Montana's Pintler Wilderness: Goat Flat and Mount Tiny

misSOULa

Onward and upward
With a forecast in the upper 90's last weekend in Missoula, I decided I had to get somewhere higher in elevation to cool off. So I decided to check out somewhere I haven't been before. With so many places within an hour's drive of Missoula, the Anaconda-Pintler wilderness hadn't yet really caught my attention. But with a buddy already down there, and knowledge of the area, it made for an easy choice. We spent the night at an area called Goat Flat, a high elevation bluff with fantastic views all around of not only peaks close by, but mountain ranges off in the distance. It was only about 3.5 miles to where we set up camp, so we opted for a side trip the first day to the top of Mount Tiny (9848 feet). The bugs were out in full force, even with a shirt on, my back now looks like I have chicken pox from all the skeeter bites. The next morning, we attempted to get to Kurt Peak (9961), however I hadn't read beforehand of the best route to get there, and after ditching the ridgeline with high exposure and technical climbing, and sketchy steep scree fields to try and bypass, we decided to save it for another time. All in all, a beautiful, however quickly becoming popular area. I also think my filming and editing skills are getting slowly but surely better.

Enjoy.

Click here to view on CalTopo

Very pretty area and video.

Good stuff. I just happened to stumble across this today, after doing both Kurt Peak and Mt Tiny on a dayhike last weekend. I, too, didn't do my homework and found that the ridge to access Kurt Peak was more technical than I was expecting. I did make the summit, although it was a little sketchy at times. The views up there right now are beautiful with all the larch changing colors. It is definitely a popular place, though, as I saw at least half dozen other groups of hikers ranging from 3 to 6 hikers each.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NorthwestWanderer Walking the top of Montana's CHINESE WALL | A Bob Marshall Trek Backpacking 14
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Jackson Quick day hike in the Montana Absarokas Hiking & Camping 13
Absarokanaut Flooding in Yellowstone National Park and Adjacent Areas of Montana Today June 13, 2022 General Discussion 82
NorthwestWanderer Montana Fall Colors Timelapse Film General Discussion 0
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
Jamesoutside life Looking for backpacking buddy montana aug/sept Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
IlVagabondo Montana Smoke General Discussion 14
J Off-Trail Routes in Montana or ID Trip Planning 10
NorthwestWanderer NORTHWEST | 4K Timelapse Film : Featuring Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming & Montana General Discussion 4
Mountain Wanderer Cedar Lakes Loop in Montana's Cabinet Mountains Wilderness Backpacking 4
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
GarrettM Attempted Summit of El Capitan - Montana, Bitterroot National Forrest Backpacking 7
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2
Mountain Wanderer Heart Lake, Montana Backpacking 6
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Gem lake and Trapper Peak Backpacking 1
Brian Handsaker Uintas Backpacking (or Montana) Trip Planning 9
Kootenai Hello, from Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Bass Creek Backpacking 1
misSOULa Backpacking Montana, Swan Range- Pyramid lake Backpacking 4
Kishenehn Montana mountains ... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 16
DrNed Floating Smith River in Montana Trip Planning 55
Bryan Harwood Backpacker/ Trails Worker from Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
MikeM Noob in Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
ogg Montana de Oro State Park, CA, 8-15 Backpacking 6
John Goering North Fork Indian Creek, Tobacco Root Mountains, Montana Backpacking 4
John Goering Greetings from SW Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
AustinCronnelly Floating the Smith River, Montana On The Water 13
Tyler Glacier National Park and Missoula, Montana May 2006 Hiking & Camping 5
Nick A Week in Montana General Discussion 7
randakag Anaconda-Pintler: Lake of the Isle?? Trip Planning 0
tomcat32 Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Little Rainbow Mountain Hiking & Camping 3
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 38
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
shredhiker Ansel Adams Wilderness October 2023 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
randakag Rawah Wilderness "Lollipop" Loop - September 2023 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
TheMountainRabbit Bob Marshall Wilderness - September 2023 Backpacking 8
marquiri Uncompahgre Wilderness Trip Planning 13
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
TheMountainRabbit Invite Bob Marshall Wilderness, September 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3