Montana de Oro State Park, CA, 8-15

ogg

At just under .5 miles, this overnight hike sort of flirts between the border of a long walk-in camp site and a really short backpack trip. Frankly, this is just about the finest campsite to be had along the southern California coast, unless perhaps solitude, quiet and lack of congestion bothers you.

I had the wonderful opportunity to enjoy some time here recently with my two daughters, 7 and 13, shortly before they started the new school year. My oldest was no stranger to backpacking, but for my youngest, this was to be her first remote camping trip carrying a pack. We all had a great time.

Montana de Oro SP has four such "Environmental SItes", which are walk in sites, well spaced apart and from any other use area, roughly .5 miles from any parking area and at which fires are not allowed. This particular site is #4, or "Deer Flat." It has the finest views.

IMG_0842-S.jpg

IMG_0849-S.jpg

IMG_0856-S.jpg

IMG_0869-S.jpg
IMG_0889-S.jpg

IMG_0899-S.jpg
IMG_0936-S.jpg

You're not kidding, that campsite is amazing. Especially when you get great sunset like that.

This is amazing!!! Have been researching this site and was wondering if the trail could accommodate an outdoor wheel chair. Would love to hear deatails about the .5 miles hike to take a friend. Thank you!!!

This is amazing!!! Have been researching this site and was wondering if the trail could accommodate an outdoor wheel chair. Would love to hear details about the .5 miles hike to take a friend. Thank you!!!

The trail to the campsite is mostly maintained fire road. There is a final short section that branches off from the main road/trail that is somewhat less maintained, but is nonetheless sufficient for a honey wagon to get to the outhouse. I have no experience with outdoor wheel chairs, but I can offer that I don't see the road surface quality being much of concern. However, there is a gradient to most sections of the route to camp. My mapping software tells me the route is a little over 2300 ft with a 70 ft elevation gain.

The trail to the campsite is mostly maintained fire road. There is a final short section that branches off from the main road/trail that is somewhat less maintained, but is nonetheless sufficient for a honey wagon to get to the outhouse. I have no experience with outdoor wheel chairs, but I can offer that I don't see the road surface quality being much of concern. However, there is a gradient to most sections of the route to camp. My mapping software tells me the route is a little over 2300 ft with a 70 ft elevation gain.

Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how valuable this information is to me!!! I Really appreciate it!!! !!!

What mapping software do you use? Unfortunately environmental site 4 is reserved the days I want to go and I wanted to research campsite 3. Did you by chance see 3? Heard the view isn't as great as 4.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
NorthwestWanderer Walking the top of Montana's CHINESE WALL | A Bob Marshall Trek Backpacking 14
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Jackson Quick day hike in the Montana Absarokas Hiking & Camping 13
Absarokanaut Flooding in Yellowstone National Park and Adjacent Areas of Montana Today June 13, 2022 General Discussion 82
NorthwestWanderer Montana Fall Colors Timelapse Film General Discussion 0
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
Jamesoutside life Looking for backpacking buddy montana aug/sept Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
IlVagabondo Montana Smoke General Discussion 14
J Off-Trail Routes in Montana or ID Trip Planning 10
NorthwestWanderer NORTHWEST | 4K Timelapse Film : Featuring Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming & Montana General Discussion 4
Mountain Wanderer Cedar Lakes Loop in Montana's Cabinet Mountains Wilderness Backpacking 4
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
GarrettM Attempted Summit of El Capitan - Montana, Bitterroot National Forrest Backpacking 7
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Big Creek Lakes and Ranger Point Backpacking 2
Mountain Wanderer Heart Lake, Montana Backpacking 6
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Gem lake and Trapper Peak Backpacking 1
Brian Handsaker Uintas Backpacking (or Montana) Trip Planning 9
misSOULa Montana's Pintler Wilderness: Goat Flat and Mount Tiny Backpacking 6
Kootenai Hello, from Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
misSOULa Montana's Bitterroot Mountains: Bass Creek Backpacking 1
misSOULa Backpacking Montana, Swan Range- Pyramid lake Backpacking 4
Kishenehn Montana mountains ... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 16
DrNed Floating Smith River in Montana Trip Planning 55
Bryan Harwood Backpacker/ Trails Worker from Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
MikeM Noob in Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 9
John Goering North Fork Indian Creek, Tobacco Root Mountains, Montana Backpacking 4
John Goering Greetings from SW Montana Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
AustinCronnelly Floating the Smith River, Montana On The Water 13
Tyler Glacier National Park and Missoula, Montana May 2006 Hiking & Camping 5
Nick A Week in Montana General Discussion 7
TractorDoc Mohican State Park -- July 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 11
kwc Hiking in Baxter State Park, Maine Hiking & Camping 4
Snow Wolf Hello From Washington State Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Rockskipper New Utah State Park General Discussion 0
napatony13 Four Day, Four State Petroglyph Tour Hiking & Camping 10
regehr funky salt formations near GSL State Park Trip Planning 1
Sweeg Savage Gulf State Natural Area Backpacking 14
Hiker Seth Short getaway to Baxter State Park Trip Reports 11
Rockskipper For Utah fans: Dalton Wells area could become ‘Utahraptor State Park’ General Discussion 1
BJett Savage Gulf State Natural Area Part 2 Hiking & Camping 1
BJett Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness/State Natural Area - Tennessee Backpacking 3
BJett Laurel-Snow State Natural Area - Tennessee Backpacking 1
BJett Savage Gulf State Natural Area - Tennessee Backpacking 8
stevecochranephotography Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada Hiking & Camping 0
blueeyes Vandalism in Snow Canyon State Park General Discussion 11
WasatchWill Cuyamaca Rancho State Park Hiking & Camping 2
WasatchWill A night at Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park Hiking & Camping 7
WasatchWill Winter at Utah Lake State Park Everything Else 5
Dave Smith Rock State Park, Oregon Hiking & Camping 2
Reef&Ruins Noober from Washington... the state Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2