Maroon Bells early October 2022

shredhiker

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, thought I'd finally post something to share with you all.

Last summer, a couple of buddies and myself decided to book flights from the east coast out to Denver, hoping to do a 4-5 night backpacking trip around the beginning of October. We had a handful of destinations in mind, knowing we were going to be in that window that could be winter weather or wildfire season. We laid out a few options, knowing we'd wait til the week before, and head for whatever trailhead had the best weather forecast. Eventually we decided on Maroon Bells, but chose not do the 4 pass loop, mainly due to the shuttle & parking situation we wanted to avoid.

It was a hectic trip starting off. I'd just finished up a big Yellowstone trip, and had to fly back to SC to work for a few days, & then back to Denver. My friends had flown out a few days prior, picked me up from the airport around 1pm, and we drove straight to the trailhead, only stopping for a pizza & beer dinner.

Day 1

We took a beautiful drive down a few dirt roads, to arrive at Maroon Snowmass Trailhead, around 6:30 pm. Our only plan for the day was to make it in, and find some flat ground with a water source nearby to camp for the night, & officially get the trip started. We hiked through some lovely dense forest, fresh with lots of sloppy mud from the previous days rainstorm, and it wasn't long before we had to break out the head lamps. We followed the trail along Snowmass Creek, trying to take in the scenery while we still had some daylight. We heard a few elk bugling close by, just before it got completely dark on us, though we never did actually see them. We ended up finding a campsite around 8:30 pm. I believe we covered around 2.5 miles and 400' elevation gain.
3747.jpg
IMG_3752.jpg

Day 2

We woke up to a rather nice campsite right on Snowmass Creek, since we'd arrived in total darkness it was nice to see some views of the surrounding peaks filtered through the trees. We got a bit of a late start, due to my lack of sleep flying in the day prior, and the fact that it was super cold that morning. No one wanted to get out of their tents until the sun finally found us. It didn't help that the zero degree quilt I'd ordered a few months prior still hadn't arrived, so I was using my old '15 degree' bag which was really inadequate below 35 degrees. We saw sub freezing temps every night of the trip.

We'd see a lot of brief glimpses of the mountains throughout most of the day. We followed the creek to Snowmass Lake, having to cross it via a pretty sketchy log jam at one point. I was really shocked at how dense the forest was, even as we climbed above 10k. Occasionally the trail would have us traversing a slope or open up into a small meadow that gave us some open views, and the aspens were absolutely gorgeous. Between the late start, and us being slow moving flat landers, once again it was practically dark by the time we arrived at the lake where we'd camp for the night. It was a clear night, and that moon & star light gave us some glimpse of the lake. We covered around 5.7 miles and gained 2300' that day.

IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg
IMG_3822.jpg

Day 3

We woke up to a fantastic sunrise, and unbelievably beautiful sight at Snowmass Lake. Once again we got a late start, this time because the scenery was just too incredible not to hang around and enjoy for a while. We had a decision to make, whether we wanted to head south toward Geneva Lake and commit to making this a big trip encompassing most of the 4 pass loop, or head east in the direction of Buckskin Pass for a lower mileage day. After crossing the outlet stream at the lake, we opted to head east on the Maroon Snowmass trail, finding a campsite where the trail crossed Snowmass Creek. This was only about a 2 mile day, with only a few hundred feet of elevation gain. We found a campsite with some nice open views, collected some firewood for later in the evening, and thoroughly enjoyed our first easy day of the trip. Much to my surprise, we'd only seen one person so far the entire time, that morning at Snowmass Lake. There were a few other tents around, but we never saw any other campers.

IMG_3849.jpgIMG_4068.jpgIMG_4023.JPG

Day 4

This would be our most challenging and rewarding day of the trip. Crossing Buckskin Pass & Willow Pass, which had about 6-10" of snow on trail, coming down the north side. It was a day full of mind-blowing wide open views, snow covered peaks, and wild rugged country. We passed 5 other hikers the entire day, and found a fantastic campsite at Willow Lake.

IMG_4101.jpgIMG_4115.jpgIMG_4144.jpgIMG_4156.jpgIMG_4191.jpgIMG_4248.jpg

Day 5

We hiked out of Willow Lake and immediately started the climb over East Snowmass Pass at around 12,700 ft. Once again, we encountered quite a bit of snow coming down the northern side, thankfully there some faint footprints that helped guide us, and there was only a little bit of calf high post holing. We hiked down the valley along East Snowmass Creek, which started out with big open views with stunning red canyon walls on either side, and some occasional wooded sections. There were a few places where the trail had washed out from avalanches or rockfall in years past, but none of it was too difficult to navigate. The last few miles had us back into some thick forest with lots of aspens. 8.5 miles and a 4300' descent later, we exited at the East Snowmass Trailhead, and had a short road walk back to the car. We didn't see anyone until we arrived at the trailhead, to find a group starting in just as late as we had on day one. Overall, I really loved this area, and this was a fantastic way to end a pretty great year with some big trips involved. I know this place has a reputation for being crowded, and even for October we probably got lucky with that not being the case. I absolutely want to come back here, at least twice, to hike the well traveled Four Pass Loop, and to explore some of the lesser hiked trails in the area.

About two weeks after I returned. home, the cold weather quilt I needed for this trip finally arrived.

IMG_4266.jpgIMG_4268.jpgIMG_4432.jpgIMG_4372.jpgIMG_4453.jpgIMG_4493.jpgIMG_4507.jpg

Beautiful photos - I especially love the lake reflection on Day 3. Wow! :)
It really was a stunning sight to wake up to, especially after barely being able to see the lake and the outline of the peak behind it the night before.

October is a great month when you can hit the in-between windows. The colors and snow are excellent. Glad you shared this trip.

Great report and photos! What did you use for a camera?

Knew this had great scenery but is notoriously crowded. Impressed you had some solitude. I'm betting (hoping?) my 20 year old Western Mountaineering 15F Versalite can still handle temps down to 20F.

Have to add to a long bucket list... I'd need several ibuprofen after a 4300' drop though!

Knew this had great scenery but is notoriously crowded. Impressed you had some solitude. I'm betting (hoping?) my 20 year old Western Mountaineering 15F Versalite can still handle temps down to 20F.

Have to add to a long bucket list... I'd need several ibuprofen after a 4300' drop though!
Lol..... Wait till Winds this year! I can find some elevation gains and loss for you

Lol..... Wait till Winds this year! I can find some elevation gains and loss for you
I'm training already, especially for that last day!! Don't trust that special SAR team...

Thank you, I just had my iphone 12 for this trip. I used a tripod for maybe half the shots shared here.

I was really shocked at how few people we saw, every day of the trip I was sure would be the day that we'd run into tons of people, or arrive at camp to find tents scattered everywhere, and it never really happened.

Relative to some comparable descents I've hiked, day 5 wasn't really terrible on my joints. Once we got down from the first pass, it was a pretty gradual drop for most of the day, and it was great hiking such a beautiful section of trail that's far less traveled.

So happy for you to have solitude amidst such majestic scenery. The photo on the front page is really fantastic. There's so much in that one shot - my eye loves moving around the different parts and seeing all the colors, whites, and shapes!

So happy for you to have solitude amidst such majestic scenery. The photo on the front page is really fantastic. There's so much in that one shot - my eye loves moving around the different parts and seeing all the colors, whites, and shapes!
It was probably my favorite view of the entire trip, especially being the last big pass on the last day, and looking down at the lake where we'd camped the night before, and not another human in sight. That was also the highest point I'd ever hiked to, and surprisingly felt great, which was awesome after really struggling with altitude on another trip a few months prior.

I'm training already, especially for that last day!! Don't trust that special SAR team...
The end is downhill.....I'd worry about the second day ascent.... 2150 in 2 miles .. no trail