Meet the woman who knows Bears Ears best

I think the guide can be a "weapon" in the fight for re-designation that will come with the political shift to the left the xenophobic folks are unwittingly facilitating. Hopefully the courts can put the disenfranchisement of more than 300,000,000 Americans that own each and every acre of Federl Land in equal measure on hold long enough.

Yes, the ongoing campaign of claiming moral superiority in every debate while painting all opposing points of view in the most divisive of terms is one that is surely winning over the hearts and minds of those of us who aren't already as enlightened as our progressive countrymen. No doubt a landslide shift to the left is on its way circa 2018/2020... :twothumbs:

- Xenophobe and all around -ist

Gag. And gag

The CMC post on Facebook (only reason I even saw the book release info) made sure to point out that all hikes are still within the reduced monument boundaries and accessible with a proper permit.

I was sort of surprised CMC published this given their catalog is almost entirely Colorado specific, but I did see a couple out of state hike books.
If your entire guidebook encompasses less than a fifth of the original monument, it sure seems unlikely that you're the "woman who knows bears ears best"

geez Bob, don't you ever have any thing else to say.
I bite my tongue......don't want to offend or get people excited.... Besides I don't like commenting on political things much..... Opinions are never changed.... I've been around long enough to see tides ebb and flow

I guess maybe most of the hikes are available online ! I heard through the grapevine that the publisher refused the local non profit group "Friends of Cedar Mesa" to see a draft copy to check for errors (or sensitive archaeological sites) . I don't want to buy the book either, but I AM curious !

I guess maybe most of the hikes are available online ! I heard through the grapevine that the publisher refused the local non profit group "Friends of Cedar Mesa" to see a draft copy to check for errors (or sensitive archaeological sites) . I don't want to buy the book either, but I AM curious !
There is some disagreement within the conservation world about how, uh, on the up and up FOCM is, so there's that.

Pardon me for the unequivocal notion that there is no "conservative" without conservation. If valuing conservation sanity and the opinions of majorities over deceitful special interests makes me "morally superior" that's your problem, not mine. Veracity can be a you know what sometimes.

Hehe ..... Google desert news article friends of cedar Mesa $10000 secret hike ..... A questionable fundraiser. And they have a lot of 'ruin' maps on the internet.

Some 'preserve this ' groups aren't what they appear to be. Some are private interests wanting a private area

I just want to say that it's all messy. All special interest groups have their "nuances"and its our job to stay up to date on them. It's all politics and it's all just social science (psych, socio, etc) Like there are times we benefit from horrible policy but it also happens every other way, so its just personal lines we want to cross. idk, felt like i needed to sort of chime in with that disclaimer. its all discussion for what we believe in.

I just checked Amazon, and the book is in the 375,000 range, which means it's only sold a few copies, maybe less than five or 10. For it to already be out of stock seems kind of strange.

ETA: I just ran the numbers and a 375,000 rank equals eight sales per month.

Last edited:
That's the thing I saw..... Was a article in desert news online

moved

Last edited:
My copy arrived today. (I'd pre-ordered it. Have to admit I have a ridiculous guidebook collection and just had to add this one.) Haven't really looked at it much yet, but it's a nice pocket-size, lots of pics, and I noticed several comments about how hikers should be aware of various things such as not picking up potsherds, etc. There are several pics of the author in action on the trail, which quite honestly made me roll my eyes (if I haven't mentioned it, I am definitely not part of the selfie generation), although it does fit in with her social media brand.

Pic of the TOC is attached for anyone interested. Also a "Respect Bears Ears" listing, which is the usual info about how to be a good traveler upon/steward of the land. eta: I'm happy to add pics of an actual hike description, including map, if anyone's interested.

Bears Ears Hikes TOC.jpg Respect Bears Ears pages.jpg

Last edited:
Like Bob, I was surprised that there weren't more things that I wasn't well aware of in the listIng.