Looking for a new pack

I have the Osprey Ariel 75 which is actually more like a 70 liter since I use the small frame size. If I remember correctly it weighs 4 pounds, 10 ounces without anything in it. A little on the heavy side, but it does have the wonderful cushy Bio-Form hip belt, which makes the pack sooo comfortable. I haven't filled my pack all the way yet, but it sure is nice to have the room in case I ever do. I tried on MANY packs with weight at a few different stores before settling on the Ariel. I wasn't thrilled with spending as much as I did, but it was worth it to me to spend a little more than I wanted to get the most comfortable pack. I would recommend that you go out and try on some packs to see what works best for you. Go to a dedicated outdoor store where they can give you some weight to put in the packs to simulate what they will really feel like on the trail. Let comfort dictate your pack purchase, and your body will thank you for it.

@Aldaron, that's funny, because i have a 65 liter pack, always carry light weight, yet somehow my pack always looks full ;) I wouldn't want to have to cram everythign into a little 50 liter or smaller. I get comments about my pack size often - until people pick it up and see it weighs nothing compared to theirs. I've had a osprey ariel 65 for the last 8 years and it has held up like a champ (until now. it seems to be dying a slow painful death). i have a granite gear Kia too but i never use it, as the weight savings isn't all that great when compared to the comfort and durability of my ariel. I got the hip belt molded (Bioform or whatever they call it with the oven) after the first few uses when it just wasn't fitting right and have loved it since. as an added bonus i bought it because it's frame size was 28", just the right size for a carry-on. to me it's the ultimate travel and camp bag.

Granite Gear......I use a Vapor Trail 3600 ci and Vapor Latitude 3800 ci, both older. Very comfortable even with custom, additional external pockets attached. Packed 41 lbs on our 115 mile, 13 day Wind River trip with ease.

over the last few years I used a lot of packs and wasn't really happy. My favorite brand are the Osprey pack, too and since I bought my first one I was hooked. They are so comfy, no other pack felt so great.
I started with a Osprey Aura 65 which I only used for one season because it's way too big for me. I have no idea what to fit into it.

If anyone needs a women's 65L pack with a small frame size, I'm more than happy to give it away for someone who will love to backpack with it.

I then bought an Osprey Kestrel 48L which was great beside the fact that the hip belts was way too wide for me, even when adjusted all the way to it's end. I ended up carrying most of the pack's weight on my shoulders and was sore a lot, especially on longer trips with a heavier load at the beginning.

Now I ended up wit an Osprey Kyte 46L, a women's specific pack where I can adjust the hip belt a lot more. Why didn't they have it last year when I was searching for something smaller? The Osprey Kyte is fantastic, I used it the first time on my 4 day trip into the High Uintas.
For smaller trips of 1-2 days I always use my Osprey Kestrel 38L and am happy with the size. Everything fit into it and I would never use a bigger pack for such short trips anymore. Unbelievable that I seriously started wit a 65L pack for an overnighter a few years back.

I guess I need to learn a bit more from Nick how to pack everything into a 48L pack for longer trips, but so far I really happy.

My day pack is a Osprey Talon 11 and everything from camera, food to tripod fits into it, even on long day trips.

For smaller trips of 1-2 days I always use my Osprey Kestrel 38L and am happy with the size.

I'm still amazed by this because I just can't figure out how you guys do it! Do you carry a tent?

Honestly, I carry a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, polypro top and bottom to sleep in, food and rain gear, and that's pretty much it. There are a few smaller things, but they don't take up much space.

I've noticed in some of your pictures that you didn't have a tent, so I just wondered if you always go without a tent or if that's only in certain places.

But I am totally impressed!

I'm still amazed by this because I just can't figure out how you guys do it! Do you carry a tent?

Honestly, I carry a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, polypro top and bottom to sleep in, food and rain gear, and that's pretty much it. There are a few smaller things, but they don't take up much space.

I've noticed in some of your pictures that you didn't have a tent, so I just wondered if you always go without a tent or if that's only in certain places.

Yeah, I carry a solo tent. Usually when using the 38L pack, I backpack in the desert and just have the tent without fly. I also have my sleepping pad, down sleeping bag, food. It fit's in to it.
With my 46L pack I still have to learn how to pack it differently, especially when having food for 4+ days, tent and fly and rain gear etc.

i-SRG4tZm-L.jpg

my 38L pack for an overnighter, I even carry a tripod. Wading shoes are attached on the outside

i-kRCsHLM-M.jpg

my 46L pack, tent on the outside and my camp shoes, too. They could have fitted into my pack, but I was too lazy to do it that morning

I

I always have my tent with me, just in case. You know - I'm a bad weather magnet :)
But sometimes I do not use it and just sleep on my tarp. Depends on the bug situation and the weather. But I never go without a tent.

I hope one day I can pack everything INSIDE my pack like @Nick
I have no idea how to do it, especially the freeze dried food takes up a lot of space.
I experiment a lot with my stuff and try to learn to pack as small as possible.
Mountain trips are way harder than desert trips because I need more stuff like warm layer, rain gear.
But the 38L and 46L both work for me

Pack on left is Granite Gear w 41lbs (mine). Pack on the right is old CampTrails external with about 65 lbs. I custom made 2 silnylon tubes to hold food strapped to sides, then when emptied taken off, the tube on the back holds my fishing gear for easy access. Weight at the end of the trip was 22 lbs, with one dinner meal left. Wind Rivers 115 miles, 13 days...no resupply points.

IMG_0825.JPG

A tent takes up the most space. I wasn't able to go small and lite until I started using a tarp/bivy combo. Both together fit in my hand and weigh less than 1 lb. Not for everybody but I like it.

A tent takes up the most space. I wasn't able to go small and lite until I started using a tarp/bivy combo. Both together fit in my hand and weigh less than 1 lb. Not for everybody but I like it.

I've thought a lot about doing that, but I keep being hung up on one issue: mosquitoes.

Do you have any problems with those?

I started with a Gregory Palisade 80 (7lbs empty, but very comfortable) that I filled with so much bulky stuff (jeans-2 pair, knit sweaters, sneakers, etc) that it wound up weighing over 65lbs. I learned a lot since then and replaced most of the bulky gear with lighter smaller items. I replaced the palisade with a Deuter ActLite 65L that is less than 4 lbs and holds all of my gear including a large BearVault. I decided this year that, since I'm going somewhere warm and don't need to bring a lot of clothes and won't be in bear country, I'm going to try and fit everything in my Osprey Stratus 36L. I'm more concerned with weight than bulk in that scenario. If the full pack is 30+ lbs I'll probably switch back to the Deuter.

I've thought a lot about doing that, but I keep being hung up on one issue: mosquitoes.

Do you have any problems with those?

Funny you mention them. Just returned from a bike tour and had my fair share of skeeters. The bivy keeps them off of me while I sleep but you can hear them Bzzzz. Luckily they only came out at one campground and it was late when I was going to sleep. My set-up would suck if you 'had' to retreat to your tent early in the evening. I usually do not to camp when/where they are active. During summer in W.Va(my main stomping grounds), above 3K ft you lose them(and poison ivy).
I am looking into a separate bug shelter that fits with my tarp(Hexamid) for our skeeter season. http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexanet.shtml
They also make a tarp/bug screen combo option as well.
http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml
I almost bought it but didn't want the mesh all year long as I only need it for a few months. If insects are a major hassle for you then I would look into this option, Hexamid with a screen. Strange concept but people love the idea. You just need to add a ground sheet. Weight is still under a pound. They are pricey though. Cuben Fiber is expensive but strong and very light.

Insects: If they are a hassle at my camp I will either move everything(which ain't much)or go for a stroll until I am free of them. Usually you don't have to go to far....usually:)

I use a Tarptent Rainbow. No bug problem here. Stuffs (don't roll it) to a really small size bag, poles slide in the pack. I'd say my largest item next to food is my sleeping bag. I use a compression bag for it.

Didn't know if it would be wise to start a new thread or piggy back on this one, but here I am doing the latter. I too am in the market for a new pack. After a couple of weeks of some extensive review reading and watching, I had narrowed down my list of new packs to try to a Gregory Baltoro, an Osprey Aether, an REI Crestrail, and the more budget-friendly Teton Sports Escape 4300. I initially thought 45-55 liters would be sufficient, but have moved up to wanting a 65-75 liter that would be capable of handling some bigger and heavier winter gear as well as additional gear for my kids when necessary and more food for any potential week+ long trips I could take in the future.

After renting an REI Crestrail 70 for a trip up Middle Basin last week to try it out for size and comfort I came away wanting for something different and have since eliminated that off my list. It seemed to be a great pack, but my dilemma is that my torso is 21" and my waist is a very slim 31". So, my torso length is almost always falling under the large size offers of many of the higher rated packs I'm finding out there, and while they fit my torso right, I'm finding that most have hipbelts that are just a bit too large for me to get seated and secure on my hips nice and tight. This was my problem with the Crestrail. As I tried to send more weight down to my hips on our hike down from Middle Basin, the pack began to sag a little down my back side and pulled the hipbelt on my front inward a bit too much resulting in some chafing and sore spots across the front of my hips, despite the belt being tightened down to its max. I'm not fond of its color either, so I'm not heartbroken to now have it off my list. I suppose I could still get a large and have it replaced with a medium belt as well and probably be alright.

I had actually ordered a Gregory Baltoro 65 from REI Outlet last weekend (which arrived the day we got back from Middle Basin), but only smalls and mediums were left. I figured I'd take the medium and load it up when I got it and see if I could still make it fit comfortably. Well, I was able to load it up and walk around the house a bit with it. While it is certainly very comfortable, stable, and secure around my hips, given my torso length, the load-lifters still ride too close with my shoulders for effective use of them. So, I'll definitely be returning or exchanging that pack. At least with the Baltoro, I can get it in a large for my torso and have the hip-belt swapped out for a medium if needed. The only other down sides to the Baltoro is that the bladder pouch intrudes on the space in the main compartment more-so than any other pack I've seen, and to exchange for a new one will now require a lot more money. Though, there is currently a great sale on them at Backcountry Edge through the end of the week.

I'm also impressed with the reviews I've been reading around for the newest version of the Osprey Aether(s). Apparently, with the upgrades they made to their hip-belts, they can now handle some heavier loads with much more comfort and stability, that may even rival that of the comfort offered by Gregory, when a heavier load is necessary. Also, if I got a large, it too can have it's hip-belt swapped out for a medium belt. Though, I might be able to squeak by with a Medium size pack altogether given the torso range their medium size pack can supposedly handle.

Finally, there is the Teton Sports Escape 4300. This guy is appealing for a few reasons: Price, its purchase would support a local company, and it is highly adjustable for both torso and waist sizes. It seems very versatile and feature-rich, as do the others, and also has high marks wherever it can be found available online. However, with its cheaper price comes the concern that it might not be as durable or as comfortable at heavier loads as the others and the last thing I'd want is for some stitching to come apart at a crucial place (think right up against the top of the frame stays) while way out in the backcountry.

I know that when I take the Baltoro back to REI, I can still spend more time with a large size Baltoro and both Large and Medium Aethers, but I still get a false sense of comfort and security there with the sandbags and pillows, because their weight still doesn't pack in quite the same as a normal set of gear and no matter how long you walk around the store, its tough to simulate the rougher terrain needed to really test out a pack for comfort. What I can see myself doing in the near future is buying all three of these packs, bringing them home, and loading them up with my own gear and then taking each out for a day hike. If one proves to be far and away the most comfortable and secure, it will probably be the keeper. If all come out comfortable enough, then it will come down to which one provides the greatest value for the rest of my criteria.

Right now my criteria for a pack consists of the following priorities:

1. Fit, Comfort, Stability - How does it feel and handle under heavier loads of 35 lbs+ after several miles?
2. Versatility - Can it be used as an all-seasons pack? Are there plenty of places to load on tent, pad, other gear on the outside to free up space on the inside when circumstances warrant it? Can it tighten down to secure a lightweight, mid-summer overnight load with convenience while also being able to comfortably support a week+ long trip.
3. Durability - How long will it last under normal wear and tear conditions? What kind of warranty does it come with? How reliable is the manufacturer and their customer service? How likely is it that a crucial piece or part breaks or comes undone while out and about under normal use?
4. Cost - Will a higher cost pack be worth the higher investment? Will a cheaper pack lead to the need for a newer pack significantly sooner than a higher priced pack?

If anyone has first-hand experience or knows anyone with experience with the packs still on my list above, or thinks I should add any others, please share. I'll mention here that I will probably end up with a sub-50 liter pack (REI Crestail 48, Osprey Kestral/Stratos, etc.) down the road for quick overnights with smaller loads and ultralight/minimalist experimentation, but for now, priority calls for a bigger, more versatile pack.

By the way, @Colin Parker, have you been able to decide on a new pack yourself yet?

I carried Kelty packs for years and years, and I thought I loved them. I recently got an Osprey, though, and I can't believe how I subjected myself to the discomfort of the Keltys for so long...the Osprey is just so much more comfortable, and now I don't have any shoulder or neck pain at all. Also, the pack itself is a couple of pounds lighter than those heavy fabric Keltys, which is a huge weight savings.

Totally agree. Once I went Osprey, I never looked back. They just fit me really well. My best bud is a Gregory fan. But I'm an Osprey man thru & thru.

WW.... sounds like you are local SLC? Go to the backcountry.com store, you can try out a LOT of packs. All I see mentioned are still the same ole' brands, not saying they are bad, but...there are a lot of other GOOD packs out there. Did you look at ula-equipment.com, they are in Logan. I know a few people who love them. Like I said, the Granite Gear fit me like a glove on it's first trip. Whatever you decide the pack choice brand is what fits YOU the best. Generally if it feels good in the store loaded it will be fine at work. Load it in the store with gear not sandbags.

WW.... sounds like you are local SLC? Go to the backcountry.com store, you can try out a LOT of packs. All I see mentioned are still the same ole' brands, not saying they are bad, but...there are a lot of other GOOD packs out there. Did you look at ula-equipment.com, they are in Logan. I know a few people who love them. Like I said, the Granite Gear fit me like a glove on it's first trip. Whatever you decide the pack choice brand is what fits YOU the best. Generally if it feels good in the store loaded it will be fine at work. Load it in the store with gear not sandbags.

I am in the SL area. I've yet to make it to backcountry's warehouse yet. I ended up trying out the packs in my post several times at different stores and ultimately found out my torso had been measured wrong several times in the process before I found someone who really knew what they were doing in store. After settling that (turns out I'm an M and not an L), I was down to comparing the Osprey Aether with the REI Crestrail. Both had big discounts at the time too. As much as I wanted to like the Aether for its warranty and color choice, the Crestrail, after fitting it right, proved significantly more comfortable on my skinny waist.

I've since picked up a smaller pack from Teton Sports for more UL trips I'm accumulating gear for and summer time overnighters.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Just got this pack as it's only 3 pounds 10 ounces after a cutting out some unneeded straps and the sleeping bag divider. Costs $150 and is a minimalized osprey but with nice suspension. It's a one size fits all so I can have other people use it and over all seems to be a very nice pack. Ill be testing it out this month. I have the 75 Littler but you can also get the 60 littler. If I remember correctly its a stripped down Aether but they kept the suspension.

http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Mens-Volt-Backpack-Green/dp/B008RB3BQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435585503&sr=8-1&keywords=osprey volt 75

So, didn't mean to side track the thread... But it seems like I'm in kind of an in-between spot with my two packs and my usual pack weights.

- DAA

I am in the same boat. I have a ULA Catalyst and an Osprey Aether 60 and my base weight (without food and water) is about 17.5 with the ULA and 19 with the Osprey. The Osprey is much more comfortable at first but the ULA ends lighter at the end of the trip.

DAA, I am heading into the Uintas in the Rockcreek Drainage the beginning of August to do a 50 mile route similar to what you did a few years back. Since you have similar packs and did a similar trip, which of my two packs would you recommend taking ULA or Osprey?

Last edited:
I love my Osprey Aether 60. I've only used it on one trip so far, but it was super comfortable. The first trip I have been on where my shoulders didn't hurt at all at the end.