Mary Mountain Trail - Yellowstone - 8/11/19

"A little Scatman whispering sets him straight and allows us to pass."

I think the Scatster changed that from whimpering to whispering...not sayin', just sayin'... :)

@Rockskipper you're back! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Have you been on a slow mule to China? Without your presence and schoolmaster sense of right and wrong, this forum has gone to hell! :)

Whimpering! Whimpering you say. I'l have you know that there is no such word in the Scatman vernacular. That bull was shaking in its boots when he saw the Scat and his kilt approaching. With the faithful @Artemus and crew by my side, it didn't stand a chance. :lol:

Now if you want to talk about whimpering - oops, I mean indecision, then wait for the story about the Grizzly Bear passing through my campsite on my canoe trip.

Last edited:
I'm out in the hinterlands and usually can't post, but something said I needed to come to town and set the record straight. :cool: Hey, what happened to the dancing emoji???

Can't wait for the grizz tale...I mean story... :)

I'm out in the hinterlands and usually can't post, but something said I needed to come to town and set the record straight. :cool: Hey, what happened to the dancing emoji???

Can't wait for the grizz tale...I mean story... :)

Define hinterlands. I guess they upgraded the emojis and some didn't make the cut. I really need the old man one back. :thumbsup:

Oh, it will be a tall tale for sure.

Hinterlands = anyplace w/o an espresso shop. :)

Actually, I've been up in the Flattops in Colorado. Hurry with the bear tale before I have to go back out. I love bear tales, especially over beer.

Yet another reason people are supposed to be using the light theme with the white background...

Must've got old and died? ;) But really, we upgraded the emoji set and there was no old man, and other one didn't work very well on the dark background so I didn't copy it over.

The old stagecoach road that heads east up to Mary Lake from the meadows along Nez Perce Creek was to steep for the stagecoach to make it, so they had the passengers get out and walk the grade. On one trip, a Congressman was on board and when he was walking up the hill, he had a heart attack and died. This didn't please Congress, and they drastically cut funding for the Park because of it.
What years you talking? And was it a congresswoman or a congressman. Oh yea, that's right they didn't do that back then.

Yes, it's simple. I just whispered, "Are you going to let us pass big fellow." :) It sounds like you did everything right in your encounter with the two Bison along the trail in Sentinel Meadows. I believe the Park Service regulations is a distance of 25 yards.

I've had numerous encounters with Bison over the years in Yellowstone and have learned that if I leave them alone, they leave me alone. Recognizing when one might be agitated is helpful too. If you see one lift its tail and you are in the vicinity, it is letting you know that it takes exception to your presence and it is best to give it plenty of room. I've had to make my way through herds occasionally over the years too. Once, on my first Mary Mountain hike, there was a large herd at the west end of Hayden Valley I had to negotiate. A second herd was encountered when I did my hike along the Old Fountain Trail that crosses the Madison Plateau. I've found that cows and calves tend to get out of your way as you pass. Bulls, are another story, particularly if they are in the rut. My son and I had a lone bull get after us on the Wapiti Lake Trail as we were returning to the trailhead at Canyon a few years ago. At the same trailhead on another trip, my family was getting ready to head into the backcountry for a couple nights at Ribbon Lake when two bulls suddenly appeared, getting after one another. One of the bulls disengaged from the other and essentially came after us, leading us to maneuver around the vehicles in the lot by the trailhead. It is all just part of hiking/backpacking in Yellowstone, and one of the reasons it is my favorite place to spend my free time.
Listen up people! This is the voice of experience. I love to hike Jellystone with the Scat Master due to all that experience.

Last edited:
Great TR for a great trip, Mister. As always a privilege to walk with you pal!

I was contemplating turning back to keep my mileage down to 10-15 due to my still being unfit from my shoulder surgery. But the Hayden valley and the company energized me and I am so glad I plowed through the whole enchilada. Totally worth it - a world class hike in my favorite YNP!

The Mary Mountain route is my goal for this year. I heard about many beautiful places on this route, so I think to stay there for the night, I'm afraid that the nights there will be cold, since the route lies along the river as my friend told me, and I have a summer sleeping bag and calculated for +9 degrees celsius. I was thinking about buying a new warmer and lighter sleeping bag called the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 Review. It was advised to me by a friend of mine. And also I read an article that this sleeping bag is one of the top ones, here is a link to this article https://theoutdoorsman.org/kelty-cosmic-down-20-review/. If any of you have used or is using this sleeping bag, then I would not mind hearing your opinion about this bag. The rest of my equipment is in complete order.

Last I know you cannot camp along the Mary mountain trail . . It's day use only . May want to call the Park

Yes, there is no overnight camping on the Central Plateau or Hayden Valley.

Yes, there is no overnight camping on the Central Plateau or Hayden Valley.
Oh, that's not good. I didn't know that there was no way to camp there. Please tell me what places with waterfalls do you know, or have you been to these places where you can stay overnight?

There is a book published on waterfalls of Yellowstone ... Pretty extensive. I'd check that out

@oliverdavis - The southwest corner of the park (Bechler Region) is the best for viewing waterfalls in the park. Bechler River, Ferris Fork, and Boundary Creek all have falls that are worth seeing. There are plenty of campsites along the Bechler River, and some along Boundary Creek, but since this is a popular area, they can be hard to come by at times.

Union Falls on Mountain Ash Creek is another good option too.

Last edited: