Lightening Up: First Steps

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
So I'm taking my first steps to lighten up. I'm going to sell my MSR Muttha Hubba NX in favor of a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. That should save me around 2 pounds give or take the foot print.

I really like the features of the Sierra Designs High Route 1FL but its a one-person and I think I need to stick with a two-person shelter. I like MSR and considered the Hubba Hubba NX but the Copper Spur seems to come in a tad lighter.

Am I on the right track or should I be considering something else?

Also is there any reason to buy the Copper Spur footprint or would a Tyvek one be satisfactory?

If I do need a footprint, I use Tyvek with my TarpTent and it works fine. No reason it wouldn't work well with the BA. Probably a bit cheaper too!

And also, I'm not sure which Copper Spur model year you're looking at, but the 2016 is on sale at Backcountryedge right now.

And also, I'm not sure which Copper Spur model year you're looking at, but the 2016 is on sale at Backcountryedge right now.

Saw that. Way cheaper than from REI with my 20% coupon. How are they as a seller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also is there any reason to buy the Copper Spur footprint or would a Tyvek one be satisfactory?

Depending how crazy you get with your lightening-up, you can pitch the tent with just footprint and rainfly if you have that footprint.

Saw that. Way cheaper than from REI with my 20% coupon. How are they as a seller?

I've only bought 2 things from them before, but I didn't have any problems. Shipments were on time and I got what I ordered. I didn't have to make any returns, so I don't have much to say about their customer service. I looked up web site reviews before buying from them though and they were nearly all good.

Depending how crazy you get with your lightening-up, you can pitch the tent with just footprint and rainfly if you have that footprint.

I guess I was thinking I would just mimic the BA footprint in Tavel. I already have a grommet kit. Doable?

I guess I was thinking I would just mimic the BA footprint in Tavel. I already have a grommet kit. Doable?

Don't see why not. I think there are different kinds/weights of Tyvek. Stuff the ultralighters seem to take doesn't seem like it would take to grommets or the tension of poles in them, but I'm no expert on it.

I usually just spread mine under my tent after it's pitched. However, my tent is very similar to the High Route tent you mentioned, so somehow affixing the footprint to the tent with grommets wouldn't be very practical.

That kit is quite convenient! Probably worth it.

Memorial Day Weekend 2016. I had a choice between the MSR tents and the Big Agnes tents. I bought the Hubba Hubba NX.
A few reasons why: Less mesh at ground level, set up fly only without being forced to buy the footprint, the doors don't land on the floor when open, more durable fabrics and poles.
After 10 days in New Mexico and Colorado I'm very pleased with the MSR tent.
For solo use I just bought a TarpTent StratoSpire 1.
I think I'm set for tents.
Wayne

Memorial Day Weekend 2016. I had a choice between the MSR tents and the Big Agnes tents. I bought the Hubba Hubba NX.
A few reasons why: Less mesh at ground level, set up fly only without being forced to buy the footprint, the doors don't land on the floor when open, more durable fabrics and poles.
After 10 days in New Mexico and Colorado I'm very pleased with the MSR tent.
For solo use I just bought a TarpTent StratoSpire 1.
I think I'm set for tents.
Wayne

I'm glad you pointed out the door-on-the-floor "feature". I find that very annoying.

So the TarpTent StratoSpire gets a lot of mention. Love the light weight definitely. What's their down side vs a traditional UL tent?

I was actually going to mention the StratoSpire 2 earlier, but I opted not to. But now that you ask...

I picked up an SS2 last spring. The downside vs a traditional UL tent is that, like the very similar High Route FL, it isn't freestanding. Thus, it can be a bit harder to pitch on solid rock and sand, and you can't pick it up and move it like you would a freestanding tent. I recently took mine to the San Rafael Swell and was able to get a good pitch on sand 2 nights in a row, so pitching it on sand is definitely doable. Just sometimes not as easy as a freestanding tent. Pitching it on rock would require using rocks as anchors, instead of stakes. Probably decently sized rocks since you need a taut pitch. Pitching it in regular dirt is easy though; I can set it up faster than my friends with their freestanding tents.

Otherwise, the tent is awesome. It holds up in wind, usually doesn't get condensation buildup, has large vestibules, and of course, it's very light and packs down very small.

So what made you decide on the SS2 vs SS1 ?
Just space, really. It's very spacious for one, and I've got friends who don't have tents, so when one comes backpacking with me, I let them sleep in it too.

Man I'm really spending too much time on this when I should be working but... i'm really liking the TarpTent.

The StratoSpire 1 and 2 are available with either full mesh or mostly solid, but breathable, inner tent bodies. I'm old school. I bought the partly solid inner. Adds a couple ounces and $20.
Wayne

My initial reaction was towards the solid inner, too. Must be an age thing? :)