Lofty Lake Loop - Uintas

Nick

-
July 2010

Today was my birthday so I thought I'd take the day off and get a quick trip in. It was a short trip on short notice so it ended up just being me and my oldest dog, Nikita. Since I was alone I wanted to do something pretty short and fairly well traveled in case I had any trouble. I know for some people a solo trip is no big deal but it still sketches me out a bit, too many what-if's. So I picked the Lofty Lake Loop with a planned detour to Cutthroat Lake to spend the night. It was fabulous.

I didn't stop much on the loop other than at Kamas Lake and of coarse Cutthroat Lake where I spent the night. The fishing was unbelievable. I've had some hot fishing in the Uintas but never so consistent, I actually got TIRED of catching fish after a while!

The bugs were out in force, 100% deet did a pretty good job but my dog was hating it. I ran into a few people at Kamas Lake on the way in, then a scout troop dropped by Cutthroat thinking it was Ruth Lake that afternoon. Other than that I didn't see anyone until dropping over the pass towards Camp Steiner where it seemed like there were scouts EVERYWHERE. Anyway, here are the pics, enjoy.

Getting started on the loop, going clockwise from the Pass Lake TH.
5076664555_fe46a7f297_z.jpg

Nikita cooling down at a little pond below Kamas Lake.
5077259210_9b4dd004ed_z.jpg

Approaching Kamas Lake.
5077261644_c9e3b15449_z.jpg

Unnamed lake just west of Kamas Lake. I fished it for a bit but no luck.
5076668471_0e0ccd4302_z.jpg

5076669257_a6c614c5a7_z.jpg

Kamas Lake
5077264460_abfd744b55_z.jpg

The pass between Cutthroat Lake and Kamas Lake
5076671947_7896d92ac7_z.jpg

Cutthroat Lake
slide.jpg

5077269130_30973d6ca9_z.jpg

There were still some good patches of snow to be found, even as low as 10,400', almost all of which was on the north face or avalanche build-up.

The afternoon was spent walking the shore line and fishing. It was on FIRE!
5076677175_efaef3a027_z.jpg

5077270010_2fbb938a1e_z.jpg

After a few hours of fishing I setup camp and had some dinner.
5076678917_78d5a34c02_z.jpg

And then it was back to the shore to fish a bit more before the sun went down.
5077274550_74639f25f5_z.jpg

5076681831_7cc5392318_z.jpg

Selfie. Feeling very satisfied.
5076679313_e184122039_z.jpg

5076686493_31b4d219c0_z.jpg

Alpenglow on Hayden Peak
5077280904_775400bbba_z.jpg

5077281340_3a5418ff41_z.jpg

I did not sleep well that night. Usually I like sleeping by a stream for the white noise. But the water flow was pretty erratic throughout the night and it sounded like some large animals were moving through it and through the bushes. This pic is looking back at Cutthroat Lake on the hike back up towards Lofty Lake.
5077282130_8b28954329_z.jpg

Lofty Lake
5076690167_1e1b9c01e3_z.jpg

Fixed. Still going through a bit of hell to move this page to the homepage of Backcountrypost.com. :( Getting close though.

And what a great way to celebrate your birthday :)
It really looks like a nice area. I guess next year I need to plan at least one backpacking trip somewhere out there. So I definitely will ask a lot of questions, that's for sure.

Somehow I don't have any problems with solo hikes, I'm used to it. I'm not even thinking about it and just do it.
Okay, now and then it can be a little bit scary, but I also like those moments. ;)

Somehow I don't have any problems with solo hikes, I'm used to it. I'm not even thinking about it and just do it. Okay, now and then it can be a little bit scary, but I also like those moments. ;)

You're braver than me (Nick too).
:cry: <---Yes, that's me. LOL!
I have yet to do a solo camping trip. I hike solo a ton, but I have never backpacked or even car camped solo.

Nick, I think you were at the wrong lake. Those two fish are definitely Brook Trout, not Cutthroat! :lol:

Awesome TR! About how many miles was this?

Beautiful! I love Lofty Lake. I gotta get back up there this year.

You're braver than me (Nick too).
:cry: <---Yes, that's me. LOL!
I have yet to do a solo camping trip. I hike solo a ton, but I have never backpacked or even car camped solo.

It's not so bad. It's more lonely than scary for me. It helps to have a good book or some headphones. A lot of people I know think I'm nuts for going out by myself, but if I stayed home everytime I couldn't get someone to go with me I wouldn't get out as much.

Nick, I think you were at the wrong lake. Those two fish are definitely Brook Trout, not Cutthroat! :lol:

Awesome TR! About how many miles was this?

Not very long. I think it's like around 5-6 miles for the loop plus the slight detour to Cutthroat Lake.

There are a lot of things I like about backpacking solo. It's just generally outweighed by the loneliness and the times that something freaks me out. My first really big solo trip was supposed to be a 5-day, 35 mile trip from West Fork Blacks Fork to the Highline Trailhead. Being alone I found that I didn't really want to stop and fish so I just kept hiking and ended up doing it in 3 days instead! :D

This is a great TR. Thanks for the info. I've only done a few trip solo. Mainly because I enjoy a great challenge with friends. But solo is definitely a good reprieve.

Salud!

I've always been alone, but never lonely on my solo trips. Scenery, wildlife, my thoughts, talking to and answering myself...no time to be lonely!
Great TR and pics. I miss the high country sometimes, 5,000' is lofty down here in the southeast.

Lofty is one lake I have not yet ventured to. Looks amazing. Thank you for sharing!