Lightroom update

I'm still waiting to see what happens with the new Photos app. Probably not going to be sufficient for me but definitely worth waiting to see.

I'm still waiting to see what happens with the new Photos app. Probably not going to be sufficient for me but definitely worth waiting to see.

I thought you were switching over to Lightroom. This update has that capability now. Photos app??? As your main editing program??

I am a 10 year Aperture user and a 10 year professional Adobe customer. I have learned, the hard way, not to trust what Adobe says about the capability of their import and software capabilities - especially new capabilities. I will have to see someone else's beta test results in switching from Aperture to Lightroom before I commit my digital life to the switch. I will let someone else spend their free time fixing the inevitable bugs before I risk my large library. Like Nick, since I am in no hurry I am curious to see what rabbit Apple pulls out of their hat, again, with Photos.

I thought you were switching over to Lightroom. This update has that capability now. Photos app??? As your main editing program??

I most likely will, but I'm not in a hurry. I'm in the same boat as Art. Since I don't need to switch right now, I'd like to see how it goes for others and let the process streamline and also see what happens with the new app. It may not even be close to acceptable, but who knows until it comes out.

That's awesome. I almost never stitch any of the panos I shoot because it's such a pain in the ass. Doing it all in LR will be awesome. Not excited to see HDR become more prevalent though...

I hear you on the HDR front. I think more and more the uber processed cartoony HDR shots are becoming less and less popular (thank god).

Not excited to see HDR become more prevalent though...

I think it's kind of cool and might have the opposite effect. This is a pretty big deal, IMO. I think it will allow you to merge multiple RAW exposures into one DNG file with more dynamic range which you can then process like a single normal RAW file. The way I see it, this would be like taking a single photo with a camera that has an amazing dynamic range and processing it like you would any other photo.

I feel that eliminating the need to use another HDR program like Photomatix might mean people will be less likely to tone-map images which will result in more realistic HDR photos, but maybe I will be wrong...

I'm not sure if that is an update... I click the download button on my typical lightroom update window and it takes me to the website to buy something. So confused.

Yeah looking around I've confirmed the HDR, panoramic features are not an update but a new version of LR... Fairly miffed about this.

Fingers crossed. Breath held. Tantrum ready and waiting. Two days ago I started moving my Aperture life into Lightroom and am only 2/3 done and now they throw this other variable in. Transfer 2 years? 1 year? Transferred into LR5x. Move it all into my CC subscription? Into LR6? Finish the transfer to my LR5 that is now deprecated? The stress. Oh my!

Last edited:
You're a brave man, Art. I'm using Lightroom almost exclusively now, but I still haven't even considered trying a migration. I'm updating my LR CC as we speak so I can try out this new HDR magic.

Sweet, looks like the new CameraRAW have the same features added, so no need for me to jump over to Lightroom to try them out :)

I bit the bullet and subscribed to the LR/PS CC 2015 programs. Initial thoughts are positive, I like the adjustment capabilities in LR, and I like the printer interface far better than Aperture, worth the $9/month price alone. As far as "migrating" my files, I have started exporting the RAW images to specific folders, then a separate export for modified files as 16 bit TIFFs to the same folder. Kind of time consuming, but i am only doing this for images I really like or need. Aperture is dead, and I am glad to be rid of it after working in LR. BTW one thing you have to do before working in LR is to check the "Automatically write changes into XMP" under Catalog Settings, which saves your changes to your RAW files in a sidecar file when that RAW file is exported.

Yuk! What is that silver rectangular thing you linked too. Gross! Do you have a mapper for a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic???? :rolleyes:

ha! I think the keys are the same, even if they are in a funny shape.