More Adirondack Wandering ...

kwc

On Friday I chose to hike up Catamount Mtn,, which is close to Whiteface Mtn. Short hike but very steep ... you climb 2500 feet in about 1.5 miles.

A snapshot of some of the trail ... up and over rock, Adirondack style. Obviously switchbacks are for wussies.
20190913_115626_HDR.jpg

A bit further up the trail ... the squeeze ... it's pretty tight for this fat old guy. Beyond this it's a scramble up bare open rock.
20190913_115931_HDR.jpg

Esther in the foreground, Whiteface beyond that.
20190913_121249_HDR.jpg

So after this climb & a lunch break on top, I decided to check out another hike closer to Keene.
I hiked to Clements Pond ... steady uphill until the last quarter mile as the trail descended to the pond.
Some dramatic fungi along the trail ...
20190913_142727_HDR.jpg

some rocky outcrops along the way
20190913_143641_HDR.jpg

one of the steeper sections of the trail ...
20190913_144258_HDR.jpg

The pond ... there's a campsite in the trees behind where this photo was taken
20190913_151047_HDR.jpg

this little pond was near Clements Pond ... very shallow with great reflections. Note that a few trees are changing color!
20190913_154528_HDR.jpg

Today started windy and gloomy ... I waited for the weather to improve a bit before heading out. I decided to check out the Boreas Ponds area in the Adirondacks. This area was recently acquired by New York State from the Nature Conservancy (total of 69000 acres) and part of the area is now a part of the High Peaks Wilderness Area (the rest has been designated as Wild Forest). The NYS DEC recently completed extensive work on the Gulf Brook Road that gives access to the ponds, or at least close to the ponds. The parking area is about a mile from the canoe put-in at the ponds, so if one wishes to canoe the ponds you'll have to carry or wheel your canoe to the put-in. I drove the parking area and then hiked along the old road to the canoe put-in at the ponds.

This is the northern end of LaBier Flow ... you can paddle this for about a half mile or so and then take your boat out and carry it about a half mile to Boreas.
20190914_150418_HDR.jpg

Some of the landscape along the way to the ponds ....
20190914_150830_HDR.jpg

The Boreas River as it heads towards the ponds ....
20190914_151709_HDR.jpg

Boreas Ponds from the canoe put-in & the bridge over the river ... if it were clear & sunny you'd be able to see the high peaks
20190914_151809_HDR.jpg

20190914_153339_HDR.jpg

20190914_153347_HDR.jpg

And this is a view of LaBier Flow from the southern end ... you can put your boat in here and paddle roughly a half mile to the take out & then carry another half mile to the ponds.
20190914_160132_HDR.jpg

So my "hike" (actually a road walk) was about 3 miles. Definitely an area we need to explore in the future!

My family and I loved Catamount - hiked it when the kids were around 10 years old. The rock scrambling and chimney (squeeze or whatever it's called) are lots of fun!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kwc A little more Adirondack wandering ... Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Even More Adirondack Wandering ... Hiking & Camping 0
kwc More Adirondack Paddling On The Water 3
kwc More Southern Adirondack Hiking Hiking & Camping 5
kwc One More Short Adirondack Hike ... Hiking & Camping 0
kwc More Adirondack Paddling ... On The Water 2
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing - Mason Lake On The Water 2
kwc Even More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 0
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 3
kwc one more Adirondack Canoe Day trip - Fall Lake Stream On The Water 2
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
balzaccom Trail Crews--one more time Backpacking 1
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
zionsky Snow, Snow and more Snow General Discussion 91
balzaccom More trail work! Backpacking 0
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
K North To Alaska - The Aleutians and More Everything Else 3
Rockskipper You have more impact than you may think General Discussion 2
J Moving down to Southern San Rafael Reef Wilderness for two more loop hikes April 13-14 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Windrivers - More Itching Backpacking 4
J More fine and aesthetic desert summits scrambles Dec. 1-3, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
balzaccom More Everest Trip Planning 4
Ugly Two More Local Fridays -or- Timp Two Ways Backpacking 9
TractorDoc Anybody Need Some New Pants? Read more if you are a 32 waist. . . Gear 2
Pianomover Trump administration Tuesday proposed allowing logging on more than half of Alaska’s 16.7 million-acre Tongass National Forest, the largest intact tem General Discussion 0
Outdoor_Fool More Fenn News General Discussion 0
zionsky More snow on the way? General Discussion 5
DrNed Are There Really More Wildfires Nowadays? General Discussion 7
ScienceMom Hello from Vegas! And anyone have advice for helping reluctant-hikers enjoy backpacking more? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 25
Ross Invite Cathedral Valley,Halls Creek.Happy canyon,Bisti,Caineville Mesa + more Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Perry One More Uintas Day Hike? Trip Planning 9
balzaccom The perfect campsite...or more Trip Planning 2
Langdon Greene More Than Just Parks series: #6 Zion NP Photography 4
TrektheWorld Planning a family trip to Utah (Park City + more!) Trip Planning 4
Cool Danish Southern Utah Expedition 2014 – Canyonlands, Sandstone and more. Hiking & Camping 16
steve The More We Explore - Video Trip Reports Backpacking 32
HomerJ Backpacker Mag: Get Out More Tour in SLC (3-26-15) General Discussion 0
Michael B There are more good place to backpack in Michigan than you'd think! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Bob Idaho Mapping GIS - Online Topos and more Resource Discussions 1
gnwatts Once more into Meander Canyon.... On The Water 11
J Apologize, but asking for more Death Hollow tips.... Trip Planning 23
DAA Canvas, more of... Photography 0
Nick Yellowstone: Canyon & More Geyser Goodness Hiking & Camping 5
beneathredrockscott All Southern Utah National Parks and More Photography 5
kwc Another Adirondack Hike Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Yet Another Adirondack Paddle On The Water 1
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Another day, another Adirondack paddle On The Water 1
kwc Yet another Adirondack paddle On The Water 1