Meander Canyon 3-24-18

gnwatts

'He who hears the rippling of rivers in these degenerate days will not utterly despair.'

Thoreau was right.

So my 10th journey down this stretch of water begins. Our 1st trip in Sept. 2006 ( https://backcountrypost.com/threads/colorado-river-2006.4854/#post-57303 )
2006:

I0000bzHutRPAtTc.jpg

My cousin from San Diego had mentioned he wanted to go on a river trip, so I had a partner on this trip. Mike had never been on a river so I thought it would be fun to show him my favorite place.
I knew I would have to work out some "canoe control" issues on this trip, as Mike is 220lbs. I am 155, and we had a ton of stuff, none of which we would do without. I would use a 60lb sandbag I had placing it under my seat in the stern, so the weight on my end would match his weight in the bow. With either end balanced, I got most of the weight on my side of center of the boat. With all of the light stuff strapped to the top, I was satisfied that It was not top heavy, and the boat would be balanced. My boat has excellent secondary stability (how the boat behaves when it is tilted) which means it's very good on a more choppy surface with wind. So I felt good about that.

We met at my house in Carbondale a day early, bought everything we would need for the next 5 days. It rained all day, complicating the loading. We left at 4am, floating at 10.
I forgot the sand bag of course.
We could not rearrange anything, as all of our stuff fit just right. Some rocks helped. So the stern was going to be 40lbs heavier than the bow. I was not very happy at that moment.

I had gone over with Mike how being in a canoe works, and what needed to happen to get down the river, in wind particularly. His biggest issue over the course of the trip was his difficulty in not being in control. It is a simple concept: he is the motor and I drive. You can't have 2 people driving, that's a fact.
The immediate problem encountered on the water was the boat, as expected, behaved poorly in the wind, in both head and tail wind. This was going to be a nerve wracking few days. The last thing I wanted was to get blown out into the middle of the river in 30 mph winds. In wind I like to hug the edge, in the eddy where there are fewer waves. Route finding was going to be tough due to lower water levels. Getting out of the boat and standing in cold water pulling on a rope sucks.

I0000qQQukqq8how.jpg

We were on the river! It was fun watching Mike take the whole thing in, grinning from ear to ear. Slowing way down, leave the rat race behind. We don't have to be anywhere, at any time. A beautiful concept that is hard to accept sometimes.

I0000ASt7moPfVQw.jpg

I0000zG0S1dWOlks.jpg

I loved my Jolly Rodger/Sea Shepard flag. I think I will retire it though.

We made it 17 miles the first day, which we were happy with. Because the water was so low (3000 cfs) we could camp on sand bars. And we found a beautiful one:

I0000wyE7aL_aykg.jpg

I0000Mo_qKdrni70.jpg

I00007jS2a3TCQ7o.jpg

We only needed to go 3 miles the second day, as we wanted to camp at Little Bridge Canyon, which I had stayed at in October (https://backcountrypost.com/threads/mosey-down-the-colorado.7142/ ). I had shown Mike some pictures of the camp spot and he said without doubt we were to camp there. Perfect, 3 easy morning miles and we would be there by noon at the latest. Good afternoon hike up Little Bridge. We had no idea it would take us all day to get that 3 miles. I won't bore you with the details, suffice it to say we had a lot of down time.
Wind:

I0000QXjL.azrtIo.jpg

Little Bridge Canyon:

I0000SVITKUHSMNg.jpg

I0000xYVqRc.Cfpc.jpg

I0000Jw0BQDke3fE.jpg

Some places make me just sit down and think, not about how messed up everything is, but how we can revel in what is good. This place was good.
Mike and I had agreed to not talk politics. He is a Trump supporter. I am not (Any Functioning Adult 2020). But we were true to our word and did not talk politics once.

I0000GGRbFs916Ew.jpg

We had a couple of hours the next morning for a quick hike up the canyon, I went a little farther than last year, but not by much.

I0000RFr3somc4GY.jpg

I0000VRgiCB21cbA.jpg

We left around 11am, spectacular weather, little wind, and ended up staying in a pretty boring camp, it was getting late so we had to stop. Did not get out my camera.
The other thing Mike said he definitely wanted to do was camp at the confluence with the Green, about 13 miles away.
On our way to the confluence, a rest stop around the first bend of the loop. The trail that crosses the loop is at that notch in the distance:

I0000BrXdkVV7gRk.jpg

Looking upriver:

I0000fk_JRIkQlQo.jpg

I0000RSXwNkxOM3Q.jpg

Our camp at the confluence. When we reached it I knew we would not be able to get picked up there, very shallow approach. We packed up the next morning and floated down to Spanish Bottom, and waited for the jet boat. My cousin went back to San Diego, me back to Carbondale. We spent a whole canoe trip together, and did not talk politics. Unthinkable.

As an aside, we saw no one after the first day.

The Green (entering on the left) joining the Colorado:

I00009i6islc8WZg.jpg

Last edited:
What a beautiful trip report! The black and whites are exceptionally inspiring. I am the flag has a meaning that I don't know, but I like it regardless!

Nice TR....thanks.

It seems you paddle the Colorado for most of your Canyonlands adventures. Do you prefer it over the Green River?

I've never paddled the Colorado, just jet-boat rides back to Potash after the GR. Any advice for the uninformed?

Thanks,

Nate

I have had difficulty finding camp spots in Stillwater Canyon, as I have found most people choose to float the Green. Labyrinth is less crowded than Stillwater, but you have to deal with the whole self shuttling thing. I like the Colorado, I can take my time if desired, as they will pick you up anywhere between Potash and Spanish Bottom. The Colorado has more sand bars in the summer and fall, more opportunities to camp.
The jet boats aren't that bad on the Colorado, they pass by you twice a day and they are gone.
This is my experience, others may have had different experiences.

I have had difficulty finding camp spots in Stillwater Canyon, as I have found most people choose to float the Green. Labyrinth is less crowded than Stillwater, but you have to deal with the whole self shuttling thing. I like the Colorado, I can take my time if desired, as they will pick you up anywhere between Potash and Spanish Bottom. The Colorado has more sand bars in the summer and fall, more opportunities to camp.
The jet boats aren't that bad on the Colorado, they pass by you twice a day and they are gone.
This is my experience, others may have had different experiences.
Thanks for the info...

Have you done trips in mid-May? How is the water level and the bug situation?

I'm considering blowing off my plans to attend Overland Expo next month and doing Meander instead.

Awesome, loved it! Great pics, as always. We are going to have to add something like this to our bucket list. You really find out who has control issues when you kayak together (one guide Stan and I rented from called them "Divorce boats"). And to get through the whole trip with a Schlumpf supporter, that takes some serious discipline! I'm with you-Any Functioning Adult 2020.

It's a very beautiful trip report. Thank you. I'm unsure of exactly where Meander Canyon is?

Really enjoyed reading this Greg. Paddling this section is one of the most memorable things I’ve ever done.

It's a very beautiful trip report. Thank you. I'm unsure of exactly where Meander Canyon is?

The others can correct me if my points are wrong but it’s the section of the Colorado putting in at Potash near Moab and ending at Spanish Bottom about 3 miles past the confluence with the Green River. About 52 Miles in total.

Last edited:
Awesome, loved it! Great pics, as always. We are going to have to add something like this to our bucket list. You really find out who has control issues when you kayak together (one guide Stan and I rented from called them "Divorce boats"). And to get through the whole trip with a Schlumpf supporter, that takes some serious discipline! I'm with you-Any Functioning Adult 2020.

Divorce boat! I can see how that can happen.
I believe rivers have the capacity to change people. I know I am changed after each trip. Maybe Mike brought something back that will be helpful for him.

What a beautiful trip report! The black and whites are exceptionally inspiring. I am the flag has a meaning that I don't know, but I like it regardless!

Thanks @Miya
This flag is a adaption of the "Jolly Rodger" flag. The origin of the name Jolly Rodger is unclear.
The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, from their web site:

"Our mission is to end the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in the world's oceans in order to conserve and protect ecosystems and species."

http://seashepherd.unitee.com.au/about-sea-shepherd

Thanks for sharing this great trip! I'm considering doing something similar at the end of this coming August with my family (3 kids 8-12 and two adults). Seems to be a much more straightforward trip vs. floats on the Green given the flexibility of pickup. My only concern is about the jet boat traffic from Moab (e.g., going to Cataract Canyon). Not sure whether you did the trip during the late August time frame, but if so can you comment on what how many jet boats might come through on a typical day in that period? I'm hoping that a relatively low water level would mean less traffic. thanks for your help

The only jet boats are for pickup of boaters at Spanish Bottom, mainly from Tex's. I have seen from time to time large rafts with motors going to Cataract, but they are past you pretty quick, or if they have no motor we pass them pretty quick. We have done a number of trips in late August or early September, and we usually have the river to ourselves. I would call Tex's, they would be able to answer any questions, and maybe let you know when they have jet boat pickups scheduled.