Mile Mile and a Half

Anyone seen this film? My wife and I bought it and watched it a few weeks ago. If this film doesn't get you excited to go backpacking, I don't know what will. Very entertaining film with stunning photography. I highly recommend it.

Mile mile and a half documents a group of people who hiked the John Muir trail during a record snowpack year. They made a documentary about it.

http://themuirproject.com/mmah/film/

I found this thread looking up info and/or reports from any other BCP'ers after just watching @Jammer's JMT vids. I'd never heard of this doc either, but for a professional style documentary, it does look interesting enough. Perhaps it's because I feel like I'm trying to catch up on adventures of my own and make up for lost time since reawakening and re-developing my passion for the outdoors last year and when I can't be out myself, it can be enjoyable to vicariously hike and experience trails and adventures through docs like this.

I was thinking about buying/renting this and was kind of blow away that it's nearly 90 minutes long. What in the world do they talk about for 90 minutes?!? The trailer doesn't really allude to the plot, do they actually follow someone's journey or is it just a bunch of random shots along the trail?

I found that watching this amateur doc on YouTube was 90 minutes well-spent. It can't be viewed through mobile devices though since it contains lots of copyrighted music. It's actually one I just stumbled upon while surfing YouTube and now has me committed now to make a serious attempt to plan a full JMT hike in 2015 and search out other's vids and reports to compile additional info.

After viewing this one and then most recently Jammer's, I thought them to be the better of the several YT vids I've watched in between so far on the JMT. Gotta love Jammer's style and humor. Had I gotten to his 2 parter first, those would have been enough as well to get me committed to the JMT. I also like the strategy in both trips documented in these vids to go northward rather than the traditional southward route. Start with Whitney at the beginning and get the higher elevations over with first, then finish off with a jaunt up Half-Dome at the end.

Another good video is this one about a guy who fast-packed it in 5 days! This includes a weather delay in getting up Whitney!
I think this guy could make even Andrew Skurka look slow!

If I don't ever get to a point where I can afford the time and expense to do the full PCT in my lifetime, it's looking like the JMT is the crown section of the PCT worth doing to experience at least a part of the PCT.

Just giving this a bump because ironically, as I was starting on River of No Return on Netflix tonight, also mentioned in this thread, I was surprised to find that, when looking at the suggested similar titles, Mile Mile and a Half is now up and available on Netflix. I'm not sure when it went up, but for those haven't seen it or want to see it again, its available there now. I'm still blown away by the brother/sister duo that haul up the painting supplies who were highlighted for a few moments in the movie, never mind all the extra equipment and other weighty items brought along by the crew to make their movie and make their time on the trail, more enjoyable. Still, I agree with @steve that it's a well done production that can get you psyched up for any big (or little) backpacking adventure.

Oh, and while I posted up above that I was going to aim to do the JMT myself this year, I'm changing that to the next 5-10+ years. I think I'd rather wait for a time where I can either take my wife and/or even some of my children and that wouldn't be for a number of years yet. Given the competition for permits and the travel it takes to get there, it would probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

(Edited to add italics)

I wholeheartedly recommend Mile, Mile and a Half. The group filming was fairly entertaining, but even if you hated them it would be worth watching on mute for the absolutely amazing video and photos of the scenery. They are artists (filmmakers, photographers) who are hiking, not hikers filming with a GoPro...it's really quite stunning.

It's been on Netflix for a while. I know I watched it last summer sometime.

Seriously? That must have happened right after I paid to rent it off Amazon after checking Netflix first. Shows how often I dig deep into Netflix. It gets far more use by my kids, so the suggested titles that show up on the surface are almost always targeted at them.

Mile, Mile and a Half is great. Even if some of the group are a little annoying, the cinematography, editing and soundtrack are excellent. This is my favorite JMT video trip report though, with a wicked rock soundtrack! ;) And i'm faxing in for a JMT permit next week, fingers crossed!

I only made it as far as getting their first Text message. Turned it off. Perhaps I'll try again.

I wasn't that into Mile, Mile and a half either. I guess my expextations for heir cinemetography and video was too high. The most interesting thing about it imo were the siblings who carried all of their painting equipment out there to paint, and the 2 guys who brought their instruments out there to be inspired.

Watched another long PCT/JMT earlier in the week. Pretty cool that this guy, John, spontaneously bumps into most of the cast/crew of Mile, Mile & a Half while checking into Muir Trail Ranch along the JMT. Happens closer to the end. More impressive though, is some of the shots John captures with a Servo rig he packed along.