Mapping Resources

Nick

-
Here are some good mapping resources that I keep around.

I get free GPS maps for my Garmin Oregon 450 at GPS File Depot or Miscjung.org.

For paper maps, I absolutely love the Trails Illustrated series of maps for getting a good overview of an area. They're usually available at most outdoors store but I usually get mine on Amazon.

For navigation I use USGS 7.5 quad maps. You can buy them from the USGS Store or at a lot of outdoor stores like REI. You can also make your own buy buying National Geographic's Topo Software for Utah or any other state. That can be really helpful for making specific maps for each trip.

You can also download free Utah maps from the Utah Geological Survey or the Utah GIS Portal websites. They have a lot of different types of maps from the 7.5 quads to the 30x60 Minute and 1x2 Degree series. All totally free but you have to find a way to print what you need.

For exploring a topo map online, I like to use the Backcountrypost Map. For the features I haven't yet installed into that, I use Gmap4. Here's a link to one of my Gmaps: Red Castle Loop Map

Post up yours if you know of any other good ones!

I have an Android phone and use OruxMaps. It is a FREE app that a guy in Spain made. It is the absolute best app I have found for GPS tracking(online and offline). It allows you to download maps(satellite/topo/terrain) to your phone to use anytime. I also use Trimble Outdoors to make pre-trip maps and tracks. I then upload those tracks to OruxMaps because I like the interface better than Trimble Outdoors. Trimble Outdoors has a feature that allows you to print MyTopo maps of your trip plan. I usually print those out and take with me in case something happens to my phone. Trimble Outdoors is nice because it allows you to keep/manage your trip or pre-trip plans on their website and access them on your Android device.

I have begun using GiaGPS on my Android phone for my GPS when backpacking (this means that I have a book, quick camera, GPS, notebook, music (for rained/snowed in days) all in one item). I will have to check out Oruxmaps, I also run Nat Geo's Topo!4 and print out maps specific for each journey as I have issues with damaging 7.5 minute maps.

I second the usage of GaiaGPS, but only for day hikes in my case. Drains the phone battery much too quickly, making it unreliable for overnighters (unless you can solar charge). Easy, dependable GPS app otherwise. Still pining for a real GPS device, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the Oregon 450 or the Dakota 20. Found the Dakota on sale for $203, which is very tempting. Any suggestions?

A while back I ran into a site that was hosting historical USGS quads and now I can't find it. Anyone know where that might be? I'd particularly like to see an older version of the Utah Hunt Draw quad (The Chute of Muddy Creek).

That's pretty cool but not it. It went back into the 80's. I was hoping to find back into the 50's and 60's. Hmmmm....
Not sure what area you're looking for but for "Logan" it goes back to 1914.
Capture.JPG