Knapsack Col

Nick

-
Anyone ever crossed Knapsack Col between Titcomb Basin and Peak Lake in the Wind Rivers? Any thoughts on what to expect for a mid-August crossing? Sounds reasonable from what I've read but would love any other insight. I'm hoping to do it with just trekking poles and no spikes.

View Larger Map

I crossed it twice last year, once on July 4th, and once in late august. Early July there was a large cornice that had to be chopped for steps. Late august was much more tedious, because there was no more snow to kick steps into, instead it was solid ice. It tends to be two inches of dirt on top, which makes for difficult footing. It was manageable without spikes, but certainly very slow. My brother didn't enjoy it. You could, in theory, stay on the large boulders on the north side of the glacier and avoid the ice, but that looked even more tedious.

Not sure how comfortable you are on glaciers like that where it's solid ice, but I'd say spikes definitely wouldn't hurt. Be the only place you need 'em though.

What's your route? Will that require you to backtrack?

I also think it's easier to go up from titcomb, rather than down. It's definitely steep enough that you'd need to be able to self arrest if you slipped on the top section. Let me see if I can find some photos.

No backtrack. We're starting at Green River Lakes and ending at Elkhart. A leisurely 6 days with the option to stay an extra day if needed/wanted.

Yeah, in that case you could go either way. Knapsack is definitely prettier, but going over shannon is not a bad option. There is much better fishing that entire stretch, from Elbow to Island, than there is going into Titcomb. What's your itinerary right now? Are you going over Wall-Island too?

On the August trip I have no photos of that stretch. Looks like I put my camera away and didn't pull it out while we were on the glacier... Blast.

Cool. I'd definitely rather do Shannon than have to pack spikes or have a hellacious descent on solid ice. Wall/Island is on the maybe list. We'll probably see how we're feeling once we get into Titcomb whether we do a layover there or extend the trip an extra night.

Lots have, I haven't. Generally stay away from there (people). From what I've seen I'd go for it..........
Timing on the snow makes the difference.

Back