Lookout Peak - January 16, 2021

scatman

Lookout Peak here in the Wasatch is one of those that I had never summitted before. I had attempted to make twice before, once back in July of 2013 as I bushwhacked along the Black Mountain Ridge, but I had a family get together that I had to make that evening, so I had to turn around before reaching the peak. My second attempt was in April of 2017 with my daughter as we made our way along the Mount Wire Ridge, then along the upper part of Red Butte Canyon and up to the ridge west of Lookout. Unfortunately for us, the snow became to deep for us to break a trail through, so we turned around and headed home with our tails between our legs. :( Well, since we haven't received much snow so far this season, Katie and I decided to give it another go, though this time we decided we would take a trail to the top instead of majority off-trail hiking.

We began our hikes at the Little Mountain Trailhead at the top of Emigration Canyon at 8:30 in the morning. It had snowed a bit (maybe 1/2 inch) over night, but the forecast called for mostly sunny skies throughout the day. Our route was a touch over 11 miles roundtrip in length and we figured it might take us most of the day to complete.

The trail was snow covered and a bit icy on our way up. Once we gained the ridge that led to the summit, the snow became deep in places due to drifting snow. So many segments along the ridge, we had to posthole our way, anywhere from knee deep to crotch deep, other segments were ankle deep to being able to walk on top of the snow.

This last stretch wore me out, but we made it to the top. :thumbsup: Once on top, some low level clouds started moving in and drove us off the summit. The return to the trailhead was uneventful and when we returned to our car it had taken us 7 hours and 58 minutes to complete our trip.

Here are some shots of our hike:

01.jpg
Little Del Reservoir below

02.jpg
Grandeur Peak to the southwest

03.jpg
A look down Emigration Canyon with Dale Peak on the left

03a.jpg
Lookout Peak in the clouds to our north

03b.jpg
Wikiup along the trail

04.jpg
We followed bobcat track for a good mile and a half along the trail

05.jpg
The trail

06.jpg
A look down into Killyon Canyon with Parley's Ridge on the left and the Mount Wire ridge on the right

07.jpg
Shhh..................... Be bery, bery quiet, I'm hunting wabbit. :)

09.jpg
The view to the north towards Swallow Rocks after gaining the ridge above Killyon Canyon

10.jpg
View to the east toward Big Mountain from the same position as the previous image

11.jpg
Aspens along the ridge

12.jpg
Katie, making her way up along the ridge

13.jpg
Making our way along the ridge through sometimes knee to waste deep snow

14.jpg
Another shot of Katie heading up the ridge

15.jpg
As we approached the summit, Grandview Peak comes into view to the northwest of us

16.jpg
Lookout Peak dead ahead

17.jpg
Grandview Peak again, across City Creek Canyon

18.jpg
Shot on top of Lookout Peak

19.jpg
Clouds started to move in on us so we had to skedaddle off the summit

19b.jpg
Scatman down!

20.jpg
Clouds moving in on us

21.jpg
Coming back down the ridge

22.jpg
Mountain Mahogany on the ridge

23.jpg
Scatman says, "Every time you see scat along the trail, an Angel earns its wings." :)

24.jpg
Afternoon shot down Killyon Canyon

25.jpg
Little Mountain, with Mount Aire along the Millcreek Ridgeline beyond and Gobblers Knob and Mount Raymond in the far distance

26.jpg
A look back on Lookout Peak on our way down

27.jpg
Sun beginning to go behind the hill

28.jpg
A look back on Little Mountain

29.jpg
Another shot of Lookout Peak in the late afternoon sun from near the trailhead

30.jpg
Taking the micro spikes off at the parking lot

The End.

Last edited:
Scatman, love your weekend hiking reports. Wishing You The Best!

Awesome! Great way to make use of a low-snow winter.

No doubt. Usually during December and January I'm riding the stationary bike and jogging a couple times a week to stay in shape. Usually, by late February, the foothill hikes are back in play and I go from there into spring hiking.

@scatman were you surprised by the snow on the ridge?

A little I guess. I knew there was snow up top after hiking to the top of Mount Aire two weeks ago and looking over at Lookout, but I didn't think there would be much. Lookout is only 8954 feet in elevation and when I did Mount Olympus (9026 ft.) on X-mas Eve, snow wasn't much of an issue and we really haven't gotten any new snow since then. I guess the drifted snow caught me off guard, without the drifts, on the southern exposure, there was only 7-10 inches up high. I tried to come off the ridge itself, but had to contend with the sage and snow with my micro spikes. So I returned to the ridge to take my chances that I could walk across the snow without sinking in. Not sure which choice was easier.

@scatman ... ”only 8954 feet” ... you’re killing me. Having said that, what’s the elevation gain to the summit?

@scatman ... ”only 8954 feet” ... you’re killing me. Having said that, what’s the elevation gain to the summit?

The trailhead is at 6227 feet, so a gain of 2727 feet. The first three miles is up and down with a total gain of around 400 feet, while the last 2.5 miles is around 2300 feet.