Milky way photo settings

The differences of the colors between slc_dan's and Laura's Milky Way pictures is the result of the different systems?
I'm on APS-C like Dan and my results of milky way are very similar.

Gesendet von iPad mit CrapaTalk

The differences of the colors between slc_dan's and Laura's Milky Way pictures is the result of the different systems?

The color differences are likely related to settings used like white balance and how they were processed rather than the size of the sensor.

Thanks for clarifying, Nick.

I was thinking of buying the Rokinon 14mm 2.8 lens for milky way shots and after seeing your photo ordered it. It was a big debate as it didn't sound like the best lens for anything else. Have a question. I almost always leave picture style set at faithful (6D). What do you use for milky way and star trails with this lens? Any other pointers in regards to settings?

I don't use picture styles. I shoot in RAW (picture styles don't effect the RAW file) and process the image in Adobe Camera RAW/Photoshop.

The color differences are likely related to settings used like white balance and how they were processed rather than the size of the sensor.

Yep, the white balance you choose will have the most effect on the color of your Milky Way shots.

Good feedback, thanks. For me, shallow DOF in a very wide angle was my main goal (not that an f 2.8 gives me a much shallower DOF). I think i'm going to dig this lens for video work.

I bet. I'd definitely choose it over it's competitors for your purposes.

Thank you, Randy.
If I remember me right WB was in auto mode.
Here at home I don't have really a chance train my skills. To much light pollution around me.

You can easily see how WB effects one of your existing milky way shots by just changing it in your editing software, assuming it is a raw file. This is a crop of an otherwise untouched raw file with only the white balance adjusted at three different settings. Personally, I usually like the 4000-5500k range the most for night skies. I think 'daylight' is around 5200k on most cameras.

4286.jpg

5322.jpg

6367.jpg

Many thanks, that will help me. ☺️
I shoot in Jpg and Raw.
I've to brush up my post-processing skills in PS or LR too.

Is that one of the JPEG picture styles? I'm not familiar with using those. I usually shoot in RAW and white balance to Daylight for night shots.

Yep, I shoot jpeg + RAW with the hopes of no editing. Reading some sites about shooting the milky way it seems some set white balance to tungsten as it keeps the brown down. Since I haven't tried it, have no idea if that's actually true. I expect for these shots my jpeg's will simply take up space on the SD card but who knows. Nights here the wind-chill have been -10 to -35 so won't be experimenting in the near future.

you need to adjust your white balance at night. Get rid of the auto white balance, because you will end up with way too warm and yellowish colors. I set my white balance manually to preserve the blue sky.
And the type of light used for the light painting of the foreground also adds to some of the colors.

I have the Rokinon 16mm 2.0. A bit faster but not quite as wide. I like speed :)

Just got my Rokinon 14mm f2.8. I didn't realize it was fully manual aperture and focus. Should be fine for night stuff though. Feels like a solid lens. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Just got my Rokinon 14mm f2.8. I didn't realize it was fully manual aperture and focus. Should be fine for night stuff though. Feels like a solid lens. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

I prefer manual controls for night photos.

Here's the tryout of my only one from 2014, w/ light pollution of Escalante.
Lens 12/24 4. Rule of 600 on crop. WB: daylight. Noise reduction off.
Postprocessing in Bridge w/ Nick's hint.

MW_RT_sm.jpg

A shot with the Rokinon 14mm 2.8 from over the weekend. I should have done a different comp as the distortion made things look a bit whacky, but overall, I'm pleased, especially since I didn't work on it much. The crispness of the stars is definitely a great improvement. Looking forward to when the milky way becomes a bit more defined later in the year. Light painting courtesy of flaming tumbleweed.

IMG_7420.jpg