. Sorry for late notice.

Not backpacking but mountain biking yes! JEM is great! Bear Claw Poppy and Stucki Springs. I am getting kicked off the computer for a homework assignment so ask specific questions if you like and I will answer.

Are any of those loops? I don't have a shuttle (just parking my rental car somewhere and hoping to get back to it). Would those trails suggested cover what I'm looking for? Will they be ok with a full suspension downhill bike?

Stucki can be done as a loop and you can combine the last part of Bear Claw to hit the fun stuff. Have you seen this forum. http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ they have trail maps for the St. George area. Find the all inclusive trail map on it is near the bottom of the page on the left hand side. If you start at the Bloomington trail head and head up on the right side of the green Bloomington Micro Loop route and then connect to the blue for just a bit to get to Snakepit it is a wash you can ride up to the top or go ahead and take the far left blue route for Stucki and just stay on the blue tell you are ready to pick a trail and come back down. If you stay on Stucki you can ride back down Snake Pit or ride Stucki to the Stucki Cutoff over to Bear Claw. I wish I had my own map to link to for this ride but I don't. Guess I will get on that. There is good info on that site and if you have any questions about any of those trails let me know I have ridden a good share of them.

Here is a vid of me riding out there first of the month.

In the first of the video I am just coming out of Snakepit onto the back side of Stucki and ride Stucki to the Stucki Cutoff but I don't join back up with Bear Claw in this video. I think you would prefer riding the bottom of Bear Claw. Just to show ya in this video we start at the top of Bear Claw cut over to the Stucki Cutoff ride up it and come down Snakepit and onto the lower half of Bear Claw.

A person can spend 1 hour to an entire day out there in that area riding trails and NEVER get bored.

I work during the day but could ride Tuesday after work. I could meet you at the trail head by 3:30 that would give us plenty time to ride before loosing daylight. Let me know. Other wise have fun!

Thanks so much for the info! I'm likely going out Wednesday morning. I love the videos (need to get me a GoPro....next year purchase). It would be cool to ride with someone that knows the area, but I can't expect people to be around at my beck and call. I come down at least 4 times a year for work, so we'll have to hit up the area for sure on another visit down. Seriously, much appreciated for the info and advice! Can't thank you enough.

By the way, love the video. What was the music on the first video? Also, do you know if I can get cell reception out there? I have AT&T.

The music on the first video is from danosongs.com just good royalty free music.

I have Verizion and get cell reception out there.

Not backpacking but mountain biking yes! JEM is great! Bear Claw Poppy and Stucki Springs. I am getting kicked off the computer for a homework assignment so ask specific questions if you like and I will answer.

Haha. I have backpacking on the brain. :confused: Let me try typing it again. Mountain Biking. There, I did it! :D

Haha. I have backpacking on the brain. :confused: Let me try typing it again. Mountain Biking. There, I did it! :D

Yeah when I read that I chuckled and thought... he is a little obsessed. :p

I rode Rhythm and Blues over by Quail Creek after work tonight (staying at the Holiday Inn nearby). Pretty fun loop and lots of challenges (i.e. getting off and walking/pushing). Loved the workout though.

I'm heading over to Stucki tomorrow morning before I head home. Do you think there's as much pushing there as there was for me at Rhythm and Blues? Also, kind of regretting not wearing my shin pads, would you recommend them over at the Stucki area? Any other tips on gear to wear? I mostly do downhill stuff (like at ski resorts), so I'm used to being fully padded up, so I'm not sure what is the norm for stuff like Stucki. Thanks in advanced.

I rode Rhythm and Blues over by Quail Creek after work tonight (staying at the Holiday Inn nearby). Pretty fun loop and lots of challenges (i.e. getting off and walking/pushing). Loved the workout though.

I do like that one! It is a work out. Short n sweet. Doesn't look like much from the road but well worth exploring and more technical than you expect.

I'm heading over to Stucki tomorrow morning before I head home. Do you think there's as much pushing there as there was for me at Rhythm and Blues?
No it rides smoother. R&B is a lot of up down in a short space, Stucki is uphill but mostly all uphill (gradual) until you come down.

Also, kind of regretting not wearing my shin pads, would you recommend them over at the Stucki area? Any other tips on gear to wear? I mostly do downhill stuff (like at ski resorts), so I'm used to being fully padded up, so I'm not sure what is the norm for stuff like Stucki. Thanks in advanced.
Maybe, there are some crazy drops you can do if you know where they are, ones I won't do. I typically don't where any gear on Stucki but then I am not out there to ride downhill style (and not really that good at it either) but if that is what you like and bomb like mad maybe you should where them. Many people have broken ribs and clavicles out there. Hope that helps.

I do like that one! It is a work out. Short n sweet. Doesn't look like much from the road but well worth exploring and more technical than you expect.

No it rides smoother. R&B is a lot of up down in a short space, Stucki is uphill but mostly all uphill (gradual) until you come down.

Maybe, there are some crazy drops you can do if you know where they are, ones I won't do. I typically don't where any gear on Stucki but then I am not out there to ride downhill style (and not really that good at it either) but if that is what you like and bomb like mad maybe you should where them. Many people have broken ribs and clavicles out there. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for the info blueeyes. Hope I don't break any clavicles tomorrow :).

I expect a full report when you are back home! Enjoy your ride.

I expect a full report when you are back home! Enjoy your ride.

Had an awesome time today before I headed back to SLC. Rode the Bloomington trail to Bloomington Alt (had to get off an push a bit here and there on this one). Then worked my way back down onto Bloomington. From there I went left to the Stucki trail and being a bit confused, I wasn't quite aware of what trail I was on. I started heading south and pushed my bike WAY up a steep hill on the trail when I realized I was going the long way on Stucki, so I turned around and bombed back down that hill (which made all the pushing WELL worth it). I then made my way down a steep embankment into Snake Pit, crossed that and pushed up the hill until I found the snake pit rim. I then rode that all the way until it met Snake Pit and rode from there a few hundred more yards before turning around (not being quite sure how close I was to Stucki Springs, which is where I wanted to go, but was running out of time).

The ride back was AWESOME. Hardly any pedaling, but it really wore me out hitting all the tight turns and little kickers. I rode Snake Pit all the way back to where it becomes Bloomington, then rode up to Clavical and headed back along Bearclaw Poppi and that ride along Bearclaw was amazing. I was surpised how well-marked this area of the trails was. The great thing about this is that I know if I didn't have a lot of time I could totally come and just ride Bloomington over to Clavicle, then ride Bearclaw Poppi back and maybe even do that twice and have a total blast.

Here is a link to my route (I hope it works): http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/67131520/

I mounted my camera to the handlebars on my bike (I called it my Ghetto-Pro) and that experiment failed miserably (too shaky, duh). I need to invest in a Go-Pro for sure. Here is a picture of the Ghetto Pro and here is a video of it falling off my bike toward the end on Bearclaw Poppi (surprised it lasted through my whole ride until then). My camera passed the shock proof test (still works).

"The Ghetto Pro1" by root_family, on Flickr

There was some FUN riding out here and I can't wait to get back.

Tyler the video is funny!!! Glad your GhettoPro still works.

I took my friend out to ride R&B today. His comment was "These people have a vendetta against clip-less pedals!" I have only rode it once but forgot just how brutal that ride can be for how short it is!!! I love it!!!