Mirror Lake Highway - Crowds? Recommendation?

Janice

On Sunday morning, we're flying into SLC and hoping to do a half-day hike along Mirror Lake Hwy before heading to Evanston that night and then to the Winds the next day. Are trailheads on MLH still super crowded? (I remember earlier this year some of you commented on the crowds.) I know it's not good to be there on a Sunday, but I can't change that. Any specific recommendations for spots where we hopefully can find parking and enjoy a great hike? Thanks for any suggestions!

Jackson

I like to go outside.
On Sunday morning, we're flying into SLC and hoping to do a half-day hike along Mirror Lake Hwy before heading to Evanston that night and then to the Winds the next day. Are trailheads on MLH still super crowded? (I remember earlier this year some of you commented on the crowds.) I know it's not good to be there on a Sunday, but I can't change that. Any specific recommendations for spots where we hopefully can find parking and enjoy a great hike? Thanks for any suggestions!
They'll be crowded all summer, but that doesn't mean it won't be a great time! Sunday is when the weekend crowd is headed out, so it may be easier to get a spot in the late morning or early afternoon when people are starting to trickle out. My standard advice is to start at Crystal Lake trailhead and hike the loop around Clyde Lake. So much scenery packed into a pretty easy 4-5 miles. It's fun to go a little off the trail and see the Three Divide Lakes and other lakes up on that bench too if you've got time.

Other idea would be to start at the Bald Mountain trailhead and hike down to Dean, Notch, and Bench Lakes. Another easy trail with a lot packed into a few miles.

Both parking lots are large and will be pretty busy, but for some reason the trails never seem as busy as you'd think.

Last edited:

Janice

They'll be crowded all summer, but that doesn't mean it won't be a great time! Sunday is when the weekend crowd is headed out, so it may be easier to get a spot in the late morning or early afternoon when people are starting to trickle out. My standard advice is to start at Crystal Lake trailhead and hike the loop around Clyde Lake. So much scenery packed into a pretty easy 4-5 miles. It's fun to go a little off the trail and see the Three Divide Lakes and other lakes up on that bench too of you've got time.

Other idea would be to start at the Bald Mountain trailhead and hike down to Dean, Notch, and Bench Lakes. Another easy trail with a lot packed into a few miles.

Both parking lots are large and will be pretty busy, but for some reason the trails never seem as busy as you'd think.
This is so helpful - thank you very much!

Janice

@Jackson, thank you so much for your fabulous recommendation. We went to Crystal Lake trailhead and - after waiting for a big storm to pass - we hiked to Clyde Lake and nearby areas and had the trail mostly to ourselves. This was a perfect first day of our vacation!

IMG_5221.jpg
IMG_5232.jpg
IMG_5242.jpg

Jackson

I like to go outside.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Perry Dumb Question of the Day: Where is the northern gate on the Mirror Lake highway General Discussion 4
Perry Mirror Lake Highway Day Hike Suggestions Trip Planning 4
DrNed 2019 Highline Planning - Leidy to Mirror Lake Trip Planning 75
Perry Mirror Lake-Highline Loop Hiking & Camping 0
Parma Highline Trail, Whiterocks to Mirror Lake Hwy Backpacking 33
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
TheMountainRabbit Lamar River, Mirror Plateau, and Pelican Valley (Yellowstone NP) - mid-September 2020 Backpacking 28
scatman Mirror Plateau and the Lamar River Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 7, 2016 Backpacking 34
scatman Invite Mirror Plateau - Upper Lamar River - Hoodoo Basin - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 27
Jackson Hollow Top Lake Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake, Ouzel Creek, and Three Rivers Junction -- September 13-16 2021 Backpacking 61
TrektheWorld Crater Lake and Lone Eagle Peak Backpacking 1
randakag Anaconda-Pintler: Lake of the Isle?? Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Off Trail to Yellowstone's Aster Lake and Upper Witch Creek -- September 13, 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
Bob Wind Rivers - Lee Lake Loop Backpacking 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
A Wind Rivers: Clear Lake, Faler Lake and Roaring Fork General Discussion 3
balzaccom Gibbs Lake, High Sierra Backpacking 2
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 50
kwc Short jaunt to Broomstick Lake, southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 Pine River, Lake Creek, Flint Creek Loop San Juan. 7/3-7/5 Backpacking 6
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior, June 2021 On The Water 4
JuddOutdoors Hike To Grass Lake //Desolation Wilderness //Lake Tahoe Basin Hiking & Camping 0
SirDonB Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail Hiking & Camping 0
Tim Valentine Market Lake Idaho: Birds Photography 3
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
kwc Winter Hike into Broomstick Lake 1/13/21 Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Jockeybush Lake in the Winter Hiking & Camping 8
D Coyote Gulch to Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
Tomaswmitchell Cuberant Lake hike, Bigfoot tracks? Video Hiking & Camping 2
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Heart Lake -- September 14-17 2020 Backpacking 32
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
Perry Teal Lake Lollipop Over Night Trip Backpacking 21
kwc Murphy Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
Titans Pharaoh Lake Wilderness- some much needed Vitamin W Hiking & Camping 5
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 33
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Okanogan National Forest : Copper Glance Lake & failed attempt at No Dice Lake Backpacking 2
Curt Visiting (Part of) the Lake District of Cloud Peak Wilderness Backpacking 15
scatman Bourbon Lake, Uintas - July 11, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer Overnight Backpack to Louis Lake, Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Backpacking 4
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
Perry Last Minute Over Nighter to Packard Lake Backpacking 13
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7