Looking for tent recommendations

Hello,

I'm looking for 2P backpacking tent recommendations (trekking pole tents are acceptable).

My criteria are:
- At least 47" wide, (preferably 50" wide) the whole length of the tent
- Weighs less than 4 pounds (preferably 3lbs or less)
- Price range: $300-$400 (I know this will limit the options)

Thanks!

Tarptent! The Double Rainbow checks all your boxes except for the sub-three pound one.

They have a double walled version of the Double Rainbow now also, and it looks great. Still weighs in under 4 pounds.

Going to be very difficult finding a standard tent that is 3 pounds or less and costs under $400.

Just picked up one of these earlier in the summer and its outstanding. Meets your criteria. There's a version with a solid inner or mesh and it can be used without the inner. They had been selling out instantly since they came out but looks like there is a more steady supply now.

Whole package is under 40 oz.

I've used the REI Quarter Dome SL 2 the last couple years and have been very happy with it.

The footprint does have a taper down to 42 inches (vs. your 47) but is 52 inches towards the top. Around three pounds. Currently on clearance for $270. . . I'm thinking of buying a backup. :)

Tarptent Stratospire 2
52" wide floor
<3lbs
$359

Haven't used it, but had a 1p Notch for >8yrs. Tarptent makes some great tents. Don't tell my little 1p 'mids, but I look at the SS1 and SS Li all the time. Looking isn't cheating...is it?!?

Tarptent one of the most reasonable... Had a Rainbow for 10 years, now a Bowfin (dont think they make that anymore) but their other models are just as good.

One note on the X-mid 2 PRO... even though it is outside the price range (Because you might be tempted).
The PRO has a slimmer bathtub, 47" v 52"... this makes a big diff if you both use a wider pad that is 24-25". You have the length to stagger pads slightly in the PRO unless you are on a flat enough surface to sleep opposite feet to head.
Although super light and a great single wall tent, the width when both of us had wider pads was not ideal, and we ended up angling out the trekking poles on one side so that person did not smack their elbows against them while sitting up.

I have also used the Stratospire. It is likewise a great tent.

Just picked up one of these earlier in the summer and its outstanding. Meets your criteria. There's a version with a solid inner or mesh and it can be used without the inner. They had been selling out instantly since they came out but looks like there is a more steady supply now.

Have you had this in rain? Wondering how material performs? Do you use the 1 man or 2? I'm looking for a new tent myself and haven't found many with experience with this tent. Any pros and cons you've experienced would be great! Thanks

I've used BA copper spur 1 man for the last 5 years and loved it- but it is time to retire it. I'm looking at the trekking pole tents and this one caught my eye.

I have the original X-Mid, had it about 4ish years, probably used about 60-70 nights. It has held up great and been dumped on many times, no problems with leaks or anything.

Have you had this in rain? Wondering how material performs? Do you use the 1 man or 2? I'm looking for a new tent myself and haven't found many with experience with this tent. Any pros and cons you've experienced would be great! Thanks

I've used BA copper spur 1 man for the last 5 years and loved it- but it is time to retire it. I'm looking at the trekking pole tents and this one caught my eye.
I have the 1 person and it’s great in the rain. The silpoly is better than silnylon imo. Absorbs less water and less sag.

There’s lots of discussion and some in depth reviews over at backpackinglight. Dan who designed it is a long-time member over there and the design definitely comes from someone with serious backcountry experience. It’s a great shelter.

Update: I ended up finding a great price on a Nemo Dragonfly 3P tent (25% off, plus on a buy one item get another own for 50% off sale where I was able to get our oldest (19yo) a Gregory paragon 58L backpack for $107).

The tent arrived today, I set it up. Feels very good. Weight was well within what I considered acceptable (just over 4 pounds), 65" wide (my wife was not pleased with the prospect of a tent less than 60" wide so a 3P tent definitely became a requirement).

I will provide updates and thoughts on it when I've used it, next summer.

Update: I ended up finding a great price on a Nemo Dragonfly 3P tent (25% off, plus on a buy one item get another own for 50% off sale where I was able to get our oldest (19yo) a Gregory paragon 58L backpack for $107).

The tent arrived today, I set it up. Feels very good. Weight was well within what I considered acceptable (just over 4 pounds), 65" wide (my wife was not pleased with the prospect of a tent less than 60" wide so a 3P tent definitely became a requirement).

I will provide updates and thoughts on it when I've used it, next summer.
That's a good weight for a 3 person free standing tent. Good purchase!

REI Quarter Dome T2+ that we've used since 2014 has a problem zipper, and we've already had it repaired once. So we're looking at new tents, and it appears that the Quarter Dome is no longer available. Any thoughts about the REI Half Dome? I see the recommendations here for Tarptent and X-Mid. How well do trekking pole tents do in heavy wind? Do the poles need to be a certain length? Mine are pretty short (120 cm) so I don't know if they're tall enough. I've also seen recommendations for Big Agnes Copper Spur, but there were some recent complaints about plastic parts breaking. We'd love something not too heavy. Our priority is durability in bad weather. Has to be wide enough to fit our double sleeping pad (50" at top). I would really appreciate info/advice.

I have had to types of Tarptents in heavy wind..... both survived but you need additional guylines. You can probably check out the tarptent specs for pole lengths... or call them.

I've been very happy with my BA Copper Spur HV UL2, which I purchased last year. If you're not too worried about going ultralight, it seems like a good balance between weight, durability, and weather-proofness. I use the 2-person tent for solo hiking, and with the near-vertical walls, it feels huge inside.

The only issue I've had is with the zips, which are getting a bit 'sticky'. However, I've come to realize over the years, that after several weeks camping in south-west Utah, the fine sand will inevitably impact zip functionality. It's usually the eventual failure point for every tent I've owned.

REI Quarter Dome T2+ that we've used since 2014 has a problem zipper, and we've already had it repaired once. So we're looking at new tents, and it appears that the Quarter Dome is no longer available. Any thoughts about the REI Half Dome? I see the recommendations here for Tarptent and X-Mid. How well do trekking pole tents do in heavy wind? Do the poles need to be a certain length? Mine are pretty short (120 cm) so I don't know if they're tall enough. I've also seen recommendations for Big Agnes Copper Spur, but there were some recent complaints about plastic parts breaking. We'd love something not too heavy. Our priority is durability in bad weather. Has to be wide enough to fit our double sleeping pad (50" at top). I would really appreciate info/advice.

Something I have a decent amount of experience with!

I have the 3 person Half Dome. Solid tent. Not the lightest, not the heaviest. Just a good all-arounder that is durable and good quality.

I have a TarpTent Stratospire 2 also. It is very solid in wind as long as you have a good pitch. Wind and loose sand is challenging, but even then, I've been able to pitch it ok (with a lot of effort). I got it in 2016 and have found that over the years, the tension you need for a good pitch wears down the zippers on the fly. One side of the fly on mine is borderline unusable now because the zipper teeth are all messed up from zipping and unzipping under tension. I'd look into the Double Rainbow if I were on the market for another Tarptent today.

And I have a Big Agnes tent too. Durability seems good, but I've only had it one season. Model is Salt Creek SL2. Not too heavy, but there are lighter choices out there.

I think the Halfdome is a lot heavier than the Quarterdome.

I have the original Durston Xmid and it has held up fine in high winds, just need an extra guyline or two sometimes. My hiking poles are right about 115cm when I set up the tent. No idea if that would be the same for the 2-man version.

Something I have a decent amount of experience with!

I have the 3 person Half Dome. Solid tent. Not the lightest, not the heaviest. Just a good all-arounder that is durable and good quality.

I have a TarpTent Stratospire 2 also. It is very solid in wind as long as you have a good pitch. Wind and loose sand is challenging, but even then, I've been able to pitch it ok (with a lot of effort). I got it in 2016 and have found that over the years, the tension you need for a good pitch wears down the zippers on the fly. One side of the fly on mine is borderline unusable now because the zipper teeth are all messed up from zipping and unzipping under tension. I'd look into the Double Rainbow if I were on the market for another Tarptent today.

And I have a Big Agnes tent too. Durability seems good, but I've only had it one season. Model is Salt Creek SL2. Not too heavy, but there are lighter choices out there.
Call tarptent.... they may fix it for no charge.