Laggy Scrolling

Foe everybody with laggy scrolling issues, I recommend simply upgrading to BCP Pro. Scrolls faster, you can browse trip reports from the future, and they drain Glen Canyon for you when you're in the area. Comes with a Scatnan BCP hat.

For just the low subscription rate of $20 per year! Where's @Dave?! :D

But seriously, thank you all for bringing this to my attention. Lag should be expected on huge image intensive posts like the "your favorites of 2017" thread and also where people have linked to external images that are way too big, but the rest of the time it should be quick and snappy. Fixing this particular issue with a scalpel is above my pay grade, but I have a bunch of software updates to do and I should really do a site design upgrade as well and that should knock it out. I will try to accomplish this in the next couple of months during winter downtime. This also leads into some other things that I need to bring up with the BCP community about how the site is kept up and what you want the place to be like in the future, but that's another thread...

I use an iPad and MacBook Air both with Safari and a MacPro with Crome and have never had a problem. Just throwing my stats into the hat.

As for a future upgrade, hows about making it so the photos can be viewed as panoramic 3-D so it feels like we're actually there? We could purchase 3-D @scatman Glasses to go along with the upgrade. The glasses would emit the vague scent of campfire smoke when worn.

Last edited:
Foe everybody with laggy scrolling issues, I recommend simply upgrading to BCP Pro. Scrolls faster, you can browse trip reports from the future, and they drain Glen Canyon for you when you're in the area. Comes with a Scatnan BCP hat.

So that's how you get one. Well then I've got lagging issues too with windows 10 and chrome. :)

For just the low subscription rate of $20 per year! Where's @Dave?! :D

But seriously, thank you all for bringing this to my attention. Lag should be expected on huge image intensive posts like the "your favorites of 2017" thread and also where people have linked to external images that are way too big, but the rest of the time it should be quick and snappy. Fixing this particular issue with a scalpel is above my pay grade, but I have a bunch of software updates to do and I should really do a site design upgrade as well and that should knock it out. I will try to accomplish this in the next couple of months during winter downtime. This also leads into some other things that I need to bring up with the BCP community about how the site is kept up and what you want the place to be like in the future, but that's another thread...

It's a great site Nick. I hope it didn't sound too much like whining when I brought it up. It was just a little painful when wanting to soak in all the beautiful images that people post on here.

Sounds like there could be various reasons for the lagginess. The best solutions I've found for myself would be:

1) Use IE if I want no problems.
2) If using Chrome, try what I mentioned earlier: Deselected the "Use hardware acceleration when available" setting in Chrome's advanced settings. It seems to help quite a bit.

I use an iPad and MacBook Air both with Safari and a MacPro with Crome and have never had a problem. Just throwing my stats into the hat.

As for a future upgrade, hows about making it so the photos can be viewed as panoramic 3-D so it feels like we're actually there? We could purchase 3-D @scatman Glasses to go along with the upgrade. The glasses would emit the vague scent of campfire smoke when worn.

Oh, now you've done it. No one was supposed to know about the 3-D Scatman Glasses for at least another 6 months! Well, now that the grizzly is out of the bag so to speak, one needs to listen very carefully. Never use the 3-D Scatman Glasses while wearing the BCP Scatman hat. If you do, you will instantaneously find yourself in Yellowstone (of course) smack dab in the middle of the Madison Plateau with nothing but snags, downed logs and young lodgepole as far as you can see in every direction. Of course this will bring a smile to your face as you decide which way you should go.

Madison_Plateau.jpg
A Scat Map

Madison_Plateau_02.jpg
North? South? East or West?

Of course by this time you've noticed the snug, form fitting Scatman Boots on your feet.

Madison_Plateau_03.jpg
Scatman Boots

Of course, these aren't just regular boots. No, no. They are magical in a sense, like Dorothy's slippers in the Wizard of Oz. Just tap your heels
and say there is no place like Yellowstone and you'll be returned to your original predicament - using silly 3-D glasses while donning a silly hat. :D

Do I see a Scatman Wand there on the drawing board? :)

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a TR for a place called Laggy Scrolling, like someplace in Scotland or Wales or something.

You wouldn't want to do that because not only are Scat Maps senseless, but everything would be in Yellowstone. :)
Well, that makes perfect sense to me, since Yellowstone is directly above the center of the Earth. And a bit OT, but I was doing some research on Yellowstone last summer and it looks like the actual deepest part of the caldera is directly under Dillon, Montana, just in case anyone was wondering.

It's a great site Nick. I hope it didn't sound too much like whining when I brought it up. It was just a little painful when wanting to soak in all the beautiful images that people post on here.

Sounds like there could be various reasons for the lagginess. The best solutions I've found for myself would be:

1) Use IE if I want no problems.
2) If using Chrome, try what I mentioned earlier: Deselected the "Use hardware acceleration when available" setting in Chrome's advanced settings. It seems to help quite a bit.

Not at all! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Did anything change recently on the server? Scrolling seems to be MUCH better for me all of a sudden. I'm using Chrome and still have "Use hardware acceleration when available" selected (deselecting it didn't seem to help in my case.)

In any case... :twothumbs:

- JG

Did anything change recently on the server? Scrolling seems to be MUCH better for me all of a sudden. I'm using Chrome and still have "Use hardware acceleration when available" selected (deselecting it didn't seem to help in my case.)

In any case... :twothumbs:

- JG

No, but a big upgrade is coming shortly. Glad it’s working well now though!

I'm experiencing the same thing @Jammer ...it's fast again. I even re-selected the Chrome hardware acceleration option. Cool. Possibly a Chrome update/fix?

Back