Manistee River Loop in Michigan

Janice

I had a couple days off work in mid-May and @wsp_scott was amazingly helpful in mapping out possible 3-night routes In Big South Fork (KY/TN) and Dolly Sods (WV). However, my husband had a lot of work to take care of and we didn't have as much time as originally hoped. The prospect of a 7-8 hour drive each way from SE Michigan became unappealing, so we headed up north in Michigan instead. We figured that no matter what we'd get some good exercise and train for our bigger trip out West later this summer. Our expectations were minimal, and we ended up having a great time! It worked really well that we started on a Sunday; we saw some other people, but it wasn't crowded at all and we had no trouble getting great campsites. (We had read that sometimes it's very crowded on weekends.) We could have done this in only 1 night, but the weather was perfect and we were enjoying ourselves, so we spent 2 nights.

Day 1:
We took our time leaving home, drove about 3.5 hours, and parked at the Upper River Trailhead. We went clockwise, first going up the North Country Trail (NCT). Some people find this part boring, and it was not as scenic as the Manistee River Trail, but we saw lovely wildflowers and enjoyed the nice spring afternoon. There are lots of possible campsites (unmarked) along the NCT, and we stayed at a beautiful spot by Eddington Creek (~8 mi from the trailhead) that was in the midst of a pine grove.

Gaywings fullsizeoutput_25a6.jpeg

Yellow violet
IMG_4135.JPG

View from our campsite
IMG_4148.JPG

Day 2:
We hiked down from the ridge and enjoyed our first close up view of the Manistee River. Because of the suspension bridge, the NCT connects to the Manistee River Trail so you can do a loop. You get lots of beautiful river views as it meanders and curves around; most of the time, you walk next to or just above the river, although there are stretches where you're inland a bit rather than hugging a big riverbend. There are numbered campsites along the MRT, and we had decided that around 4:00 we'd see where we were and figure out whether we'd camp that night or head out. It was a beautiful afternoon, so we decided not to rush out and were really glad we spent the 2nd night. We camped at 10B, which is about 10 miles from where we camped the first night and is the last site before the Red Bridge. We had great views overlooking the river, and the birds and frogs serenaded us for hours. Sunset was beautiful!
fullsizeoutput_2585.jpeg

Eastern Hognose Snake?
fullsizeoutput_2586.jpeg

Yellow Marsh Marigold
fullsizeoutput_258a.jpeg

Trillium
fullsizeoutput_2582.jpeg

The bridge that enabled this to be a loop
fullsizeoutput_258c.jpeg

One of many great bends in the river
fullsizeoutput_259e.jpeg

Strawberry
IMG_4217 2.JPG

fullsizeoutput_259f.jpeg

Part of the view from our campsite
IMG_4250.JPG

Sunset from our campsite
fullsizeoutput_25a0.jpeg

Day 3:
We only had to walk 1.5 miles to the trailhead. We decided to head over to Lake Michigan and took a nice walk on the beach at Ludington State Park. Beautiful way to end a really nice trip!

Lake Michigan at Ludington State Park - about 45 minutes by car from the Manistee River Loop
IMG_4273.JPG
IMG_4281.JPGIMG_4286.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4275.JPG
    IMG_4275.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4283.JPG
    IMG_4283.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4286.JPG
    IMG_4286.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 7
Lovely! Brings back great memories. The Manistee River Loop was one of my very first backpacking trips, and until last year, my only backpacking trip in my native state. Love those river views from the bluffs on the MRT side.

Out of curiosity, were the bugs out yet for you?

Lovely! Brings back great memories. The Manistee River Loop was one of my very first backpacking trips, and until last year, my only backpacking trip in my native state. Love those river views from the bluffs on the MRT side.

Bugs weren't bad - in the morning and evening the mosquitoes were out, but otherwise we were pretty lucky!

Where did you backpack in MI last year? We've enjoyed some MI trips and are always looking for new ideas!

Where did you backpack in MI last year? We've enjoyed some MI trips and are always looking for new ideas!
I did a section of the NCT thru the Manistee NF. I intended on doing the whole section (130ish mi) but ended up getting hurt and bailing after about 55. It was lovely. I got snowed on in mid-April. I'd still like to do the entirety of Michigan someday, with maybe the exception of Newago southward, which is apparently mostly crappy roadwalks.

I did a section of the NCT thru the Manistee NF. I intended on doing the whole section (130ish mi) but ended up getting hurt and bailing after about 55. It was lovely. I got snowed on in mid-April. I'd still like to do the entirety of Michigan someday, with maybe the exception of Newago southward, which is apparently mostly crappy roadwalks.
Sounds good (except your injury) - helpful to know about the roadwalks in the Newago-south part. We'll stay away from that!

Glad you were able to have a nice trip, the photos make the river look very inviting for a kayak/canoe.

Helping you plan inspired me to do a quick overnight in Big South Fork, eventually I'll put together a trip report to show you what you missed :)

Glad you were able to have a nice trip, the photos make the river look very inviting for a kayak/canoe.

Helping you plan inspired me to do a quick overnight in Big South Fork, eventually I'll put together a trip report to show you what you missed :)
Wonderful! So glad you benefited from all that great planning. I'll be eager to hear and see your trip report!

Yes, using a kayak/canoe on the Manistee would be great. There are lots of campsites right along the water that paddlers would certainly be able to enjoy. We don't have our own boats but are keeping it in mind for some point in the future...