Maroon Bells Conditions 2019

Janice

Does anyone know about conditions in Maroon Bells? A friend is heading there July 9.

It would be helpful to know what your friend wants to do. Going to the parking lot and doing a hike is a lot different than actually climbing the peaks or something like the Four Pass Loop. More info please. Here is a link to a webcam https://aspen.roundshot.com/snowmass/

Thanks so much for your reply. They're hoping to do Four Pass Loop and really appreciate any info you can provide.

Hi Janice I live in the Colorado mountains and we still have a very high snowpack for this time of year . There was also a lot of avalanche activity over the winter. I am not sure if anyone knows yet how much avalanche debris is covering the trails on the Four Pass Loop or when it will be cleared away by crews. Crossing those debris fields would be a real chore but maybe it isn't as bad as I am thinking. Who knows. I would guess that there will be less campsites available because of snow,mud and wetness too. So if it was me I would wait until later but I understand about vacation schedules and the like. Would it be doable July 9 ? Yes but the conditions would be less than Ideal. Good Luck to your friends.

Hi Janice I live in the Colorado mountains and we still have a very high snowpack for this time of year . There was also a lot of avalanche activity over the winter. I am not sure if anyone knows yet how much avalanche debris is covering the trails on the Four Pass Loop or when it will be cleared away by crews. Crossing those debris fields would be a real chore but maybe it isn't as bad as I am thinking. Who knows. I would guess that there will be less campsites available because of snow,mud and wetness too. So if it was me I would wait until later but I understand about vacation schedules and the like. Would it be doable July 9 ? Yes but the conditions would be less than Ideal. Good Luck to your friends.
Thanks so much. I will pass this along...

Lost Creek Wilderness will definitely have less snow and mud, and I'm guessing it would be much more enjoyable that week (although it is less spectacular). I don't know the precise current conditions around the Maroon Bells, but I doubt it will be good to go yet. If you have specific questions about Lost Creek Wilderness routes or current conditions, you might ask on 14ers.com (a CO based forum).

If I understand correctly, Lost Creek Wilderness is a bit lower. Do you think it might have less snow and mud?

LCW trails have been in good shape for weeks and not a lot of snow on top of bison, mccurdy, etc. Look at alltrails, lots of recent beta.

Thanks so much for your reply. They're hoping to do Four Pass Loop and really appreciate any info you can provide.
trailhead parking lot is limited get there early. We arrived at 5:30 and the upper lot was already full.

Back