Little Man Site

IMG_0281-IMG_0284.jpg

In a continued attempt to make Nick jealous of southern utah in hopes of a future relocation. I will just post this quick trail run TR. :D

I had an hour to kill and needed some type of outdoor exercise. I thought of hiking/running one of the cinderknolls in Hurricane, but the sky's were looking ominous and I thought why climb when I wont even be able to see the big landmarks of the area (Pine Valley, Sandstone Mountain, Zion, etc) then I remembered about a dwelling site just a couple blocks from my house. I had visited one of the remains of a pithouse/storage a couple years ago, but last summer while in the Zion National Park Employee library I started reading more about the site and discovered there were about 4 small settlements and one petroglyph (they called it the little man, thus the name of the site little man site)

IMG_0288.jpg

The area where the remains/petroglyphs are is a peninsula like landform that juts out into the virgin river valley directly across from Babylon of Red Cliffs.
IMG_0297-IMG_0301.jpgIMG_0297.jpgIMG_0292.jpg

At places like this I wonder if the natural beauty had anything to do with selection of settlement. This is one of the prettier views of the virgin river and sandstone of babylon.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I.
Hate.
You.

This is how serious I am about moving to your neighborhood....

I've figured out funding to finish my basement, looking for a contractor now. Can't rent out a half-finished house, right?

I'm coming down there in 3 weeks with house listings in hand to go figure out what neighborhoods/areas around St. George we would want to live in (suggestions?), followed by 3 more days in the Las Vegas area doing the same plus some playing in VoF, Red Rock Canyon and maybe Death Valley. You might as well just start calling me neighbor! ;)

Awesome! Must get together when you are down here.

I just found an interesting area of valley of fire called top of the world arch. I think blueeyes hiking group is heading there. Looked cool and off the beaten path.

I just found an interesting area of valley of fire called top of the world arch. I think blueeyes hiking group is heading there. Looked cool and off the beaten path.

do you have any idea in which part the arch is? Have been scrambling the park last year off the beaten path and there were a lot of cool arches.Maybe I have been there without knowing it

Very nice. Again Seldom Seen Anderson you've made at least me jealous. I mean it's supposed to be 70 here today in LA -- but I don't have a red rock playground like that out my back door!

So -- I'm officially moving up my pre-Spring Break trip to... this week! I hope the weather holds up so I can get up there to see some of that neighborhood. Hope to focus on Red Rock Rec area, but might do a little Zion and/or join in on that Valley of Fire Meet-up. All TBD as it's pretty spontaneous for me. :)

- Jamal

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
F Little Death Hollow Backpack Trip Planning 2
scatman Little Mountain - January 21, 2023 Hiking & Camping 28
westy A little bragging General Discussion 1
balzaccom A little help, please? Backpacking 0
scatman Little Mountain - January 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Rockskipper Sayonara, Quiet Little Green River General Discussion 8
C Little Hiking, Little Rockhounding Everything Else 0
regehr Little Wild Horse fatalaties Monday General Discussion 12
W Little Colorado shuttle / transport Trip Planning 7
D New dams proposed for Little Colorado River/Grand Canyon General Discussion 2
kwc A little more Adirondack wandering ... Hiking & Camping 1
SteveR Still Winter- Little Crowfoot Peak Winter Sports 4
piper01 Little Death Hollow, GSENM Hiking & Camping 3
NorthwestWanderer Washington - 4x4 to Bear Lake & Little Deer Pass Off Road 0
o2bav8 A little bit of everything & don't drive on blue clay when wet Hiking & Camping 18
scatman Little Cataloochee Trail, Great Smokey Mountains National Park - June 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 13
J Escalante Natl Mon. Wolverine and Little Death Hollow and overland routes April 22-25, 2018 Backpacking 0
M Escalante- Little Death Hollow Loop conditions? Trip Planning 14
RyanP Little Wild Horse tips for this weekend? Deep cold water in canyon? Trip Planning 5
swmalone Willow Creek to Little Cottonwood Creek Loop Trail Hiking & Camping 0
tomcat32 Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness: Little Rainbow Mountain Hiking & Camping 3
B Utah Backpacking with Little Kids? Trip Planning 3
K TR: 4/14 - 4/16 Nice Little Valley south of Mammoth Lakes,CA Backpacking 2
SteveR Little Crowfoot Peak, Alberta Winter Sports 6
F Little bit of a combo General Discussion 1
kimbur96 2 nights in Little Brooklyn Hut, Snowy Mountain Range, Wyoming Winter Sports 4
George_Washington_Hayduke Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument: Little Death Hollow/Horse/Wolverine Loop Backpacking 0
ashleyoutside Slot Canyon Hiking – Little Wild Horse Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
Jon Carbaugh Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon Loop Hiking & Camping 7
regehr hiker injured and rescued in Little Cottonwood General Discussion 3
Noun Sequitur A Little Bit of Bisti Everything Else 25
rich67 A Little Drive Up Schnebly Hill (Sedona) Off Road 2
Sandro Invite Grand Canyon, Utah Flats & Little Colorado, October Meet Up (Members Only) 7
Nate Levine Advice on hiking the Little Colorado River in July Trip Planning 7
DiscGo Confessions of Stupidity: Little Death Hollow Hiking & Camping 6
Dave Fees coming for Big, Little Cottonwood Canyons General Discussion 0
DrNed Biking The Little Wild Horse Road Everything Else 1
Ross Canaan Mountain & Little Colorado rim exploration Backpacking 16
IntrepidXJ Little Wild Horse Canyon & Bell Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Little Sahara Hiking & Camping 2
DrNed Little Wild Horse Road Trip Planning 13
Scott Chandler A Return to Desert: Little Wild Horse Hiking & Camping 7
WasatchWill Seeking a little help for Fall Break with family in GSENM Trip Planning 4
Red Rock Rangers Little Jamaica On The Water 0
Blake Merrell Cuberant, Kamas & Lofty with a little Mount Marsell Backpacking 18
Ross Invite: Exploring Little Colorado's north rim + Colorado East Rim viewpts Trip Planning 3
Ross Help/Invite:Cape Solitude at rim of Colorado & Little Colorado confluence Trip Planning 0
D Blue Springs trailhead, little colorado river, via FS6140 Trip Planning 0