Lockhart Basin to Moab

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

After watching a very colorful sunset the previous evening and having a great night camping under the stars along the Lockhart Basin Road, I woke up shortly before sunrise so I could watch a beautiful sunrise over Hatch Point. It's hard for me to decide if this sunrise was better than the sunset the night before since they were both outstanding!

The magenta light reflecting off of the clouds above was very intense.

Dawn of a New Day by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I couldn't have asked for a better scene to wake up to than this!

Lockhart Basin Sunrise by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Jeep Sunrise by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Junction Butte lit up across the Colorado River in Canyonlands National Park.

Junction Butte by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

A wide panoramic image of the Island in the Sky catching the first light of the day. Click on the image for a larger version on Flickr.

The Island in the Sky by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Light strikes the top of the UN Tablet and Hatch Point near the Canyonlands Overlook. I spent a great night camped up there in the spring.

Tablet by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Soon some of the clouds turned from magenta to gold.

Morning Clouds by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Ready to leave camp and finish the drive to Moab.

Leaving Camp by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Island Background by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

It was a beautiful morning! :)

Lockhart Road Morning by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

As I approached the end of the Lockhart Basin trail, I knew I would be driving through the roughest section. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't too difficult. I just wish my swaybar disconnect were working, because that would have helped a little bit in a few sections.

This was one of the more difficult sections which probably wouldn't have given me any trouble had I managed to stay on the large rock on the left as I came down. Instead, I turned too soon and managed to land on my rock rail...but that's why it's there ;)

Coming Down by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Rock Rail by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

When I reached the intersection at the end of the trail, I decided to take the Chicken Corners trail out to the overlook at the end, since it has been a few years since I've been out here.

Chicken Corners by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Great views over Meander Canyon of the Colorado River.

Colorado River by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Dead Horse Point on the other side.

Dead Horse Point by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

At the end of the road I hiked out to this corner, but didn't go any further...it was a bit narrow.

Chicken Corner by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

On my way back to town I drove over Hurrah Pass and was treated to this view of Kane Creek Canyon.

Kane Creek Canyon by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

When I reached Moab I drove up to the Sand Flats Recreation Area so I could find a campsite close to town for the rest of the week. I managed to find a nice campsite, setup camp and then drove back down to town for some lunch. After lunch I went out to the Behind the Rock area so I could visit a viewpoint I've seen labeled on my maps for years but had never been to.

Two-Track by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The overlook was labeled 'Highly Desirable Viewpoint' on the map, and I'd say it's a pretty nice one. I might need to catch a sunset up here sometime.

Highly Desirable Viewpoint by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

At the Edge by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

On my way back from the viewpoint something darted across the road about 100 yards in front of me. At first I assumed it was a coyote, but then it crossed the road again and I could tell it was running more like a cat. I drove a little further to where it had crossed the road and stopped to see if I could find it. I thought it would be long gone, but was surprised to find this bobcat staring back at me. This is the first time I've seen one in the wild, and I even had time to switch cameras so I could use my long lens for this shot.

Bobcat by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Then it sat down and kept watching me. I watched it for a while, but eventually I got tired of watching and decided to keep moving. When my Jeep started moving the cat took off into the desert.

Resting by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After making it back to the highway I went over to location I've wanted to photograph for a while. I've driven by this spot dozens of times and noticed there was a nice view of the La Sal Mountains from here that I've never seen photos of.

View of the highway below as I climbed to a spot with a better view.

Highway by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

South by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Just my luck, the La Sal Mountains were in the spotlight this evening!

Light on the La Sals by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

La Sal View by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

>> Lockhart Basin to Moab Photo Gallery

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Bobcat shots for the win. Wow.
You seem to always have perfect combination of clouds/lighting for your landscape shots. Good stuff.

Super jealous of the bobcat sighting. Looks like a healthy cat, which is a great thing to see.

Randy, I'm blown away! Again, fab photos!!! Have you ever thought about offering photo workshops? I would definitely go!

So rare on the bobcat. Nice. I used to call predators in and even when calling cats were very rare. Not to mention that those getting on of those rare glimpses seldom get a shot let alone some great shots. The other photos are stellar as well and as your shots always are.

Awesome photos! I love the last one of the La Sals. You can see all the foliage so well

All of your photos are of very good quality but the bobcat shots are truly superb!

Very cool! I remember walking up this very spot last fall! I really like the pictures, is this some sort of light HDR?

Wow, awesome! If I may ask, what camera/lens? I am looking to improve my photography, so always curious.

I was caching some water for a hike and tried to get to a point 17 miles from Hurrah Pass in a Subaru Forester (starting from Needles) :) Turned around once the road started to go up and along some ledges :)

I'm still just totally blown away by not only the fact that you caught a bobcat like that on camera, but that you caught it so well. Your other photos are awesome, but they are pretty much always awesome. The bobcat makes this more like 'trip report of the year' type awesome. What a dream come true. Thanks for sharing it with us.