Layering for Tetons in Early August

Exactly! And, I don't remember anyone on this thread saying don't be prepared. And, "lightweight" definitely doesn't mean careless or unprepared. Take the right gear, know how to use it, and be able to set it up and use it in the worst conditions. Understand local mountain weather patterns because the Tetons is different than the Wind Rivers than the San Juans than the Unitas than Sierras than the Cascades, et al. Test and inspect all your gear before each trip. My wife and I get looks and comments all the time on the trail, since we're not dressed like we walked out of a Columbia store or REI. What isn't known is experience levels, what is in our packs (bombproof tents, head-to-toe rainwear, warm layers, etc.). We're thankful to have a lot of experience in mountain ultras (100 mile) as it gives us the ability to self evacuate since we're used to continously moving for 24+ hours. Always, be safe!

Hike your own hike!

This seems like an appropriate place to leave this :)

http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi

@Absarokanaut - not planning to do anything to put my friends and I or rescue units in jeopardy. That is why I said if we are not comfortable with the conditions after speaking to the rangers we'll make alternate plans. Nor did I mention anything on this thread about lightweight, cutting ounces to shed various layers, etc. If anything I mentioned I may even double up on a few layers and stuff. Thanks for your concerns and I am sure with the help I am getting on the forums plus my years of experience out here in the East we will be safe.

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone. I've simply come across a number of gram counters that were not prepared for any kind of moderate let alone serious weather variable.

Rangers will know the forecast for conditions, unfortunately forecasts can change quite quickly over hours let alone days. HYOH indeed but I have things and clothes in my daypack that aren't used for years sometimes. Just trying to make the point the only way to prepare is to fully prepare.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Tetons Crest Trail Aug./Sept. 2020 need a new partner/partners Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
woodmaker_58 Fox Creek, Tetons Trip Planning 1
River Early Season Tetons Trip Planning 4
tomcat32 Table Mountain: A Grand View of the Tetons Hiking & Camping 3
J Avoiding Weekend Crowds - Tetons vs. Wind Rivers Trip Planning 11
AKay09 Yellowstone/Tetons Help Trip Planning 40
jkgear Table Mountain/Tetons Late Summer Trip Planning 12
isleroyaleguy Tetons Indeed! ... Doug and Anita tour 2015 Part 1 Backpacking 5
Scott Chandler Failing to Backpack in the Tetons Backpacking 4
Bob West Side of the Tetons - video General Discussion 1
isleroyaleguy Tetons fishing? Trip Planning 2
isleroyaleguy Tetons planning Trip Planning 64
Joey Tetons, Cascade Canyon to Avalanche Canyon, Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 26
Joey 4 Night trip in the Tetons, Grizzly Bear Lake, Paintbrush Divide, Littles Peak Backpacking 18
Kullaberg63 An ascent of Table Mountain, Tetons Hiking & Camping 7
jdgibney Short(ish) Yellowstone/Tetons Road Trip suggestions? Trip Planning 32
Reid First Week of June Trip - Wind River? Tetons? Trip Planning 9
WYOAMY Static Peak, Tetons Trip Planning 1
WasatchWill Advice for August - Wasatch, Uintas, Tetons Trip Planning 14
Aldaron Wildlife in the Tetons General Discussion 17
DOSS tetons backpacking Trip Planning 7
regehr looking for a mountain range with few mosquitoes in early/mid August Trip Planning 12
Janice San Juan Mtns - late June too early? Trip Planning 4
C Teton Wilderness Early July Trip Planning 16
shredhiker Maroon Bells early October 2022 Backpacking 14
M Suggestions for early April in Arizona, 2-3 nights Trip Planning 2
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
norwegianxplorer Early Season Solo Backpacking during Snowmelt Runoff in Norway Backpacking 0
E Water in the Needles early-May 2021 Trip Planning 3
Jeremy C Early season run to Horseshoe Basin Hiking & Camping 7
M Suggestions for a 10 day backpacking trip in early June Trip Planning 8
Nethos Southern Utah - Late October & Early November 2020 Trip Planning 16
RyanP 5-day Winds trip in early Sep---suggestions? Trip Planning 18
Born to Hike Early June 3-day jaunt on the Uinta Highline Trail: Naturalist Basin, Pinto Lake, Margo Lake Backpacking 8
pstm13 HELP NEEDED- Idaho in Early June for 2-3 Days Trip Planning 6
Happyidiot Winds in Early August Trip Planning 7
Yvonne first backpacking trip in the Beartooths, early August Trip Planning 13
SteveR Got Snow? Early Season Alberta Skiing Winter Sports 2
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
R 6 Day 5 Night hike Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake early August advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
wabenho Sawtooth Creek Crossings (early season) Trip Planning 4
RyanP Lower Death Hollow next week (late May/early June), miscellaneous questions Trip Planning 16
Perry Early Winter Day Hike to Packard Lake Plus Murdock Fire Recon Hiking & Camping 9
M Zion West Rim Trail, Early April 2019 Trip Planning 40
McKee80 early september trip possibilities Trip Planning 10
RyanP Water in Needles District in early April this year? Trip Planning 9
K I am hoping to do a 6-8 day packrafting trip on the Dirty Devil in early April. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
C First trip to Yellowstone, early May 2019. Thoughts? Trip Planning 15
RyanP 3-day trip ideas (15-20 miles or so) for late May/early June with good water Trip Planning 9
M Water in Canyonlands Salt Creek early April? Trip Planning 11