Lizard Head, Washakie, Cirque Loop - Wind Rivers

Nick

-
I can finally walk a bit but not very well. Coming up on three weeks now and my foot is still swollen and painful. :( So I find myself staring at maps, dreaming of The Winds. I think I've figured out a nice loop that starts at the Big Sandy trailhead and loops up through Washakie Pass, then to the Lizard Head trail over to the Cirque of The Towers and back down to the Big Sandy TH.

The lines I drew on Google Maps put the mileage at:

Day 1: 6.81
Day 2: 8.62
Day 3: 8.71
Day 4: 7.92
Total: 32.06

So in reality, probably more like 40-45 miles I'm thinking.

So does this look like a reasonable route/schedule? Am I missing anything I should not miss? Or should I plan on camping places other than I've marked? Any goldens out there?

And the topo version:

View larger map.

If they're still in there, Lake Washakie/Valentine area is going to be your best bet. They were in there at one time, but I think the Brookies have over ran them...
Looks like a great trip!!! Couldn't tell you what to hit or miss though...

Ya think early July would be a bad idea, assuming that it stays a dry year like it has been so far? I know the snow melt should be mostly gone but bugs/people?

Valentine and Upper Valentine would be your best bet for Goldens. Washakie lake used to have them. Spearpoint Lake to the North of Washakie is supposed to have some nice Goldbows.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

If it doesn't snow till June like last year You should be fine... The passes would probably have snow. Probably like the Unitas. Skeeters are usually at there peak around the 3rd week of july.
Were talking about a later june/early july trip. All depends on the spring.

Nick- you want fish- here's the best I can do.

Arrowhead- Either Golden, or no fish
Big Sandy- Cutthroat, Brook
Dads- Cutthroat, Brook
Divide- Brook
Dutch Oven- Brook
Fish- Brook
Little Valentine- No Fish
Little Washakie- Golden, Rainbow
Loch Leven- Rainbow, Brown
Lonesome- Cutthroat
Macon- Brook
Marms- Brook
Meeks- Brook
Mirror- Brook
Pass-Cutthroats, or no fish
Skull- Brook
Valentine- Golden, Cutthroat
V- Rainbow, Brook
Washakie- Golden, Rainbow, Brook

That's more or less staying along the track that you've outlned. I have heard that the Valentine area has really dropped off though as far as Goldens.

I don't know what I'm going to do for the next few months waiting for the snow to melt! :mad:
Win the lottery and go backpack New Zealand!

I talked with the Regional Fisheries Supervisor in Lander, WY and he confirmed that since 2006(this is when the WY fish and game started stocking Goldens again after a 10yr hiatus on the East side of the Winds) Upper Valentine has been stocked every other year with Goldens. On a side note, he said that his current inventory lists 43 lakes on the East side of the Winds that currently hold Goldens or Golden hybrids.

Thinking I'm going to do this around the 4th of July this year. Solo if I have to although the prospect of soloing in The Winds scares me a bit more than the Uintas. So this Upper Valentine Lake with the Goldens... I see Valentine Lake on the map and Little Valentine. IS Upper Valentine the smaller one just south of Valentine listed at 10,554?

Thinking I'm going to do this around the 4th of July this year. Solo if I have to although the prospect of soloing in The Winds scares me a bit more than the Uintas. So this Upper Valentine Lake with the Goldens... I see Valentine Lake on the map and Little Valentine. IS Upper Valentine the smaller one just south of Valentine listed at 10,554?

Yes, Upper Valentine is the lake located due South of Valentine Lake. On my map it is marked 10,544. The Lakes just South of there called the South Fork Lakes are supposed to be good Cutthroat lakes. Macon Lake, East of Washakie Lake, is supposed to hold some nice Brookies. I think a buddy and I are going to be in the Winds the weekend after the 4th, Friday-Sunday. We have planned to visit a couple of Golden lakes near Hobbs Lake. Not quite as adventurous as your trip...but we're going for the Goldens.