Micro Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

This thread is for mini trip reports that don't quite have the detail or pictures for the "trip reports" section. A mini trip report is better than no trip report, right?

Last edited:
Last night Unimog, my dog Fender, and I went snowsheoing up AF Canyon. We parked at Pine Hollow trailhead, headed for the summit parking lot.

We hit the trail around 6 PM. There was about an inch of snow on the pavement in the parking lot. We started with our snowshoes on, though we would have been fine with Yak Tracks for the first 1/2 mile. We were moving along pretty quickly (or else I am REALLY out of shape). Either way, we were breathing heavy the entire trip. It was surprisingly warm up there. I'd guess 40* when we started. I didn't need a beanie or gloves the entire time.

After lots of heavy breathing, we made it up to the first meadow, 1.5 miles later. We continued .5 miles on up to the second meadow. Up to this point, we were following other snowshoers' tracks. After the second meadow, we followed some xc ski tracks. Somebody before us had put some SERIOUS miles beneath their skis.

Towards the top, there was a little bit of fog that would freeze to the branches, making these really cool ice crystals.

IMG_20140130_200146_517.jpg

IMG_20140130_200154_343.jpg

IMG_20140130_200206_992.jpg

About 20 minutes later, we arrived at the summit parking lot.

IMG_20140130_200759_166.jpg

IMG_20140130_200845_068.jpg

We had planned on taking trail 159 down to timpanookie, but the skiiers hadn't been there, and we didn't feel like breaking trail (and I've never done this loop in the snow before). So we just backtracked back to the car. It's amazing how much faster you can go when it's downhill. It got chilly quick, and we found ourselves in the middle of a cloud towards the top. It was pretty cool. We got back to the car at 9:37 PM.

Eric is a beast, I was definitely holding him back. It was a great trip.

Details:
Distance: 6.31 mi
Total Time: 3:37:38
Speed: 1.7 mph
Pace: 34:29 / mi
Elevation Gain: 1720 ft
Elevation loss: 1720 ft

Link to GPS tracks

Thanks for posting this, Steve!

I got to thinking last night that 6 miles in snowshoes is like 10-12 on foot, so I'm delighted. Just need to find more evenings free - would have liked to have helped out the group working on so ut land use also. Same old not enough time to do everything.

Feel free to move it to wherever it belongs! It was just a few hours and a handful of photos. If you move it, I can even add a few photos of the surrounding area.

Took the fam for a little snowshoeing at Jordan Pines up Big Cottonwood Canyon today. We were still seeing rain at the s-curve, but the snow was pouring at the trail head with maybe 10" of fresh.

The kids are just getting the hang of it and were done after about an hour, so we didn't make it to the falls. Plenty of fun though. We should've thrown a tube in for the sledding hill!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391924987.581143.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391925001.581187.jpg

Nice. Funny that it was dumping so hard just that far up, yet at my house not far from the bottom of the canyon, it just rained and rained. My yard is a giant ice rink now.

Very cool, Steve. That looks like it was an amazing trip. You do a fantastic job with your videos. I like your documentary style, I can only imagine it getting better with your new camera. I find it difficult to invest the time and energy in shooting and editing, but results like this are priceless. Well done.

Thanks, that means a lot. My videos are slowly getting better. That one was shot entirely with my GoPro and my 5 year old hand held sony handycam for the interviews.

I'm not going to lie, bringing the gear, planning the shots, going back to get the camera, and editing is a pain and takes away from some of the fun from the trip. However, being able to look back and remember exactly how the trip was makes it all worth it.

I have the toughest time remembering to do the documentary style interviews in the middle of the trip. I had over 10 hours of footage for this 20 min video. I realize 20 min is super long to hold anyone's attention, but we made that one more for ourselves than anyone else.

I took a lot of video with my EOS M on our past trip to the Maze. Hopefully the video turns out well. I'll start editing that one soon.

Last edited:
Here's a video we made of a recent road trip to southern Utah. We took our sports cars and tried to cover as many scenic byways as possibly in a day and a half. We needed a break from driving and decided to hiked around in Bryce Canyon for a bit. I can't wait to get back.

Last edited:
Took the dogs upto cutler marsh for some bird watching today. Birds were rather lacking in presence, but it was an interesting visit none the less.
Screen%20Shot%202014-05-04%20at%209.45.06%20PM.png

We were greeted by this snake at the marina parking lot.

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-04%20at%209.52.35%20PM.png

It wasn't rainbow, but saw some colors in the sky. Not sure what that was all about, but cool.

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-04%20at%209.46.59%20PM.png

The river was full of huge carps, they would be in groups of few in shallow water. Here's one such carp swimming away.

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-04%20at%209.47.19%20PM.png

Dogs did pretty well, Hope was excited by all the carp activity but we held her on check. We didn't see much bird activity at all but we didn't paddle a lot as well. Since we drove all the way there already, went to logan canyon and short hike around. Fished for a while in third dam area and got one brown trout on a midge fly. Dogs were getting anxious, hungry, so started the drive back.

It wasn't until I reached home after 1.5hrs drive that I realized the phone was missing. Then the dreaded realization I probably lost it on side of Hwy 89 in Logan where I had stopped to check on canoe straps. Android device manager confirmed my suspicion and I decided to drive another 100 mile round trip for the phone. Good thing the phone was lying there on the side of the road as expected. All in all, it was a pretty eventful and tiring Sunday.

Awesome. I'm going to have to explore that area. Some day I'll have to team up with you so my dog can learn from your dogs and stop freaking out on the water.

Hiking up AF Canyon. 5.17.14. We knocked out 10.5 miles. Wish we could have done the entire loop, but I think we would have hit snow. I'll try it again soon.

Despite this sign being at the beginning of all singletrack trailheads, we still saw horses and dirt bikes up there. I have no problem sharing the trail with bikers, motorcycles, and horses when they're allowed, but it's a black eye on their sport when they ignore the signs and decide to run it anyway. They just need to wait a couple weeks for the trails to dry out. One equestrian we talked to said "hey, I paid my $45 at the gate, I should be allowed to ride up here. If a ranger comes, I'll just tell him I didn't know." Awesome. Way to go man.

IMG_20140517_143543_176.jpg

IMG_20140517_143537_432.jpg

We took 41 on up to mill canyon spring.

IMG_20140517_090339_555.jpg

It was pretty, but not as pretty as it'll be in a month. The trees are still asleep and their leaves haven't come back yet.

My phone takes awesome pics that are always in focus. Who needs a DSLR when you can get images like this out of your phone?

IMG_20140517_092116_742.jpg

IMG_20140517_092433_410.jpg

Lisa and Tess watching a butterfly

IMG_20140517_100147_641.jpg

Running in to the first of the snow on the switchbacks on trail 41. There were several downed tress which kept the motos and horses back.

IMG_20140517_100601_929.jpg

IMG_20140517_104955_387.jpg

Finally reaching the top of the switchbacks.

IMG_20140517_113431_461.jpg

To Mill Canyon Spring.

1400349070653.jpg

The back side of Mt. Timpanogos on the left.

IMG_20140517_115652_437.jpg

IMG_20140517_122418_359.jpg

Along the ridge we could see back into Provo Peak.

IMG_20140517_124224_385.jpg

It was a good hike. Unfortunately we weren't able to do the loop we intended, but it was good nonetheless. I'll be going back for revenge soon, before there are too many dirt bikes and horses and mt bikes there.

Last edited:
This weekend I took my mom for her first backpacking trip in her life. She grew up car camping as a kid, but she'd never camped outside a developed campground. I found the perfect spot to take her. Some will recognize this location, but I'd rather not broadcast where it is so it doesn't get crowded.

Tess and I have been bit by the ultralight bug. My pack weight for this overnighter was 7.4 lbs. Not bad! That includes backpack, 1 L of water, tent for 4, sleeping pad, pillow, bag, cook pot, stove, fuel canister, clothing, and 1st aid/other essentials. Tess carried our food, and although we didn't weigh it, it was probably even lighter than my pack.

IMG_2269.JPG

We did a short hike with our stuff and arrived at camp to set up before dark. We decided to try the HMG Ultamid4 for all of us (which turned out to be the perfect choice).

IMG_2275.JPG

Mom was a trooper. She didn't have any lightweight gear, but her pack was still under 20 lbs since it was a short overnighter.

IMG_2277.JPG

can't beat the scenery.

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

We were all set up for bed. My younger brother, who joined us, brought his hammock. We put a space out for him in the tent in case it started to rain or if he got cold. Plenty of room for 4 + a dog.

IMG_2305.JP

Tess got a fire going while I prepped dinner.

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2314.JPG

We had a good meal of spud bombs and rice and chicken. We chatted around the fire for a few hours then headed off to bed.

When I first heard about pyramid tents without a floor, I was worried about bugs, snakes, etc crawling into my bag. After zipping in to my bag, that was no longer a worry. I absolutely love this shelter. You'll be seeing a review of it soon.

About 2 AM we awoke to a pack of coyotes howling with the pups yipping. That was enough to send my brother running into our shelter. After that, we slept soundly and woke up to a beautiful morning.

IMG_2320%2520Stitch.jpg

IMG_2326%2520Stitch.jpg

We all slept great, except for fender when he would sneak out at night to go exploring.

IMG_2333.jpg

We spotted 3 female elk early in the morning. (I think they're elk, I'm terrible at IDing animals).

IMG_2334.JPG

Then we headed back to the car and in to town for some breakfast.

IMG_2336.JPG

It was really special being able to share my passion with my mom. She really enjoyed it, and we're already planning our next trip. There's something special about sharing the outdoors with people you love.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.