Lower Muddy Creek in Winter?

slieb

Hi Everyone! I was thinking of making a day hike to Lower Muddy Creek in the Swell from the Hidden Splendor airstrip down through the gorge, but I'm not sure if this is a bad idea for the winter. For one thing, I want to make sure the road isn't completely trashed with all the recent snow. I drive a 4wd SUV, but don't want to risk getting stuck in the mud. I'm also curious about the trail conditions in winter. I'm used to getting wet on hikes down here. On a day hike, ankle to knee deep is fine for me in winter, but anything else would be more problematic than I'd like, especially with my dog, and if that's the case I have a few other hikes in mind.

Has anyone done the Lower Muddy Creek gorge in winter? Let me know if this is an idiotic idea and don't hold back :)

That doesn't sound too fun! Although this link is referring to a hike upstream of the trailhead I'd be starting at. I think the chute is a pretty different landscape than the gorge part of Muddy Creek, right?

but I would for sure want a motel room in Hanksville instead of a cold-ass tent to retire to

Be so very careful of that EVIL MUD that occurs with just a little bit of moisture.......We made that 'rookie 'mistake' 20 years ago driving down a road that turned into pure mud and we nearly died. We were ever so lucky to live to explore another day.

I ended up going and had a blast! The fords were pretty cold, but didn't give me any problems. I think the road might be problematic when it thaws (maybe not?), but in the middle of winter I didn't have any trouble at all. The canyon was gorgeous! Thanks for the input, everyone!1.jpeg

Back