Lightweight Backpacking Tips & Tricks

My Klymit O Zone pad come with a built in Pillow! :) pad and pillow weigh 12.6 oz. BUT I prefer my down pillow... (puffy in stuff sack!) better than the one I use at home :D

Anyone ever poke holes in their freeze dried meals and deflate the air out? use tape after to plug the hole?

Those look pretty sweet. 3.7 oz each huh? My crocs just weighed in at 6.2 oz each... So the vivos are 2.5 oz lighter per foot/5 oz for the pair. Hmmm... hard to give up the trusty crocs. Then again I'll be thinking of this thread if a strong river current ever grabs hold of one.

I simply bring my old fashioned flipflops on backpacking trips as camp shoes. NO need for anything else.
And I'm a pillow packer, too. I love my Klymit cush pillow, you can't go wrong with 3 oz

http://www.campsaver.com/cush-pillow

I've done flip flops a couple times. They don't work with socks though and the weight is comparable or more than vivos or crocks, so I find them much less useful. I love sitting around camp with my campsocks and vivos on. That's a neat looking pillow...

I've done flip flops a couple times. They don't work with socks though and the weight is comparable or more than vivos or crocks, so I find them much less useful. I love sitting around camp with my campsocks and vivos on. That's a neat looking pillow...

the pillow is perfect for side sleepers like I am . :)

I agree with you that flipflops are a pain with socks, but I still prefer them over crocs.
Maybe I should give the vivo barefoot shoes a try. They look more comfortable than crocs.

They look more comfortable than crocs.

They are. And they're a lot easier to hike around camp in too. And for swimming, crossing rivers, etc. they are awesome. I use them as my paddling shoes and swimming shoes as much or more than my backpacking camp shoes now. Hell, I even use a pair of them as 'house shoes' when I go inside luxury homes to take photos. They're more money than crocs or flip flops, but you definitely get what you pay for. I can't recommend them enough.

Water and food management can be the biggest help of all. Knowing how much water to bring until you get to the next hole can really lighten you up.

Totally agree with this. I used to tote around 3 liters of water in a camelbak all the time. Now I'm smart about it and carry a lot less saving 4, 5, 6 pounds.

They are. And they're a lot easier to hike around camp in too. And for swimming, crossing rivers, etc. they are awesome. I use them as my paddling shoes and swimming shoes as much or more than my backpacking camp shoes now. Hell, I even use a pair of them as 'house shoes' when I go inside luxury homes to take photos. They're more money than crocs or flip flops, but you definitely get what you pay for. I can't recommend them enough.

I guess I'll give them a try. Amazon has a few left for a good price.
How about traction in these shoes? Anything to worry?

How about traction in these shoes? Anything to worry?

It's great at first but it wears down over time. Still good enough for most things, but class 3 scrambling on sandstone has become a bit much for them. I kinda got ledged out trying to climb cookie jar butte in them last fall. Should have put on my boots.

With this new thread, I won't know whether to show off new lightweight gear and throw out some tips I employ here or back on the UL thread.

For example, I just got me a Klymit X-frame pad (9 oz) and an Equinox 8x10 Globe Skimmer tarp (15oz) yesterday after seeing good prices for both on Amazon.

The X-frame felt good when I layed on it last night and matched my slender frame and height very well. I'll be taking it on trips I anticipate any sleeping on the ground for added comfort and pairing it with my reflective car shade (2 - 3 oz) for added insulation, which I now use with my hammock. For colder trips, I'll strap on my z-lite to pair with it. I'm also considering cutting my z-lite to a 3/4 length. Then just take the other piece for a sit pad when the rest of the pad won't be needed. Maybe duct tape some velcro to reconnect them when desired?

For only a couple ounces more than my 10x5 DIY tarp I made last year, I expect the Equinox to be my tarp of choice for multi-day trips where weather forecast is less certain or when rainier weather is probable and I'll want the extra coverage, whether for my hammock or my gear when on the ground. I'll be tying up a bit of shock cord to my guy lines to serve as self tensioners for the guy lines since sil nylon has a tendency to stretch a bit through the night, especially when it gets wet. The self tensioning guy lines should help to compensate for the stretch and keep it taut.

that's the link I figured out after the old one did not work anymore.
And the price is more than okay.
I definitely do not intend to climb anything in them. :)
But as camp and paddle shoes they look really nice.

Trigger pulled!!!
Thanks @Nick for pointing out these shoes to me

the pillow is perfect for side sleepers like I am . :)
I'm need that pillow to keep my head from just hanging there. My neck gets really sore being a side sleeper if I don't have support. I have an old Kelty pillow 6oz. New pillow is on my to purchase list. Figure I can lighten up about 3oz
Looking into new camp shoes too. Not sure if I want to bring them on trips though. But those vivo barefoot shoes look pretty interesting. I have an old pair of Rocky gore tex socks I sometimes take with. Kinda nice to take your shoes off and air out the feet and shoes and still walk around camp. Flip flops are to dangerous for me.

You'll have to convince my wife to let me get a pair now. :)