Lewis Lodge

DAA

Spent the weekend camping on Elk Ridge and prowling around up there, North Long Point and Beef Basin, with the obligatory Abajo's scenic drive heading out yesterday morning. Spent one morning visiting the Lewis Lodge ruins. They are really cool group of ruins perched on a ledge in a tributary to Arch canyon with sheer cliff face above and below.

The ruins are spread out along that ledge across from my buddy Tim. There are ruins all along it, from the left edge of the picture all the way to the right.

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-185W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-215W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-221W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-231W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-239W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-243W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-246W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-247W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-248W.jpg

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-255W.jpg

Really well preserved little kiva!

20130801_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-273W.jpg

Cool stuff...

- DAA

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Sweet! It's funny... I never go to the desert in July/August but then I see other people doing it and I get really jealous. Maybe time to break the pattern. Anyway, awesome shots of Lewis Lodge. How much of the ledge can you actually safely walk along?

How much of the ledge can you actually safely walk along?

Once you get down to the level that the ruins are on there is plenty of room to maneuver safely. There is just a little bit of exposure getting down to that level, but it's really not bad. More than my friend wanted to deal with though, he stayed up on the rim and watched from there. I have other friends who have been there and told me they did the same thing. But I really didn't think the scramble down was bad at all, never felt any danger.

- DAA

REALLY GREAT pictures Dave!!

I was there a couple years ago. Snow and wind compounded the exposure / vertigo effect. How was the trek back up?

Marty, coming back up was easier than going down - as usual :D.

It looked kind of sketchy from the top, but once I started down, it really wasn't any big whup.

- DAA

Great pics...how was the road down? What were the temps like in beef basin? Much monsoon damage? Thanks

The road down to Lewis Lodge was in bad shape from recent heavy rains, high clearance required. Beef Basin was a sauna, but the road was in pretty good shape. We got a sustained heavy downpour the night before, then it got up to about 90*. Don't know the actual humidity, but it sure didn't feel like a desert! Very sticky/muggy.

No real extensive monsoon damage, but moderate damage was to be seen almost everywhere. Some of it happened the first night we were there, Thur. night. It poured buckets all night and all the little washes and pour offs were flowing well into the next day. Saw many small washouts occurring right before our eyes. None of it really too bad, but a lot of it.

- DAA

Wow! Nice pics and awesome adventure. It still blows my mind to think people, multiple people, lived in that area in those houses. Thanks for sharing.

Salud