late 2019 road conditions in S Utah

regehr

I'm going to be in the Kanab vicinity over Thanksgiving vacation, and will post here with anything interesting I learn about road conditions while down there.
In the meantime, would be super interested to hear updates as this big storm system moves through the state.

I'm going to be in the Kanab vicinity over Thanksgiving vacation, and will post here with anything interesting I learn about road conditions while down there.
In the meantime, would be super interested to hear updates as this big storm system moves through the state.

I'll be in the Needles area the same time. I am towing a little camp trailer so I'm hoping the highways don't get snow covered. I'm fairly new to towing.

I'll be in the Needles area the same time. I am towing a little camp trailer so I'm hoping the highways don't get snow covered. I'm fairly new to towing.
I have a trailer and am not very good at towing, my lessons so far include:
- be paranoid about stuff, just keep checking up on things using the rearview mirror and by stopping a lot
- be extra paranoid about comealongs, especially cheapos from the truck stop, they like to loosen at inopportune times, I've almost lost my cooler a couple times
- when turning a corner take it a bit wide, think semi truck
- backing up is very tough you have to practice practice practice

Thanks @regehr , pls keep us up-dated, we will be in Kanab shortly after you. We left The Needles early this morning and went to Denver 4 days ahead of schedule, due to the system.
It arrived a lot quicker than initially predicted. I wasn’t able to find any predicted rain estimates for any area, but Phoenix (not in the snapshot I took) was getting torrential rain earlier today, when we checked the radar.

Attachments

• 922CCB03-8DC6-400C-B3EC-032249E5D879.png
    922CCB03-8DC6-400C-B3EC-032249E5D879.png
    719.1 KB · Views: 14
  • F7EF459D-5AAF-4651-AA37-466A7293F756.png
    F7EF459D-5AAF-4651-AA37-466A7293F756.png
    629.3 KB · Views: 14
Awesome to see that it finally opened up on far southern UT. Interested to see what that means for the roads though as well. I was hoping to get down to the Escalante area next weekend. Looking a little cold.

Thanks, Yvonne. Originally we were thinking of backpacking. Glad we made the switch.

It is kind of looking like the interstate and highways are going to be an issue tomorrow. Seriously considering cancelling our trip down to the Needles.

Edit to note that I mean the highways up North, hopefully not as bad down South.

Last edited:
you can try to drive via Page and then from there to Blanding and beyond.

My main concern are the roads where I’m at in Northern Utah near Idaho. We were planning on heading out tomorrow morning, so I’m just going to get up really early and check the weather and road reports.

Best of luck to everyone traveling over the holiday and be safe.

ugh... my family bailed on our S Utah trip, just going to hang in SLC and hike locally. I was super looking forward to it too!!!

Sorry to hear that, but looks like that may be our plan as well, just farther North.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Janice San Juan Mtns - late June too early? Trip Planning 4
maisweh Better Late Than Never Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
F Teton Wilderness, late July 2022 Trip Planning 6
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
Nethos Santa Fe/ABQ/Durango Area- Mid Late June Trip Planning 11
The Trout Whisperer A Lil’ overnighter close to home Late Jan 2021 Backpacking 2
Jackson A Late Summer Summit Trip Backpacking 6
chebba87 Invite Looking for partner - Yellowstone late August Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Nethos Southern Utah - Late October & Early November 2020 Trip Planning 16
piper01 fall foliage in Colorado late September Trip Planning 6
U Just picked up a permit for Shelf Lake 2 nights in Mid/Late July. Any ideas for a day hike/summit from there? Trip Planning 0
Tarp Boy Uintas in late June? Trip Planning 10
kwc Late October Adirondack Paddling On The Water 6
TractorDoc Three Days at Mount Rainier in late July. Hiking & Camping 10
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
RyanP 5-day route in Winds in late July? Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Mount Rainier in Late July -- Day Hiking Meet Up (Members Only) 0
RyanP Lower Death Hollow next week (late May/early June), miscellaneous questions Trip Planning 16
ramblinman Yellowstone Dayhikes (late May) Trip Planning 1
10KFly Wind River Range in Late September Trip Planning 6
RyanP 3-day trip ideas (15-20 miles or so) for late May/early June with good water Trip Planning 9
dfcooper Late September trip in Glacier. Backpacking 2
N Grand Canyon and southern Utah in late November Trip Planning 3
fiber Invite Late March 3-4 day San Rafael Swell Backpacking Loop Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Perry Late Season Uintas Day Hike Ideas. Bear River to WFBF and Back? Trip Planning 13
Wanderlust073 Utah late Oct/early Nov Trip Planning 7
Rello Wind River Range, WY - Late August Trip Planning 3
tomcat32 Late May suggestions for 100ish mile backpacking trip Trip Planning 1
A Escalante Route - Grand Canyon in late May 2017 Trip Planning 4
McKee80 Getting a late start ... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
oldie but goodie Never too late Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
C day hikes in Canyonlands Needles in late November Trip Planning 19
Perry Late Season / Winter Backpacking Gear List General Discussion 13
Perry Late Season Uintas Trips - What Do I Need to Know? General Discussion 15
outnabout Weather in the Winds late Sept Trip Planning 6
jkgear Table Mountain/Tetons Late Summer Trip Planning 12
Vegan.Hiker Wasatch/Uintas conditions late April/early May Trip Planning 6
b.stark A Very Late Beartooth Report Backpacking 14
JaseTheAce Southern Utah late June Trip Planning 4
Tres Westbrook Advice for Stillwater Canyon Canoe trip - late May. Trip Planning 6
katuah Southern Utah late March - early April Trip Planning 9
Eugene Suggestions for a late April 3-4 day backpack? Trip Planning 4
Matt Price A remote week-long trip, Late-may/Early June, Utah or the Southwest Trip Planning 34
Vegan.Hiker Southern UT, Late June Trip Planning 78
pbax Trip to SW VA in late Oct. suggestions welcomed Trip Planning 1
Udink Invite Late-Season Uintas - Middle Basin Meet Up (Members Only) 9
astark15 Late spring backpacking recommendations? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
mtjack Late Fall/winter sleeping bag Gear 2