Mount Wire - February 25, 2023

scatman

You've all seen Mount Wire several times, but this hike to the summit was my hardest ever. With all the recent snow, the last 0.5 - 0.7 miles of this hike was post-holing to the summit. It absolutely wore me out. It took me a good hour and twenty minutes to cover that last half mile. :)

01.jpg
Getting ready at the trailhead

02.jpg
Love the golden grass against the white snow

03.jpg
Zoomed in

04.jpg
Mount Wire behind

05.jpg
An out of focus spider along the trail

05b.jpg
Relatively easy going so far

06.jpg
A chickadee

07.jpg
Making our way up the draw

08.jpg
A wishbone in the trail

08b.jpg
How does this thing work? :)

09.jpg
Sheila, making her way up to the saddle

09b.jpg
Once we began our way from the saddle to the summit, our troubles began

10.jpg
Whomever went ahead of me must have been a touch lighter than me. :)

10b.jpg
Getting a little annoyed at this point.

10c.jpg
Scatman down!

11.jpg
The beacon ahead

11b.jpg
Sheila had to give me a push on my derrière to get me out of this predicament. :)

11c.jpg
Victory!

12.jpg
I barely had enough energy for the BCP greeting @Rockskipper

13.jpg
Summit shot

13b.jpg
Sheila, with Broads Fork Twin Peaks in the far distance

Some shots from the summit
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
16b.jpg
A view over Parley's Ridge to Gobblers Knob and Mount Raymond on the Millcreek Ridge to the south

17.jpg
Downtown SLC

18.jpg
Some nice oak leaves on our way back down

19.jpg
A couple of hound dogs set to greet me

19b.jpg
A deer trail only @Bob could love. :D

20.jpg
The sun remained behind the clouds all day which gave a kind of eerie feeling to the hike

23.jpg
Back at the Subaru

24.jpg
And of course the after hike meal on a Saturday night is pizza - a combo this time

25.jpg
And to wash it all down, a Big Bad Baptist Rum Barrel Aged Imperial Stout from EPIC
Brewery. Ask @TractorDoc about this one. :)

The End.

I thought SLC got hammered with snow.... doesnt look like much there

PS ..... you know they make snowshoes you could carry incase??????

A couple of hound dogs set to greet me
Did either of those dogs have the little wooden keg on their collar to offer you a splash of whiskey? I'm not sure if that is a job only reserved for St. Bernards. . . maybe hound dogs handle the task in Utah.

I tried to warn @scatman that those barrel aged brews are potent, but I don't think he believed me. I'm betting he needed one of those after a day of post-holing on tender shins. ;)

Adventure….looks like more snow comin yall’s way…here in th high 80s later this week….

Nice hike. Even though you neglected to use snowshoes and postholed in the deeper snow. Tsk tsk tsk.

My bad, I honestly thought that trail runners would have packed it down long before I arrived.

Did either of those dogs have the little wooden keg on their collar to offer you a splash of whiskey? I'm not sure if that is a job only reserved for St. Bernards. . . maybe hound dogs handle the task in Utah.

I tried to warn @scatman that those barrel aged brews are potent, but I don't think he believed me. I'm betting he needed one of those after a day of post-holing on tender shins. ;)

Are you kidding, if they had had kegs I'd have never made it down the mountain. :D

Wouldn't it have been something if your hand froze to your nose in the salute? Probably not the best way to make new friends. :)

Who said it didn't? :D No new friends to make on this hike, though there was a couple coming up behind us, but they turned around after the first part of the posthole section. After @regehr's video, they may have been the smart ones.

I thought SLC got hammered with snow.... doesnt look like much there

PS ..... you know they make snowshoes you could carry incase??????

Yeah, we should have packed our snowshoes for this one. Oops!

I got about 16 inches at my house with this last storm.

Is that a grimace or a smile when you fell over? or maybe gravity just pulled enough to make it look like a smile.
The postholing is definitely challenging. All the snow this year has been great.
I was not up in the hills this weekend. Rugby got off to a flying start and kept me confined all day Saturday.

Is that a grimace or a smile when you fell over? or maybe gravity just pulled enough to make it look like a smile.
The postholing is definitely challenging. All the snow this year has been great.
I was not up in the hills this weekend. Rugby got off to a flying start and kept me confined all day Saturday.

Definitely gravity taking its effect. :D I can tell with the postholing, that I'm weaker than I used to be. I'll blame that on gravity too. :)

You know, if you want to use snowshoes, and are interested.
I don't have any events this Saturday and was contemplating a morning jaunt up to Lone Rock here at the south end. There's snow, so the new-ish bike-only track that requires one to take their life into their own hands in summer is not an issue in winter.
Draper trails did not really take hiking to Lone Rock into consideration when they revamped it all last year or the year before.

You know, if you want to use snowshoes, and are interested.
I don't have any events this Saturday and was contemplating a morning jaunt up to Lone Rock here at the south end. There's snow, so the new-ish bike-only track that requires one to take their life into their own hands in summer is not an issue in winter.
Draper trails did not really take hiking to Lone Rock into consideration when they revamped it all last year or the year before.

Can't make it this weekend, I've already committed to other things. Thanks for the invite though.