Late spring backpacking recommendations?

astark15

This has been such a useful site for me so far. I'm looking to do some backpacking (preferably 1-2 week trips) in the US toward the end of May / beginning of June. As of right now I was looking into checking out Three Sisters in Bend, OR even though it's a pretty short loop. Does anyone have recommendations on good spring hikes? I was thinking about doing JMT in late May, but I'm a little nervous about the snow then.

Not sure where you're looking- anywhere in the US is pretty vague.
Eagle Creek in the Columbia River Gorge is highly recommended by locals up there.
The Ouachitas might have something good.
Endless possibilities in SE Utah.

What/where are you looking?
Oh, and welcome to BCP!

Sorry for the vague post, but I'm very open to anything. I was looking into trips primarily in the West/PNW. Trips to places like Bend, OR (e.g. Three Sisters) have been recommended to me. I'd prefer something in the woods as opposed to the desert because of water sources, but I am not sure what the snow conditions will be like at the time of my hike. Ideally, Utah, California, and Oregon are the places I'm most interested in looking.

I've also considered section hiking the southern or central California PCT. Any thoughts on this?

Sorry for the vague post, but I'm very open to anything. I was looking into trips primarily in the West/PNW. Trips to places like Bend, OR (e.g. Three Sisters) have been recommended to me. I'd prefer something in the woods as opposed to the desert because of water sources, but I am not sure what the snow conditions will be like at the time of my hike. Ideally, Utah, California, and Oregon are the places I'm most interested in looking.

I've also considered section hiking the southern or central California PCT. Any thoughts on this?

Most of us don't go up into the mountains until Late June/July. There is still a lot of snow, and it can get real cold to be packing for.

I'd recommend wetter desert for backpacking in that season.

I live in Oregon and I would also recommend a later summer trip to the Three Sisters. There is usually still a fair amount of snow and LOTS of mosquitos in the early summer. Bend is a fun town and there are lots of things to do in that area almost any time of year but that is a little early for backpacking in the Cascades.

Thanks for the help guys! We've decided on doing day hikes in Park City, UT in early June and just setting up basecamp so we can easily get to trails nearby.

The Cascades in Oregon usually get tremendous amounts of snow, my guess is they would be inaccessible in June. It sounds like you have already made up your mind, but you could hike around the Columbia Gorge in Oregon at this time. It would be super green right now and the water flow in all of the streams and waterfalls would be nice and high. I'm planning a Gorge trip May/June next year.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Janice San Juan Mtns - late June too early? Trip Planning 4
maisweh Better Late Than Never Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
F Teton Wilderness, late July 2022 Trip Planning 6
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
Nethos Santa Fe/ABQ/Durango Area- Mid Late June Trip Planning 11
The Trout Whisperer A Lil’ overnighter close to home Late Jan 2021 Backpacking 2
Jackson A Late Summer Summit Trip Backpacking 6
chebba87 Invite Looking for partner - Yellowstone late August Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Nethos Southern Utah - Late October & Early November 2020 Trip Planning 16
piper01 fall foliage in Colorado late September Trip Planning 6
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
Tarp Boy Uintas in late June? Trip Planning 10
regehr late 2019 road conditions in S Utah Trip Planning 55
kwc Late October Adirondack Paddling On The Water 6
TractorDoc Three Days at Mount Rainier in late July. Hiking & Camping 10
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
RyanP 5-day route in Winds in late July? Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Mount Rainier in Late July -- Day Hiking Meet Up (Members Only) 0
RyanP Lower Death Hollow next week (late May/early June), miscellaneous questions Trip Planning 16
ramblinman Yellowstone Dayhikes (late May) Trip Planning 1
10KFly Wind River Range in Late September Trip Planning 6
RyanP 3-day trip ideas (15-20 miles or so) for late May/early June with good water Trip Planning 9
dfcooper Late September trip in Glacier. Backpacking 2
N Grand Canyon and southern Utah in late November Trip Planning 3
fiber Invite Late March 3-4 day San Rafael Swell Backpacking Loop Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Perry Late Season Uintas Day Hike Ideas. Bear River to WFBF and Back? Trip Planning 13
Wanderlust073 Utah late Oct/early Nov Trip Planning 7
Rello Wind River Range, WY - Late August Trip Planning 3
tomcat32 Late May suggestions for 100ish mile backpacking trip Trip Planning 1
A Escalante Route - Grand Canyon in late May 2017 Trip Planning 4
McKee80 Getting a late start ... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
oldie but goodie Never too late Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
C day hikes in Canyonlands Needles in late November Trip Planning 19
Perry Late Season / Winter Backpacking Gear List General Discussion 13
Perry Late Season Uintas Trips - What Do I Need to Know? General Discussion 15
outnabout Weather in the Winds late Sept Trip Planning 6
jkgear Table Mountain/Tetons Late Summer Trip Planning 12
Vegan.Hiker Wasatch/Uintas conditions late April/early May Trip Planning 6
b.stark A Very Late Beartooth Report Backpacking 14
JaseTheAce Southern Utah late June Trip Planning 4
Tres Westbrook Advice for Stillwater Canyon Canoe trip - late May. Trip Planning 6
katuah Southern Utah late March - early April Trip Planning 9
Eugene Suggestions for a late April 3-4 day backpack? Trip Planning 4
Matt Price A remote week-long trip, Late-may/Early June, Utah or the Southwest Trip Planning 34
Vegan.Hiker Southern UT, Late June Trip Planning 78
pbax Trip to SW VA in late Oct. suggestions welcomed Trip Planning 1
Udink Invite Late-Season Uintas - Middle Basin Meet Up (Members Only) 9
mtjack Late Fall/winter sleeping bag Gear 2